Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Optical connection on jb3--problems  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Optical connection on jb3--problems
« on: July 20, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »
I've been having some less-than-stellar recordings going UA-5 to JB3.  Looks like it's the connection of the optical cable to the JB3.

First off, it's not the cable.  I have two cables both of which I've tested, similar results.

Also, it's not that the cable isn't seating properly in the jb3.  I removed the offending plastic on the jb3 that causes the bad connection long ago.

Here's what I'm noticing--when recording, if I put any pressure on the cable (where it goes into the jb3), in an upwards motion, the signal gets dropped.  And quite easily.

I've taken the jb3 apart, it doesn't look like any loose connections.

I would appreciate if anyone else could see what happens if you put pressure on the jack when recording, and tell me if you're getting ANY problem at all.

Other than that, does anybody have any suggestions on what my issue might be?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
Re: Optical connection on jb3--problems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 02:08:27 PM »
Anybody?  thx
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »
No, I've kept a really close eye on all threads pertaining to this.  This morning, I even searched the terms "loose optical", "optical jack", and "loose jack" and read all threads with pertinent info.  Nothing that helps, unfortunately.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »
karl, there is a thread in here somewhere regarding loose optical jacks, (and maybe fixes?). I don't run that piece of gear, so I don't follow the threads. search this forum (recording gear), ask the tapers, and the archive.
good luck
If the jack is loose from the PCB you need to resolder...

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 03:24:56 PM »
Sorry about the confusion--the jack is not loose at all.  I've already looked on the inside to look for unsoldered connections--nothing of the sort.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
I just cleaned with alcohol.  I cleaned the ends of the optical cable.  And I took apart the jb3, filled a shot glass with rubbing alcohol, and dipped the optical jack in the alcohol.  No luck, I'm still having problems.

Now I'm really stuck.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 02:47:08 AM »
Can anybody help out?  If a couple people could set the jb3 up to monitor mode, and then put some pressure on the cable right where it goes into the jb3, I would really appreciate it.  And then let me know what happens.

This is really frustrating.

thx
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:22:45 AM »
You're asking someone to potentially damage their JB3 to help you troubleshoot your unit? IMO that is an unacceptable risk.

"Here's what I'm noticing--when recording, if I put any pressure on the cable (where it goes into the jb3), in an upwards motion, the signal gets dropped.  And quite easily"

Sounds like an alignment problem between the cable and the jack. Since it only happens when you apply pressure in an upwards motion, is there any way you can apply pressure in a downwards motion?

You also mentioned checking with two cables. If you got both of them at the same time from the same place, it's possible there was a manufacturing defect in that batch. Try a different cable from another supplier.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 09:30:17 AM »
karl, i know you don't think that it's a connection issue between the optical jack and board, but that's exactly what happened when my jack disconnected.  It got to the point where I had to hold the plug with a downward pressure while taping because even the slightest upward pressure caused the signal to drop out.  Did you check for a cold solder joint? Maybe the solder is cosmetically ok, but not passing signal?
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
Did you check for a cold solder joint? Maybe the solder is cosmetically ok, but not passing signal?

This would be my bet too.  Best to open it up and heat up all the solder connections -- ie, reflow the solder.  I had a bad headphone connection on a Zen Micro and swore visually that all the solder connections were good when I inspected it.  Put everything back together and it still didn't work.  Tore it apart again, re-flowed all the solder joints on the headphone jack and now it works like a charm.  Don't trust your visual inspection, just try re-flowing the solder.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 12:03:02 PM »
Thanks, I will go in and reflow some solder joints.  The fact that unitmonster experienced the same problem gives me hope--I thought I was alone in this.

flipp, I was certainly NOT asking anyone to partially damage their jb3.  The amount of pressure put on it is minimal, the type of pressure that it would probably experience under fairly normal use.  And the cables are already two completely different cables.  But I still appreciate the responses  8)

unitmonster, were you able to resolve your issue?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »
yep. mine eventally lifted right off the board, and I had it professionally re-soldered. Solid as a rock now.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 12:09:19 AM »
I resoldered all solder joints in the area--aagh!  Still having the problem.

What I'm thinking it must be now is that the lead attaching the optical connector housing to the circuit board is broken--inside the optical connector housing.

It looks like I might be buying another jb3.  This sucks.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 12:11:15 AM »
Crappy!  I was hoping re-doing the solder would solve the problem.  +t for your troubles.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com