Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: C4's vs. CEMC6 vs. M1290 vs. AKG 39x's vs. CMH8K  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
C4's vs. CEMC6 vs. M1290 vs. AKG 39x's vs. CMH8K
« on: May 25, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »
Ok, I'm just buying a set of mics, and would like to decide on something rather soon. What I'm looking for is something that has interchangeable capsules so I can run omni, cardiod, or hypercardiod, with just the switch of a capsule. I'm looking for opinions on what to get. I can't afford the 480's or I'd buy them...duh. The C4 complete kit is looking real nice, and everyone seems to like them. The Peluso mics got a great review by Nick's Picks...seem like good mics. And everyone also loves the m1290...but do they really have interchangeable capsules? Everything I found pointed to no. Sonic Sense has a used pair listed on their site that I might pick up. If I could find some AKG 39x's I'd buy them, for sure. Also, what about the Superlux's? Are they sheeit or what? I saw a pair for sale in the yard sale section for $100....what?

Right now I'm thinkin the C4's or the M1290's depending on the capsule availability for the 1290s. Does anyone have a site listing just the capsules? I'd like some of the AKG's, but there aren't any for sale in the yard sale section, and I can't afford new ones.

Let me know what you think. If it helps at all I'm running this into a brand spankin new V3(optical)>Jb3. Peace, Thanks, -Ian
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: C4's vs. CEMC6 vs. M1290 vs. AKG 39x's vs. CMH8K
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »
the 1290's dont stack up to the Pelusos, IMO.  i've used both.
Can't comment on the C4s.  Rumor has it they sound way better than they should.

fwiw...
sell the V3 and buy 480s. 
;-)

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 02:34:16 PM »
I have the C4's and I think they sound really terrific.  However, there is no hyper cap, if that is a necessity of yours, just omnis and cards.  Definitely, absolutely worth every penny of the $325 I spent, IMO.

Can't comment on the others, although I will say that, as a low end mic, there have been people who say Superlux is a good value, so don't completely write them off.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 02:53:04 PM »
And everyone also loves the m1290...but do they really have interchangeable capsules? Everything I found pointed to no. Sonic Sense has a used pair listed on their site that I might pick up.

Right now I'm thinkin the C4's or the M1290's depending on the capsule availability for the 1290s. Does anyone have a site listing just the capsules?

not too long ago, I picked up a pair of m1290's used, with only the hyper caps.  I then immediately bought card caps from Frank at Cascade Media.  So, the answer is yes, they definitely have interchangable caps, and Frank was very helpful with getting me just the cards.

I thought the Audix mics were comparable to the akg 390 series, with maybe a slight edge going to the audix.  I haven't used (or heard) the Pelusos or the c4's, so I won't comment on those mics.

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
ive only taped w/ my 391s once, but it was at a gig that i do weekly so i know what the c4s sound like there, and the 391s sounded better...

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on some CEMC6's recently myself. Basically an american made mic, except for the metal work, and the price is right. I used to run cmc6+mk4s and some MBHO603s, I would love to think these peluso mics would fall somewhere in between, but that is just my hope, I have not used them yet. The price is right no doubt.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 07:18:56 AM »
best $500 stereo pair you can buy, imo.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 12:38:16 PM »
best $500 stereo pair you can buy, imo.

so i take it you've been liking them? 
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 02:04:18 PM »
I had a long conversation with Dan from Soundpure yesterday, he's the guy who has written a lot of the reviews you see on the net about the cemc6's. He is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy to talk to about mics in general. I found him to be honest and straightforward and he wasn't trying to "sell" me anything. We talked about taping and I told him about various mics that tapers like to use. I told him that I was looking for a mic that would perform somewhere between a cmc6 and the mbho603 series. He basically told me hands down that the cemc6s would outperform the MBHO's on every level but are not what the Shoeps mics are. He said they have some very Schoeps like qualities but when compared A/B you can obviously tell the difference between a $3000 pr of mics and a $600 pr of mics. All that being said I feel confident in giving these a try now and am going to pull the trigger on a pair soon. Dan said these perform like a pr of mics in the $1000 range and after talking to him I have no reason to feel that he wasn't being completely honest with me.

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/gear.htm
http://www.soundpure.com/showProduct.do?id=683

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 02:23:45 PM »
Ehren -- does this mean you're already replacing the lsd2?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »
i've ran the superluxes before into a ua-5 and they sounded great.  into a v3, i dunno tho.  they're definitely a great starter mic tho.

I've ran the audix hyper cards (the ones that jason bought) and they do infact have interchangable caps.  The mic size is great, those things are so tiny.  however, my biggest complaint running them into a v3 was the lack of lowend.  i had to repeatedly bump up the low end in post when i used them.  that was my only complaint.  i used them once in an acoustic setting and they really shined tho.

i have no experience with the 39x's, the c4's or the cemc6's, however, i think if i were in your shoes, i'd go with the cemc6's.  i like the schoeps sound, and if they have schoeps qualities they should sound great going into the v3.  plus, i want to hear what that setup sounds like, especially if peluso is going to be releasing actives in the future...that in itself might be another selling point for them if you ever want to run actives in the future.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 10:34:50 PM »
I ran Peluso's this weekend w/ an mp-2>ua5p in front of them and I really like the results.  Not harsh and bright like most of my previous attempts w/ just the ua5p.  Nershi's acoustic guitar sounds like buttah.  I could tell the mics had some nice qualities but w/ the pmod ua5 it was just way too bright.  I was going to bit torrent the show (drew emmitt band) but since Wayne, Fozzy, and Lee have already posted their show I decided against it, but will do it if someone wants to hear it for comparisons w/ the other sources.   -Drew

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 01:45:59 AM »
I'd love it if you would torrent the show.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 02:17:04 AM »
alrighty then, I'll post the torrent when I get home from work.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
Thanks man.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com