Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac Mastering Software?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline mfisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mac Mastering Software?
« on: August 20, 2005, 03:01:27 AM »
I'm using xACT for encoding to flac, and Cubase SE for multitrack recording (and I love it) .... but cubase doesnt have great wave editing abilities (this is where wavelab fits).

Whats reasonably priced on the mac platform? I'd specifically like to be able to run compression against board mixes and ambient recordings for use on CD.

.... or do I just not know how to use Cubase? I admit most of it is over my head -- just didnt see compression in the filters or gain screens.
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: Mac Mastering Software?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 08:23:44 AM »
Most of what you want is probably in Cubase. I use Digital Performer (and also have Logic, but I need to sell it because I hate what Apple did to the product and won't ever use it again), so I can't tell you exactly what to do in Cubase, but most of the applications have their own suite of tools for this type of stuff.

I will say that if you want a good set of plug-ins for mastering, you can't beat Waves. However, they aren't cheap. I've been using Waves stuff for close to 7 years now and can't see not using them. In fact, regardless of how good Emagic/Apple and MOTU claim their stuff is, I still only end up using Waves plug-ins for Mastering.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:28:11 AM »
I find that Peak is the application which is most suited to the kind of work I do to post-process recordings from my FR-2. It seems designed with an understanding of the process of converting a big file from a live show into a set of tracks. Editing, converting to regions, exporting to files, are all intuitive and straight-forward, with a gentle learning curve.

Some here have a deep hatred for Peak, probably because of nasty experiences with the company, BIAS. BIAS, and especially Steve Berkely its principal, are incredibly arrogant. Also, Peak is a cpu hog. Not much of a problem with a machine which runs faster than 700MHtz.

My only issue with Peak is that it won't work with files >2GB, so I have to chop up my files in Spark first. I've heard that the new version of Peak (5.0), can handle the big files. Spark is fine with >2GB, but I cannot handle it's ui. Workflow in Spark is totally non-Apple hig, bugs me muchly.

There is a new option out there, Wave Editor, which looks interesting. It requires 10.4, so I'll check it on my desktop machine next week. If anyone cares, I'll report back.

there are also lots of free option, Audacity being one of the best.

Cheers, Chris

Update: Peak 5 won't handle >2GB, neither will Wave Editor. Looks like Spark is the only one to handle large files.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 04:55:43 PM by checht »
MK41s, MK22s; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:00:35 PM »
I will say that if you want a good set of plug-ins for mastering, you can't beat Waves. However, they aren't cheap. I've been using Waves stuff for close to 7 years now and can't see not using them. In fact, regardless of how good Emagic/Apple and MOTU claim their stuff is, I still only end up using Waves plug-ins for Mastering.

Wayne

AMEN!! I LOVE the Rennaisance plugins. I just wish my Waves Gold plugins were for Win and Mac...mine are Win only :(

I'm still trying to find a Mac replacement for SoundForge...I have yet to find a better 2track stereo editor.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:43:48 AM »
Soundstudio is also a cheep and simple solution. http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 03:09:55 PM »
wbrisette was right, most of what I need IS in cubase -- I just didnt know how to use it yet.

These other applications look cute, but really Logic, DP and Cubase have the best offering (especially for a multitrack recording).

The >2GB file thing sounds nice, but I cant abandon Cubase for Spark -- its only stereo right? What do I do with my patched tracks?
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »
AMEN!! I LOVE the Rennaisance plugins. I just wish my Waves Gold plugins were for Win and Mac...mine are Win only :(

Have you talked to Waves yet? They might be willing to make you a deal since you're only looking to go cross platform with them.

Wayne

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »
The >2GB file thing sounds nice, but I cant abandon Cubase for Spark -- its only stereo right? What do I do with my patched tracks?

Here is how I worked this in Digital Performer. I find the point where I would break up the CDs into Disc 1 and Disc 2, then I cut the tracks there. Save the file again with the name Part1. Then Save it again with the name Part2. Next I open up Part1, delete the parts which belong to part2, and save it. You can then bounce to a 2 track file at this point, or simply repeat the process with the file titled Part2. Only this time you need to delete the information that belongs to part1. After this I bounce both parts and then do any major editing in either Peak or WaveBurner (finally upgraded to 1.1.1 this weekend and it finally does what it was suppose to do --- work properly like it did in Mac OS 9).

That's about the only way to deal with greater than 2 GB files, or use Spark to open up files greater than 2 GB.

Wayne

Offline boarderx5423

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 12:52:55 PM »
I use Audacity on my Powerbook and it works fine for what I need to do.  It isn't as nice as some of the other products, but its great for being freeware.

I also have a quick question I thought I would throw in here instead of making a new thread about.  On my old Dell I was able to use Nero for burning CDR's and DVDR and RWs.  From best I can tell, Apple doesn't support Nero, so what program would you advise using for burning CD's and DVD's?  I don't need to burn video DVD's, just data DVD's (for storing shows).
~BJ
Studio Project C4's -> Edirol UA-5 -> JB3 -> Apple PowerBook G4

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 02:33:02 PM »
I use Audacity on my Powerbook and it works fine for what I need to do.  It isn't as nice as some of the other products, but its great for being freeware.

I also have a quick question I thought I would throw in here instead of making a new thread about.  On my old Dell I was able to use Nero for burning CDR's and DVDR and RWs.  From best I can tell, Apple doesn't support Nero, so what program would you advise using for burning CD's and DVD's?  I don't need to burn video DVD's, just data DVD's (for storing shows).

I use Audacity and it works for me.  Yeah, it's not as powerful and it is a bit clumsy compared to Peak, but it is a no nonsense interface and it's fine for what I use it for.

I drop wav files into itunes to burn audio cd's, and I simply create a "burn folder" on my desktop to create data cd's.  I have not yet burned a DVD on my new ibook.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
So for remastering (remove noise, add bass/treble and such), Cubase is the best option for Mac? I have a brand new 12" iBook with 1gb ram so I think I should be able to run most programs.

MoFo2

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 05:44:38 PM »
I have a brand new 12" iBook with 1gb ram so I think I should be able to run most programs.

Oh hell yeah, you'll be fine with most any audio program out there...
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

wilsondmb

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 01:34:38 AM »

just use the disc utility

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com