Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: info on starting computer recording/ what setup?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline rvpigeon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
info on starting computer recording/ what setup?
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:26:48 AM »
I really want to get into recording (both music and ambience), and i'm going to be getting myself an apple (no question about this) powerbook this summer. Right now the audio equipment i have is a Shure beta 58a mic, sony mdr-7506 headphones, and logic express. I am wondering what I will need to get (as far as sound cards, cables, programs or other equipment goes) in order to set up a decent and versatile portable recording studio, and especially how I can make the best use of what I have, since I have very little experience with recording. i had looked into buying a portable recorder of some kind, but since i'm getting a laptop anyway this seems like the way to go.

budget-wise, i'm 17, so obviously not huge. i have $2000 as a graduation present, which i'm going to put towards the laptop (i might add more as well).

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!  :)

(i searched around in the forums but didn't find anything helpful. if i missed something, just show me the link)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 04:28:36 AM by rvpigeon »

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: info on starting computer recording/ what setup?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:54:37 PM »
Here's a good place to start digging for some info, hope it helps

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laptop-tapers/

Offline rvpigeon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 02:11:30 AM »
i looked at that a bit, but i was hoping someone could give me some advice specific to my situation, because i really don't know where to start. theres so much equipment out there that i'm a bit overwhelmed by reading all of those posts. thanks anyway though, ill keep looking there

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 03:41:33 AM »
Well the question really is, are you talking about multitrack taping or what?  If you just want to run a basic stereo recording setup you don't need much more.  What you will definately need is a different microphone setup though.  That is a stage vocal mic so it is definately not ideal for recording anything but vocals.  For ambient nature recordings you're going to want something with extremely transparent sound and high sensitivity, prefferable a single point stereo mic also.  Nature tapers tend to use a vertical mount position and some massive windscreens to pickup a 360 degree sound image.  For recording music though, you'll need more than just 1 mic and a laptop.  You'll need at least a pair of small mics and a powering unit for them.  As far as software goes....no idea about mac compatable stuff....no clue about sound cards that will work in a mac either.  What I can tell you is Wavelab or Soundforge are excellent for recording via a pc and fantastic editing tools also.

So specifically what are you planning on taping?
If music, what kind?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline rvpigeon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »
i dont know what multitrack taping is.. ???  music wise, i'm not that interested in taping live shows. i want to record myself (piano primarily, and some other instruments) and maybe i'll get a band (rock or jazz or something else...) together eventually. i want to start making sort of sound collages, so i want to be able to record some good sounding samples. i go on lots of outdoor/hiking/camping trips, so i want to bring my stuff with me and record what i hear.

i guess theres nothing that i really want to record in particular, i just keep finding myself wishing i could record the things i'm playing around with, and actually make something out of them. does this help at all?

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 01:19:52 AM »
well, i guess you just need a decent microphone then and possibly a way to power it.
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com