Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New audio card recomendations?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline peterbilt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
New audio card recomendations?
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:33:13 AM »
well, after several months of fighting with the Audiophile 2496, I have come to the decision that it just ISN'T going to work anymore. I must say that when I used windows ME, it worked like a champ, but not so with 2000 pro.
So, can anyone recommend other cards of similair quality, as far as bit perfect transfers and reliability?

stoopid I-pod >:(

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New audio card recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »
A good friend runs Both the internal audiophile 24/96 and the external firewire 24/96 with Windows 2000 Pro.
Is it a driver problem your having or something else ?. He might be able to compare settings with ya..

Both were a breeze to set up with 2000 pro ,we just set the External up over the last weeekend .
  Im suprised you were able to get anything to work with ME without crashing. I ran it for about 2 days when I reformatted to 2000 Pro , and I will use it till they Stop supporting it.

He uses the Internal for DAT>PC and uses the External with another machine to Playback 24 bit (which sounds Nice for monitoring) And again I say if ya dont have the new Clapton DVD (sessions for Robert J ) Check it OUT   :o ,,, 

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 10:42:33 AM »
I'm prety sure it's a driver issue, but I am not fully convinced that my computer is not just dying of old age! ;D
I emailed the support at M Audio, and while the driver update they said to try did finally get it to pass a signal, it now pushes a signal that is blatantly different from the actual source (be it on my drive or from a DAT). It sounds as if some gremlin in my box ( :o) has turned the bass up to 12, and it also writes twice as many samples when I transfer a DAT. A 45 minute set ended up being an hour and a half on my drive.  ???

I haven't fully abandonded all hope and am still going to try and get it up and runing again, because it IS a great card, I am simply facing the possibility that I may be SOL with this setup.

I may just have to bite the bullet and build a new box for transfers/editing or maybe even score a laptop for audio requierments only.

For the time being I am in the process of dumping EVERYTHING off of my PC, deleting and uninstalling ANYTHING I don't use anymore, cleaning up the disc (again) and defragging (agian) in the hopes that it is mainly a RAM issue and that by running a smaller system it will run smoothly.

All really quite sad for the time being as I pulled some great tape this weekend that I would love to get out to a few friends!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:14:37 PM »
I'm prety sure it's a driver issue, but I am not fully convinced that my computer is not just dying of old age! ;D
I emailed the support at M Audio, and while the driver update they said to try did finally get it to pass a signal, it now pushes a signal that is blatantly different from the actual source (be it on my drive or from a DAT). It sounds as if some gremlin in my box ( :o) has turned the bass up to 12, and it also writes twice as many samples when I transfer a DAT. A 45 minute set ended up being an hour and a half on my drive.  ???

I haven't fully abandonded all hope and am still going to try and get it up and runing again, because it IS a great card, I am simply facing the possibility that I may be SOL with this setup.

I may just have to bite the bullet and build a new box for transfers/editing or maybe even score a laptop for audio requierments only.

For the time being I am in the process of dumping EVERYTHING off of my PC, deleting and uninstalling ANYTHING I don't use anymore, cleaning up the disc (again) and defragging (agian) in the hopes that it is mainly a RAM issue and that by running a smaller system it will run smoothly.

All really quite sad for the time being as I pulled some great tape this weekend that I would love to get out to a few friends!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.

I assume you know there is a control panel For the M-Audio  , Are you sure your not trying to transfer a 48khz DAT at 44.1 or vise vera.

My buddy Is running his VIA a AMD 600MHz for his dat transfer with 512 ram and (4) 200 Gb WD' HD's. and as I said he's Not real computer friendly to begin with and he had it set up and recording in less than a half hour Running the same OS .. what driver version are you using now , I can compare with his and maybe send ya the driver he is using as I know it works with 2000 Pro

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

BobW

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:28:49 AM »
A popular vendor from Colorado has ESI Juli@'s for silly cash.
24/192  balanced or unbalanced in/outs.
Very decent analog section ,  two channel

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 01:32:20 PM »
A popular vendor from Colorado has ESI Juli@'s for silly cash.
24/192  balanced or unbalanced in/outs.
Very decent analog section ,  two channel

THats the one I was reccomended as well.
Seems to be pretty popular amongst audiophile types.
Ray

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »
assuming you now have the win2k driver,you want to get into the cards control panel. A 96k sampling will yeild a file twice the size of a 48,and that may be the default,but you can change it. You also can check the EQ setup. Check also Windows vol control,and be sure the soundcard is calling the shots and not the Windows settings

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 11:31:27 PM »
Try moving the card to a different pci slot. If there is any cards in there that arent being used uninstall them. You might want to consider a reinstall of windows

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com