Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Channel Noise/Transfer Help!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Channel Noise/Transfer Help!
« on: June 17, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »
Long Sotry short:

My cables were messing up at bonnaroo.  I had one bad cable and it put alot of noise on my recording in just one channel.

I would like to salvage these recordings, and I have made signifigant improvments by cutting/pasting the good channel and putting it into the other "bad" channel.

But I remember reading somewhere on this site about reversing the other channel out of phase or something to make the stereo image a little better than it is.

I am using Soundforge 6.0, fwiw.

Can anyone help?

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Channel Noise/Transfer Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 03:40:31 PM »
You don't want it out of phase - that'll do some weird things to your head.  If you do a straight paste you get a mono signal, which isn't a disaster.  Then you can try some 'simulated stereo' plugins to see if you like the effect.  They'll take the 2 channels and do slightly different things to them with delay/eq/reverb to create more 'space'.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 05:12:46 PM »
You don't want it out of phase - that'll do some weird things to your head.  If you do a straight paste you get a mono signal, which isn't a disaster.  Then you can try some 'simulated stereo' plugins to see if you like the effect.  They'll take the 2 channels and do slightly different things to them with delay/eq/reverb to create more 'space'.

That is one of my pet peeves, out of phase recordings, you mainly hear it with stealth...

But where is the "simulated Stereo" plugins for Soundforge 6.0?  do they exist?

THanks for the help!  +t
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 08:17:11 PM »
There's a waves plugin called PS22.  Here's the propaganda:

PS22 StereoMaker is a set of tools for creating convincing stereo results from mono source material as well as a set
of true stereo-in/stereo-out processing tools for synthesizing a richer stereo effect from existing stereo material.
It is far more than merely another “pseudostereo” effect. It is a mixdown and remastering tool capable of producing
subtle or dramatic stereo effects of a kind and quality previously impossible - something that will become an
essential tool in everyday stereo production of all kinds.
The idea of synthesizing a fake stereo effect from mono sources is a very old one, but the results have usually been
disappointing and very often virtually unlistenable, giving unpleasant and unconvincing results. StereoMaker’s
tools are unique, and have been designed after decades of research to avoid the problems of previous processes.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 02:15:56 AM »

PS22 StereoMaker is a set of tools for creating convincing stereo results from mono source material as well as a set
of true stereo-in/stereo-out processing tools for synthesizing a richer stereo effect from existing stereo material.
It is far more than merely another “pseudostereo” effect. It is a mixdown and remastering tool capable of producing
subtle or dramatic stereo effects of a kind and quality previously impossible - something that will become an
The idea of synthesizing a fake stereo effect from mono sources is a very old one, but the results have usually been
disappointing and very often virtually unlistenable, giving unpleasant and unconvincing results. StereoMaker’s
tools are unique, and have been designed after decades of research to avoid the problems of previous processes.

I will look into that.  +t for the tip.

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 01:56:17 PM »

david you got a pm from me!+T

Ray

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:07:22 PM »
Just remembered this one - haven't tried it but the price is right
http://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com