Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 660  (Read 95010 times)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »
BTW Newegg just dropped the price on the Sandisk to $106.99  just a day after I paid $124  >:(
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »
what's newegg's price policy?  Likely a simple phone call will get 'em to credit you the difference.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »
what's newegg's price policy?  Likely a simple phone call will get 'em to credit you the difference.

Good Call!

I'll Check.

+T

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »
BTW Newegg just dropped the price on the Sandisk to $106.99  just a day after I paid $124  >:(

106.99.. wow... at that price, having an OTG drive hardly seems worthwhile.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2006, 01:54:37 PM »

...well I do have 40 Gig on the OTG  : )

I was thinking about festivals like High Sierra you could walk around with the OTG and just dump data from other rigs from the shows you didn't see.

The Pack (Patch) Rat of the Future

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »
I just made a really clean recording with the 660 this past weekend.  Elvin Bishop.  Its in the Kickdown if you're on the fence with this box.  I'm quite impressed with the 660.  Quite impressed.  My third outing with it and my best recording so far.  Used a Kingston 4GB 45x card and got no noise issues.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69116.msg926263#msg926263

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2006, 09:30:58 PM »
I just made a really clean recording with the 660 this past weekend.  Elvin Bishop.  Its in the Kickdown if you're on the fence with this box.  I'm quite impressed with the 660.  Quite impressed.  My third outing with it and my best recording so far.  Used a Kingston 4GB 45x card and got no noise issues.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69116.msg926263#msg926263

I find mine sounding better and better....some might be location, venue and sound system related. My best recording so far. Widespread Panic Greek Berkeley 7/8/06. Enjoy!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=26990

...well I do have 40 Gig on the OTG  : )

I was thinking about festivals like High Sierra you could walk around with the OTG and just dump data from other rigs from the shows you didn't see.

The Pack (Patch) Rat of the Future

I brought my photohard drive to High Sierra this year(Inoi 20 GB)...though about asking for others recordings for CF download but figured I had 11 recordings to deal with of my own. I just want to buy a faster one/more memory in the future but I'm holding out for the US release of this unit....will play mp3 and uses AA batteries. http://www.compactdrive.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=29&model=specs_md80&model=feat_md80
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »
for the record... transfer via a card reader vs using the 660 > USB doesn't seem to have any bearing on the noise (someone said it may) and doing the same test as I did with the xlr except using the line in resulted in almost -0- noise... absolutly no problems going line in.

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:56 PM »
inaugural run with mine on Sunday for mule... can't wait! first run with the 480s too!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2006, 01:22:20 PM »
OK... well needless to say, this noise "issue" has been bugging the hell out of me.  I tried one more test, and now I think this is all bunk.  The testing I was doing, as stated by someonw else in this thread, was not a real test because no mics were connectd.  I connected mics and low and behold the noise went away.  Maybe it is some sort of a grounding issue, but the clicking completely goes away when I connect mics.  Here is my whole comp set using my Ridata 80x 2gb card.

Matt

***EDIT*** 2 samples replaced.... I had normalized a couple of them for another test.  Current fileset is correct.  Also mic test was done with the 10db mic pads on, screens and both mics under a comforter and a couple pillows in my bed.

Matt
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:29:43 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2006, 02:07:44 PM »
OK... well needless to say, this noise "issue" has been bugging the hell out of me.  I tried one more test, and now I think this is all bunk.  The testing I was doing, as stated by someonw else in this thread, was not a real test because no mics were connectd.  I connected mics and low and behold the noise went away.  Maybe it is some sort of a grounding issue, but the clicking completely goes away when I connect mics.  Here is my whole comp set using my Ridata 80x 2gb card.

Matt

***EDIT*** 2 samples replaced.... I had normalized a couple of them for another test.  Current fileset is correct.  Also mic test was done with the 10db mic pads on, screens and both mics under a comforter and a couple pillows in my bed.

Matt

+T for the work.... :cheers:
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »

Matt

Glad to hear it solved your issues.  This was the test that Doug told me to run, so I'm not sure if it's "bunk" so much as not reflective of actual field situations.  I guess my deck is just an anomily because it has the same noise mics or no mics. 
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »

Matt

Glad to hear it solved your issues.  This was the test that Doug told me to run, so I'm not sure if it's "bunk" so much as not reflective of actual field situations.  I guess my deck is just an anomily because it has the same noise mics or no mics. 

no insult/hard feelings was intended with my "bunk" comment!   I believe there is more to the issue than card speed/brand.  It seems also from my last test that any issue is irrelevant in a real world situation.

Matt

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2006, 04:08:06 PM »
This is such a weird issue... looking forward to trying to help you folks figure it out when I get my unit...

Offline agave

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
on my 660 acm ,the only time i ever got clicking was when i was uploading to the pc byway of the onboard USB cable port , switched to a sandisk "12 in one" flash card reader for the uploads no clicks ! end of problem. the "12 in one" uploads way,way faster than uploading from the deck , i've used the 2 g/b PNY cards so far no problems as it's one of the marantz reccommented cards  .I am getting more. I don't like the idea of having all my eggs in same basket/flash card  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com