Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New M-Audio Recorder  (Read 65780 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: New M-Audio Recorder
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2005, 09:41:13 PM »
Or people who are still trying to sell everything ...

;D

8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2005, 10:09:23 PM »
But outside of taping, where would a situation like this be acceptable? 

Happens every day in the telecom and computer industry.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »

Wayne

absolutely does....working my entire professional career at Nortel and Lucent I can guarantee you this happens every day in that industry...it is understood by the customers that they are getting in at the bleeding edge and as a result, there will be bugs...why do they do it?  Because they can get a say in the fixes...kind of like SD buiilding in the stop button lock early in the first revs of the SW upgrades.....everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just because you dont want to be at the bleeding edge because you aren't suited for dealing with this kind of dynamic change, doesnt mean that those that are willing to do so just have money to burn...

as for the argument of selling evreything to pay for it...no I really didnt need to do that for the $$$, I had to do it to stay married, once your married you will understand :P

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2005, 10:24:49 PM »

Wayne

as for the argument of selling evreything to pay for it...no I really didnt need to do that for the $$$, I had to do it to stay married, once your married you will understand :P

;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2005, 10:31:17 PM »

It happens in every industry that produces complex, high tech deliverables - and even some that don't.  The first gen of hybrid cars?  Problems.  First gen of the fuel-injected BMW F650 motorcycle?  Problems.  First gen of JB3s?  Problems.  First gen of just about any commercial or open source software ever produced?  Problems.  The list goes on...and on...and on...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »
<GRACE FLUFF ON>...maybe they should take a page from Grace....how many times you heard of a bad bug with their equipment, maybe short of a batter light blinking when it shouldn't, and that was purely a calibration problem...easily fixed.

I look at what is going on with the SD product, watched the mini-me have countless problems (bad power cables...or was it bad mini-me causing it to go up in smoke? noise introducing gain knobs... Stripped screws) and then look at Grace. Tight sound, well designed, pratically indestructable and always works....</GRACE FLUFF OFF> ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2005, 01:24:09 AM »
in talking to grace, it seems they just don't have the necessary technological resources, specifically regarding software, to drive that market.  that's why they never came out with a firewire mod for the v3 and why the m902 doesn't have better than usb1.1 which can only handle up to 16/48. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2005, 01:26:34 AM »
<GRACE FLUFF ON>... always works....</GRACE FLUFF OFF> ;D

From the 316 to the V2 to the V3, Mike Grace and his crew put us on the reliable bleeding edge.

It was always my understanding about the FireWire mod that it was more of a licencing issue than it was a technological resources problem? 

Back to the Maudio recorder, why couldn't we (ts.com) as a group try to put a compact list of features that we'd like at a realistic price point and see if one of these vendors (Maudio, SD, etc.) could produce it? 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2005, 06:09:03 AM »
Back to the Maudio recorder, why couldn't we (ts.com) as a group try to put a compact list of features that we'd like at a realistic price point and see if one of these vendors (Maudio, SD, etc.) could produce it?

because tapers are not a significant enough buying force for anyone to develop a product.  To recoup what they will spend in R&D there are much bigger customer segments they need to worry about....

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2005, 10:24:03 AM »
3 or more years ago on the old Oade board an engineer from Zaxcom did just that.  The discussion of desired features went on forever until it seemed that the only recorder that would even remotely meet our needs had unbelievable pie in the sky features and was probably completely unrealistic.  Oddly enough, Zaxcom never did come out with a low cost recorder.

I think with the 722/744 and FR2/PMD671/R4 we've already gotten the high end and medium end 24-bit recorder market taken care of.  Roughly equivalent to the HHB portadat and tascam DA-P1 markets covered.  What we need is the new D8 -- a cheap, reliable way of writing 1's and 0's at 24 bit.  Good meters, good battery life, and perhaps the ability to act as standalone mic pre and A/D, but nothing that anyone expecting high quality sound would expect to use as a standalone.  I'm really hoping the Flash Tracker will meet this need, since as far as I can tell, the 24-bit world doesn't really have the equivalent of the D8 yet.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2005, 11:39:46 AM »
What about an IPAQ + Compact Flash + PDAudio-CF? For the analog in, you'd need an Echo or VX.

One advantage of this approach is that you can run Linux and aren't tied to a proprietary system. Want to change the meters? Want to automatically lower levels? Hack the code.

[1]  I've seen mixed results here among people who have tried this approach - but maybe there are boatloads of people successfully running this setup and I just don't know about it since they're not here on TS.

[2]  Not always easy to find someone to hack the code.

[3]  It's Core-Sound.  (And no, I won't get into why that's a problem for me and am not encouraging others to do so, either.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Todd R

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2005, 11:53:50 AM »
Yep, what Brian said.  The D8 was actually a pretty darn reliable way of writing 1's and 0's.  From all the reports about the PDAudio I've heard, my impression is that it just doesn't stack up.  Plus it's Core-Sound.  Plus, to me the PDAudio is more like lap-top recording.  I curse Bill Gates' name enough trying to deal with the pc I'm sitting in front of.  I want a recorder that I just insert a digi-cable and press record.  Months of configuring and testing to see if I can get a reliable recording is not my idea of fun.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2005, 12:01:33 PM »
What we need is the new D8 -- a cheap, reliable way of writing 1's and 0's at 24 bit.  Good meters, good battery life, and perhaps the ability to act as standalone mic pre and A/D, but nothing that anyone expecting high quality sound would expect to use as a standalone.

What about an IPAQ + Compact Flash + PDAudio-CF?  For the analog in, you'd need an Echo or VX.

One advantage of this approach is that you can run Linux and aren't tied to a proprietary system. Want to change the meters?  Want to automatically lower levels? Hack the code.

Craig T runs this with an external hard drive at 24 bit and has no problems as far as I know ...

As for me if I wanted to record to a HD I would just get a lappy setup, but I don't as I am all about CF media right now, drooling over this flash recorder, heh, but something will come out in a month or two that will change my drool factor ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2005, 12:13:15 PM »
<GRACE FLUFF ON>...maybe they should take a page from Grace....how many times you heard of a bad bug with their equipment, maybe short of a batter light blinking when it shouldn't, and that was purely a calibration problem...easily fixed.

The first 35 were shipped out with a DC offset problem...

Offline Todd R

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2005, 12:17:08 PM »
Craig T runs this with an external hard drive at 24 bit and has no problems as far as I know ...

Maybe Craig will chime in with his experiences.  But from what I remember, he is now able to run 24/48 reliably, but can't do 24/96 reliably.  And from what he said, this took a lot of testing and configuring and time and new recording s/w, etc, etc, to get to work.  Maybe the deal is that now the PDAudio works like a charm right out of the box and it was only the initial releases and initial recording s/w that had problems.  But whatever, I've long ago soured on the PDAudio and to me it just is not a D8 replacement, it's laptop recording on a smaller scale.  I'm still hoping the flash tracker or some similar product will be out soon that will be much more like a D8 for 24 bits, at least as far as my needs go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com