Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phantom power & preamp all in one box?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Phantom power & preamp all in one box?
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »
I just ran across this site from www.oade.com last night and ive read most of the AT853 posts on the first few pages and from what everyone has said phantom power seems to be the only way to go with those mics.  I have question or two about the power supply / preamp.

I was thinking about getting a Deneke PS-2 w/ miniplug out but Ive seen afew people mention a phantom box that is also a preamp.  Im currently im running CSBs >Sony HIMD (PCM) which I like but I think theres a short or something in my mics cause im getting all sorts of poping and crap in my recordings....but it seems to be completely random in each recording...more on that later.  If I go with a phantom power / preamp in one box will that do me any good since I still have to go analog in to the MD?  If I go digital into the HIMD I wont be able to upload the recordings to the PC.  Being able to upload the show straight to my laptop in the parkinglot of the venue was the main reason for getting the new minidisc. 

So what are my options for a phantom power supply that have or dont have preamps. 

My CSBs have a bass filter on them which I dont normally use unless I get right on top of the speakers or the bass is just insane...is there a low frequency filter/roll off for the AT853s...do I even need one?  I tape mostly rock shows in smaller (HOB size) venues. 

Ive uploaded a clip of a song that has all the poping / static could someone listen to it and perhaps tell me whats the deal?  I taped Razorlight (opener) sunday and there must be 50 clicks/pops in the recording but the Muse (headliner) recording doesnt have a single one.  The pops are always in both channels at the same time so I assume that theres a short in the wiring.  Its gotten progressivly worse in the last few months.  It started out as a pop only a few times a show and I wrote it off as just diginoise but the Razorlight recording has so many of them and now there are even gaps...sometimes several seconds worth...and its *REALLY* starting to irritate me. 

www.enemyzero.com/greg/tunes/ click on razorlight and then on the song title. 

Also the left channel is always much lower then the right channel but after about 15-20 min of recording they even out...are my mics totally f'ed up and not even worry about fixing them and get something else?

---------
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline hayduke

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Phantom power & preamp all in one box?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »
FWIW, i go optical into my HiMD and can transfer to my lappy via USB no problem...
Shameless Plug:  www.JovialFlow.com

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:35:41 AM »
No shit??  I never thought to try it...hrmm..Ill have to check that out.

-Greg

Alright, well I tested it and it uploads but you cant convert it to WAV which makes it pretty useless.  I know about that HIMDrender program but that seems a bit too buggy for me at this point.  However that is good to know just incase.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:54:25 AM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:39:15 AM »
I just ran across this site from www.oade.com last night and ive read most of the AT853 posts on the first few pages and from what everyone has said phantom power seems to be the only way to go with those mics.  I have question or two about the power supply / preamp.

I was thinking about getting a Deneke PS-2 w/ miniplug out but Ive seen afew people mention a phantom box that is also a preamp.  Im currently im running CSBs >Sony HIMD (PCM) which I like but I think theres a short or something in my mics cause im getting all sorts of poping and crap in my recordings....but it seems to be completely random in each recording...more on that later.  If I go with a phantom power / preamp in one box will that do me any good since I still have to go analog in to the MD?  If I go digital into the HIMD I wont be able to upload the recordings to the PC.  Being able to upload the show straight to my laptop in the parkinglot of the venue was the main reason for getting the new minidisc. 

So what are my options for a phantom power supply that have or dont have preamps. 

My CSBs have a bass filter on them which I dont normally use unless I get right on top of the speakers or the bass is just insane...is there a low frequency filter/roll off for the AT853s...do I even need one?  I tape mostly rock shows in smaller (HOB size) venues. 

Ive uploaded a clip of a song that has all the poping / static could someone listen to it and perhaps tell me whats the deal?  I taped Razorlight (opener) sunday and there must be 50 clicks/pops in the recording but the Muse (headliner) recording doesnt have a single one.  The pops are always in both channels at the same time so I assume that theres a short in the wiring.  Its gotten progressivly worse in the last few months.  It started out as a pop only a few times a show and I wrote it off as just diginoise but the Razorlight recording has so many of them and now there are even gaps...sometimes several seconds worth...and its *REALLY* starting to irritate me. 

www.enemyzero.com/greg/tunes/ click on razorlight and then on the song title. 

Also the left channel is always much lower then the right channel but after about 15-20 min of recording they even out...are my mics totally f'ed up and not even worry about fixing them and get something else?

---------
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Hi Greg.  I'm one of the few MD users on here.  I think most people are using the Creative Nomad Jukebox.

Anyway, I don't know what the clicks are.  How are you getting the file into your computer now?

The new version of Sonicstage allows conversion to WAV and works pretty good.  But beware, if you transfer files to your computer, and if the program/connection fails, you can lose all your files!  Sony only lets you transfer once.  The second time it deletes your file!

The safe way is to get a program called "TotalRecorder".  It is $12 for a registered version.  This program *digitally* records whatever is playing on your computer.  So, start TotalRecorder, then enter Sonicstage and hit play.  It is a slow realtime transfer, but it is bit accurate.  And you never risk your original discs.  You put write protect on your discs as soon as you finish recording them, right?

Anymore questions, fire away.  Also, visit minidisc.org.  The forums are excellent and there are lots of FAQs there.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
Based on the clip it's a bad analog connection, crackling and cutting out when wiggled.   There's even a trace of the signal in the cutout part, likely just crosstalk.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline hayduke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:40:21 PM »
i use the HiMD Renderer program and have had no problems yet.  my past two shows i've ran C4s>digimod UA-5>(optical)>HiMD, first show used PCM and second Hi-SP and through my stereo as well as some feedback from a few others we cannot tell the difference. i could when running mic or line in but with the optical input it's very hard for me to hear the diff....still may upgrade to a JB3 but not completely sold just yet....
Shameless Plug:  www.JovialFlow.com

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »
Ya right now I just hit upload in SS and let it run.  from MD to wav it transfers about 1.5x-1.7x which is good cuase im hoping to transfer, edit, burn copies of CDs for friends and bands right there in the parking lot while waiting for the band to come out after the show.

Ive looked at that Total recorder program and if SS is as stable as everyone says then im not too worried about it trashing my stuff.  It still blows my mind as to why a recording can only be uploaded once. 

I assumed it was a short or something in the mics...goddamn its annoying but i dont have enough cash right now to buy the AT853s I want so I guess Ill just deal with it for a little while longer.

-Greg
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com