Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first recording and my mics don't work. Need placement help with whats left.  (Read 2252 times)

Offline kingnerd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Keep on truckin' in the free world.
Recently I got some ADK TL-MPs and Studio Projects C4s.  Amazingly enough one of each was DOA. 

I have one working ADK TL and one SP C4 Card cap and two SP C4 omni caps.  My question for you is, what is the best configuration with the mics that I have left. 

Tomorrow I am going to be recording the New York University Jazz Trio down here in CR.  Would a MS config work well with the C4 Card as the M and the ADK TL in figure 8 as the side?  What kind of config could I use the two working C4 Omnis in?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
have you checked to make sure your cables were good, sounds like one of your xlr's could be bad. 

btw they are both reputable companies and they should help you in getting them fixed quickly

I would suggest making a j-disc and running the omni's of the c4's

mics & cameras

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
I have two Zoalla XLR cables and both of them show the same problem with the same mics.  I spent many hours making sure that I wasn't crazy.

What would be the best configuration aside from using the Omnis with a JDisk.  I probably won't have time in the next day to get that together.

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Omni's with j-disc is great and well worth exploring, but don't be afraid to try the m/s setup you mentioned. Since the signal from both mics contributes to both the left and right channels, you don't need to worry about the different sound each mic has.  I don't know if you will be taping that jazz trio on stage or close up, but I've had great success with m/s onstage. Good luck!
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
What about just using a single ADK TL in Cardiod to record the show?  It won't be stereo but will it be that big of a deal?  Or maybe run both the ADK and the C4 pointing straight ahead and pick whichever one sounds the best.

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
I don't know how far I will be away from the stage.  Does MS work better up close, or far away?  It will be indoors but that is all I know at this point.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
THe M/S recording you will make will need to be tweaked in post production...to fish out the signals from the R and L channel, I do not know if Wavelab can do that.  I would run spaced omnis if you can swing it.  At least 1-2 feet of seperation and mics pointed straight forward, if you can swing it.

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
Is this what M/S config should look like?  The SP C4 is a cardiod and the ADK TL is in figure 8.  Then the C4 would point at the stage.

I only have one mic stand at this point so Spaced Omni would require more gear.  I don't know the sound guy at the place that I am going so bumming gear is kinda out of the question.

Thanks for the help.

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
Moke is right on with the m/s setup comments. I'm not sure if your rig would be sturdy enough to handle it, but if you take what you show in that pic and make your bar vertical and then re-aim the C-4 straight ahead, you would be pretty darn close to the "ideal" m/s arrangement.  Also, you can matrix the raw m/s channels to l/r pretty easily without any fancy audio plugins and such. The plug ins just make it a bit easier. J-discs and m/s are something everyone should try at least once!!

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
If you are still keen to run the M/S set up, then drop the ADK upside down....if you can with the sabrasom mount....I'll bet you could get the two mics nearly on-top of each other.

Offline kingnerd

• Taperssection Newbie
Kinda like this?

That Sabra Som Mount seems really cheaply made.  I have liked the flexibility of it but the main pivot never seems to stay put, especially when I get both of the ADK TLs on it.

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
Bingo!!!   :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com