Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 660  (Read 94952 times)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #330 on: December 16, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
.... Lexar + WCM660 = :headphones:

what is the speed of the card? i noticed some noise when i used an 80X 1gb lexar a few weeks ago.

133x  I'll listen again on Cans but didn't hear any noise through the monitors.

I had been having card errors with SanDisk.  I went through about 30 format, 30 power on, and 30 record cycles with no problems and the first recordings were a relief after the last two events.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #331 on: December 16, 2006, 10:48:25 AM »
fwiw folks, as this is a 16bit recorder there is absolutely no need to buy a "performance" card like this 133x.
a plain ol POS 40x or slower will do the trick just fine.

Offline Bloomer

• Taperssection Regular
  • Someones got to turn the page....
« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2006, 03:56:24 PM »
I'm just as happy as good O Saint Nick this time of year with my ACM 660
SP-CMC-8>ACM 660

Offline dcaley

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Toronto
    • http://www.davecaley.com
« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
ditto. im extremely happy with this recorder. though im to keep watching this fostex fr-2le. as for cf card, on my 660 ive only used a 2gb ridata 80x, 1gb lexar 80x, and a 4gb kingston 45x. so far, i think, the best results have been with the kingston card.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #334 on: December 17, 2006, 09:25:33 AM »
fwiw folks, as this is a 16bit recorder there is absolutely no need to buy a "performance" card like this 133x.

Understood.  The reason I went with it... Marantz wants you to use lexar, it's thier stock tech support answer.  I wanted to have that base covered and I wanted a card that would be reliable in the machine.  Searching for a 4GB Lexar card from a retailer... guess which ones are available.  Only High speed. Of those the 133x was the best price I could find in 4GB Size.  I know that there is no increased performance, companies just don't seem to be making slower cards due to trends in the technology in general.  The only single speed cards I found were PNY, Crucial, SanDisk and some knock offs.  PNY was on the list but after speaking with the folks that supposedly know the technology I wanted the most compatible with the machine.

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #335 on: December 18, 2006, 02:08:24 AM »

Understood.  The reason I went with it... Marantz wants you to use lexar, it's thier stock tech support answer.  I wanted to have that base covered and I wanted a card that would be reliable in the machine.  Searching for a 4GB Lexar card from a retailer... guess which ones are available.  Only High speed. Of those the 133x was the best price I could find in 4GB Size.  I know that there is no increased performance, companies just don't seem to be making slower cards due to trends in the technology in general.  The only single speed cards I found were PNY, Crucial, SanDisk and some knock offs.  PNY was on the list but after speaking with the folks that supposedly know the technology I wanted the most compatible with the machine.

good point, Marantz service is really good, but if you have an issue with memory compatibility, then it really does cut through a lot of nonsense to be using one of the Marantz recommended cards.
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #336 on: December 18, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »
that'll work.
also, the card will be around for other recorders and higher resolution.

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #337 on: December 18, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
that'll work.
also, the card will be around for other recorders and higher resolution.

the reason i mention this is that i had issues with Sandisk 4 GB card. it's not one of the Marantz recommended cards. I was back and forth with both Marantz and Sandisk tech support and in the end, it was an issue with the Sandisk card. Sandisk was more than willing to provide a replacement, but it took some effort talking to one, then tech support areas other over this. Individually, they were both great, but having to play go-between wasn't without frustration.

BTW, the replacement Sandisk has been flawless (knock on wood) for about a year now.
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #338 on: December 18, 2006, 10:08:41 PM »
I used sandisk cards w/my 660 w/o issue.  only card that puked on me was a transend, I believe.  something...I guess I dont recall.  actualy, I think it was some no name POS.

never be afraid to buy the best, you're seldom disappointed...someone once said to me.  I'm still cheap

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #339 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »
if i run line-in via the xlrs, as opposed to mic-in, am i "bypassing" the ACMod? i tried Doug yesterday but haven't heard back yet so i thought i'd tap the knowledge base here. what i'm really getting at is this...if i run an NBox+ in front of the ACM660 will i be "messing" with the ACM sound. thanks for any input!!
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2006, 08:26:31 PM »
if i run line-in via the xlrs, as opposed to mic-in, am i "bypassing" the ACMod? i tried Doug yesterday but haven't heard back yet so i thought i'd tap the knowledge base here. what i'm really getting at is this...if i run an NBox+ in front of the ACM660 will i be "messing" with the ACM sound. thanks for any input!!

The XLR's are technically the mic inputs.  The gain stage is set so that you can run into that input with up to a +4dB signal which is the line out level of most boards. The line in is actually disabled on the ACM to my knowledge.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »

The XLR's are technically the mic inputs.  The gain stage is set so that you can run into that input with up to a +4dB signal which is the line out level of most boards. The line in is actually disabled on the ACM to my knowledge.

thanks Jammin'!! +T

Offline Bloomer

• Taperssection Regular
  • Someones got to turn the page....
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »
Has anyone used the line out for patching?  I'm wondering what kind of results one could get!
SP-CMC-8>ACM 660

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #343 on: December 26, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »
Has anyone used the line out for patching?  I'm wondering what kind of results one could get!

the line out is disabled on the acm660 but you may be able to patch out of the headphone jack.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »

the line out is disabled on the acm660 but you may be able to patch out of the headphone jack.

Wait, I think you're talking line in is disabled. I've had people patch to my line out but I haven't heard their recordings. They do get levels. I know you have to have line out selected on your preset menu.

I actually recorded a show not to long ago where I had the speaker selected for output and I started hearing a noise and found that it was the speaker that was playing the recording.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com