Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie question: where do i point my mics?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
newbie question: where do i point my mics?
« on: March 22, 2005, 11:56:09 PM »
hey guys,

First, sorry for asking such a stupid q, which is either so obvious that it's never been asked before, or it's been asked 3 billion times and if I spent 2 mins searching I'd find the answer.  Unfortunately I've only got 2 mins before I have to head out, and then when I get back I'll only have 2 mins on the puter before i've got to head to the show i'm intending on taping tonight.

Finally...my Q is....where should I point my mics?

I'm seeing Dave Matthews Band. I'll be 2nd row, centre.

I'm using giant squid audio omnis with bass roll off.

Do I try to point at both speaker stacks, which will be almost immediately to my left and right, or do I point straight at the band?

I realise this is far less important for omnis than cardioids...but I just really don't want to get home to find I've screwed it up.

Also, does anyone have any tips for using an iRiver H140 in this situation...whether to use the line-in option, or the external mic setting (so that I can set a gain level)?  If you suggest ext mic, what gain level would you recommend? I taped two DMB shows earlier this week, but the answer was a no-brainer (line in) , as I was sitting only feet from a speaker stack.  The first night turned out far better than expected...but there was a fair bit of clipping from the 2nd night cos security made me move my stand so that the mics were literally 1 ft from the stack.

I would just trial on the opener, but it's a solo acoustic guitar player...so that doesn't help much.

Aaaanyways, thank you in advance for any help you can offer (and for your patience!).  Gotta go.  Will be back in 2 hours for 30 secs, then I'm off to the gig.  yeeha!
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: newbie question: where do i point my mics?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:09:56 AM »
with the omni's you are always going to be pretty much straight forward(there are others, healy or jecklin but probably not time to experiment w/ them).  Dave does not run a stereo mix AFAIK hence most dave tapers are stack tapers.

for dave go high to get out of the chatter and watch the levels.  if you are that close you mave need some attenuators but i'd just experiment since it sounds like you are hitting a few shows and learn from the experiences
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 01:52:40 AM »
Thanks mate. much appreciated.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:49:49 PM »
with the omni's you are always going to be pretty much straight forward(there are others, healy or jecklin but probably not time to experiment w/ them).  Dave does not run a stereo mix AFAIK hence most dave tapers are stack tapers.

for dave go high to get out of the chatter and watch the levels.  if you are that close you mave need some attenuators but i'd just experiment since it sounds like you are hitting a few shows and learn from the experiences

Actually DMB does run in stereo, has since last year I believe. 

However, you're going to have a very tough time taping DMB from the second row.  First, you wont be able to run a stand since it'll be in the way of the video equipment.  So if you want to run a stand you'll have to do what the rest of us DMB tapers do - give up your primo tickets for a pair on the side, usually around 7-10 rows back for the best sound.  ;)  Second, the sound probably wont be too great from the second row to begin with.  You're going to be getting sound from the stage monitors, not from the side stacks.

I would say either trade over and tape, or enjoy your view from the second row and just skip taping. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 10:20:28 AM »
Didn't know about the stereo, thats cool.  so are tapers now going for prime locations or are there still a lot of stack tapers?

+t
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:22:41 AM »
Didn't know about the stereo, thats cool.  so are tapers now going for prime locations or are there still a lot of stack tapers?

+t

Still going for the stack.  In order to run from the center you have to be behind the board, which usually means the back of the shed in an amphitheater.  Stack tapes come out much nicer (and really, it's still *mostly* mono, there's only a little bit of a difference between the left and right stacks).

+ backatcha ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com