Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tape bias question!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline ivanbambam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
tape bias question!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!
« on: May 26, 2005, 09:15:38 PM »
i work primarily with a 1/2 inch 8track....otari mx 5050......and it's biased to use basf/emtec 911 tape.  i cant find this specific tape, it's no longer manufactured.  i have found some quantegy/gp 456.  i know (based from readings) that 911 and 456 are pretty similar although i've never used 456. 
the machine is due for a tune up with jrfmagnetics.  my question is.......should i get the machine biased to 456?  is it that much different?  i guess i should ask JRF.........but what do you guys think?  stock up on new fresh 456 tape?  or just get as much fresh/used 911 tape? 
i dont like getting used tape because i dont know if it will contaminate my freshly cleaned and tuned up machine. 
any info would be greatly appreciated.
Ivan.

:) ;) :) ;) :) ;D :)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: tape bias question!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 12:11:31 PM »
ivan-

Try posting your question on the electricalaudio.com web board. Electrical is Steve Albini's studio board which has a lot of analog multi-track users who may have some insight into you "biasing" concern. It's not that ts.com isn't any good for this question, but you may find contact with more analog multi-track users via Steve's board.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
i work primarily with a 1/2 inch 8track....otari mx 5050......and it's biased to use basf/emtec 911 tape.  i cant find this specific tape, it's no longer manufactured.  i have found some quantegy/gp 456.  i know (based from readings) that 911 and 456 are pretty similar although i've never used 456. 
the machine is due for a tune up with jrfmagnetics.  my question is.......should i get the machine biased to 456?  is it that much different?  i guess i should ask JRF.........but what do you guys think?  stock up on new fresh 456 tape?  or just get as much fresh/used 911 tape? 
i dont like getting used tape because i dont know if it will contaminate my freshly cleaned and tuned up machine. 
Ivan.

my initial instinct is to tell you that you will be fine with your current biasing since the difference is not going to be that great, but I see no reason why you can't adjust your bias yourself for the 456.  I set bias about 3 times a week (i recalibrate my machines about 6 times a day).  Bias is really easy to set on most machines, although I can't say for sure on a MX5050 since I don't use one.  I hope this is somewhat useful to you.  Any other questions, feel free to bounce em off me/us.    8)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:22:21 PM »
one question...have you been happy with the service and prices over at JRF?  I use someone else, and I find them to be superior.  Not going to start naming names, etc, but I have talked about this in the past, so some of you probably know who I recommend...

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »
Ivan.

my initial instinct is to tell you that you will be fine with your current biasing since the difference is not going to be that great, but I see no reason why you can't adjust your bias yourself for the 456.  I set bias about 3 times a week (i recalibrate my machines about 6 times a day).  Bias is really easy to set on most machines, although I can't say for sure on a MX5050 since I don't use one.  I hope this is somewhat useful to you.  Any other questions, feel free to bounce em off me/us.    8)

I agree, biasing is quite easy.  If you are handy, just do it yourself.  I run 1/4 track 5050, and it aint no big deal to adjust the bias...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com