Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Total newb needs help with setup  (Read 2629 times)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Total newb needs help with setup
« on: May 05, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
hey kids....went to wanee a few weeks ago and caught the taping fever.....I have the following equipment already... Mics are MXL990/991....can I get away with these?  I have a hp 4325 laptop and a tascam pocketstudio 5 digi 4 track with flash card storage......both run on batteries.....which of these should I go with for the recorder?  Also, if I go with the lappy, what interface do you guys reccomend?

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 08:08:48 PM by T-90 »
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Total newb needs help with setup
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 11:44:30 PM »
Mics are MXL990/991....can I get away with these?

If you like 'em, then sure, you can get away with 'em.  I'd say try those mics first since you own already, and if you don't like the results then consider trading for or buying new mics.

I have a hp 4325 laptop and a tascam pocketstudio 5 digi 4 track with flash card storage......both run on batteries.....which of these should I go with for the recorder?  Also, if I go with the lappy, what interface do you guys reccomend?

Sorry, I'm no help on the rest - never stayed on top of laptop recording interfaces and such.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:08:19 AM »
laptop issues to consider

Good things
1. Space- you prob have 40 gigs to work with
2. You can master right away
3. 24 bit

Cons
1. I've never been happy with a battery sollution
2. Protecting your gear...I get terrified each time I take my laptop
3. Size. Can you say Sony U-3

I really love the Digimarc Vx pocket 2.  I got mine on ebay.  Takes digi in, also has two xlr ins, easy to use, but you need a pcmia slot

I don't know about the gear you currently have, but let your ears guide you.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 01:11:00 AM by bagtagsell »
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:11:48 AM »
oh yeah +t, for a fever that the only cure for is more gear
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:05:37 AM »
hey kids....went to wanee a few weeks ago and caught the taping fever

;D  ;D  you north or south?

also, i ain't that old, but i take exeption to the "kids" remark  :P
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline T-90

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »
ok....first off thanks to all for the replies.....and to bagtagsell for my very first +t!!!

admkrk.....im in FL, the deep south :)  i call everyone kids....the old ppl love it when a younger person calls them a kid

bagtagsell.... :) here we go!! the lappy does have 40gig, an open pci slot, and a burner......am i to assume that the tascam dig 4 track is not good for this type of recording?  www.tascam.com/Products/PocketStudio5.html    ive got this too, runs on AAbatts and flash cards...thought i could run 2 mics, 1 mic in stereo on tracks 1 & 2 and 1 mic stereo on tracks 3 & 4 and then mix down from there?  i agree about protecting the lappy and i dont have an interface.....so no matter which i use i will have to buy additional gear..."oh yeah +t, for a fever that the only cure for is more gear".... so very true bagtagsell :)  other than the lappy and the 4 track, ive got the mics and that is all i have right now my friends.....so i really need some direction on what to do because i am not sure.....i dont even have a mic stand right now, so this is really from the ground up....ive done home studio recordings with 4 tracks, but never tried to go out into the field and grab shows....but all thats about to change!!!!

"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »
Power consumpution is huge in the field.  So I would take some tests on your tascam to make sure it can handle it.  But another thing to consider is, will it brick wall with spls at a live concert.  I don't know, but its worth a shot.  Some general advice would be this

1. Your mics have the greatest impact on your sound.  Spend money on mics first and foremost.  However if you can get by with your mics try taping for a while and see if its your cup of tea.  If it is then think about upgrading
2. Nomad Jukebox 3 is your friend.  $150-200 portable recorder.  Don't have to worry about laptop in field.
3. UA-5.  I guess these are discountinued, but find one on ebay and it can be modified to be an awesome preamp/analog digital converter.  $200-300
4. If you go to concerts where there are other tapers, get a clamp
5. If not, buy a stand from amvona on ebay less than $20
6. Don't forget about the little things, t-bar, windscreens, cables, extra batteries, gear bag.  it all adds up.
7. enjoy it.  pm me if you need more help
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 03:56:58 PM »
you may be able to use the tascam in USB MODE to pipe directly to your lappy. if you do it this way can you record in wav?

i would not use the tascam as your recorder because it records to compact flash, and it mixed down to mp3...unless you are cool with that. also most concert are at least an hour and you will use up that 32mb stock cf card quickly.  check the specs though on the tascam, i am not very familiar it.

good luck
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline T-90

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 10:18:38 PM »
yup...i have several larger flash cards for the tascam....no worries there.....but ive been looking at the JB3......might go that way, seems much simpler than getting the laptop up to speed or using the 4 track but no more new ones eh?......oh well, i will keep going through the forums and playing around with different ideas until one sticks.......still not sure about these mics, anyone have them? MXL 990 / 991.....I got them 1/2 off from a guitar center opening......and other tapers will let me clamp on to there stands if i dont have one of my own?  the tapers section at wanee looked very cool and i know i am hooked on this already :) 

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 11:49:59 PM »
T-90, by deep south i take it you mean miami or so?  i'm just south of gainsville.

shouldn't have a problem clamping as long as you're there early. i plan on making a few trips to tampa/orlando in the next mo. or so(if i can get my stinkin' truck to run that is) and could hook ya up w/ a stand, t-bar or maybe a couple other things if i knew to bring them along. not likely to get much farther south for a while though.

Offline T-90

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
admkrk.....im in jax....not far from you at all :)  would love to hook up for a show or two sometime and get some hands on instruction :)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »
i'm thinkin' there's something coming up in g'ville soon? once i get caught up on a few things i'll be able to work out a schedule of sorts. there was a couple up in jax i wanted to hit too, but had to skip because of transportation problems. fixin' to get back to work on that now.

wannee was my first shot at "real" bands, but be glad to add what i can. if you notice anything in the middle lmk and we'll se if we can't hook up. i'll try to do the same.

Offline T-90

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 10:08:03 PM »
admkrk....that sounds great....would love to hook up and grab a quick lesson.....

one more idea i just had, i also have a dell axium 3 pocket pc with cf and sd slots....what about using that with somthing like the pdaudio-cf to interface along with 1 gig sd card?  looks like a decent solution for my recorder?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com