Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: would a digital voice recorder work?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline kabubbies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
would a digital voice recorder work?
« on: February 04, 2005, 05:30:10 PM »
Im was curious if a digital voice recorder would work for some basic taping needs? I'm not looking to do this often, just once or twice for a friends band and not looking to spend a ton. It would either have a straight soundboard hook in or stero mics right into a mic in? I was thinking along the lines of the Olympus DM-10 or 20. anyone have any ideas on if this would be a terrible idea and i should just spring for some real stuff or may this work? btw, this is not stealth.

keith

urobouros

Re: would a digital voice recorder work?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »
anyone have any ideas on if this would be a terrible idea and i should just spring for some real stuff or may this work?

That all depends on how listenable you want this recording.  Aside from the probable file size limit issue that plagues most digital voice recorders, the quality of the mic will dictate a lot about the quality of the recording.  The sound won't be that similar to the actual performance unless you spring for some decent mics.  It all depends on your budget and quality of recording.

Offline kabubbies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:18 PM »
i think i could get my hands on some decent mics, and some of them allow for hours of recording, i think i might give it a shot unless someone else has a really large objections

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 06:22:47 PM »
unless they can be had for $170 or less, just find a used or refurbed jb3.  that is, unless you're concerned with the actual size of the unit (which is about the size of a discman). 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 06:43:14 PM »
i think i could get my hands on some decent mics, and some of them allow for hours of recording, i think i might give it a shot unless someone else has a really large objections

can you run line in (or even Mic in) to a digital voice recorder? If you can't and are limiited to the internal mic there's no way I would use a digital voice recorder. The internal mic will be completely distorted and the tape would be awful.

I would really recommend looking at something other than a mini digital voice recorder.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 07:09:56 PM »
id venture to *guess* that the bit depth and sample rate is probably like 8-bit/22khz on a digital voice recorder that records for hours, and probably mono taboot!

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 07:11:12 PM »
id venture to *guess* that the bit depth and sample rate is probably like 8-bit/22khz on a digital voice recorder that records for hours, and probably mono taboot!

yeah I doubt it would be listenable...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline kabubbies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:56:02 AM »
there is a line in, and it records in stero, there are some reports of people using them before? where might someone find a refurbished jb3? here, ebay, a store? thanks!

urobouros

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 02:46:12 AM »
ebay or the yard sale is your best bet

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com