Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4061 Connection Help!  (Read 5747 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
DPA4061 Connection Help!
« on: September 08, 2005, 11:10:20 AM »
I bought a used set of DPA 4061's, which have 1/8 inch/mini connections at the ends of the active cables; I also bought a new DPA mma6000 preamp but it only has the proprietary DPA Microdot inputs on the unit; so this equipment is not compatible in its current condition; over on the DPA website (dpamicrophones.com) there is an accessory called the "Microdot Connector" that looks like it could be wired into, and replace the mini adaptor currently attached to, the active cables; so, in order to make the mics/cables compatible with the mma6000, do I need to buy an adapter that simply connects the mini with the Microdot in's (assuming one exists) , or do I need to completely replace the mini connections with the Microdot accessory connection?  I have no idea, please help if you are knowledgeable, I had no idea I would encounter this problem until I set up my rig for the first time last night and got this unpleasant surprise, thanks, Grider

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: DPA4061 Connection Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:24:55 AM »
I think they are not adapters....I think you'll have to cut off the mini and solder on the microdots.  A cheaper option might be a sound pro's battery box?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline grider

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:29:51 AM »
I think they are not adapters....I think you'll have to cut off the mini and solder on the microdots.  A cheaper option might be a sound pro's battery box?

thanks, if anyone else knows for certain what I need do to make this equipment compatible please chime in, and I am not looking for a cheap rig here, for this stealth rig I want small and high quality equipment, cost is not my concern

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:35:25 AM »
Do you have a mini-plug on each mic, or are there 2 mics wired to one plug?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:41:59 AM »
thanks, if anyone else knows for certain what I need do to make this equipment compatible please chime in, and I am not looking for a cheap rig here, for this stealth rig I want small and high quality equipment, cost is not my concern

Send the mics to DPA USA (contact them first for an RMA number) and have them put on microdots at the cost of $75 each mic.  While you are at it, suggest to them that they need to carry right angle microdots to reduce connector stress!   If you try to put on the microdots yourself, it will most likely result in failure or a compromised connection.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:10 AM »

Send the mics to DPA USA (contact them first for an RMA number) and have them put on microdots at the cost of $75 each mic.  While you are at it, suggest to them that they need to carry right angle microdots to reduce connector stress!   If you try to put on the microdots yourself, it will most likely result in failure or a compromised connection.

the wires are INCREDIBLY small.  I had a very, very hard time soldering mine.  Since you are not worried about cost, I think the above suggestion is correct.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:00:20 PM »
When I upgrade to V3, should I be doing the same w/ my 4060's: Sending to DPA USA for refitting, or should I get a microdot/xlr adapter? (Mine already HAVE the microdot end.....)??

Soldering makes my testicles ascend.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline grider

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 06:31:10 PM »
Update:  Most of the users here seem to point their 4061's up toward the ceiling, which is what I was about to do tonite, except for the fact that per Marc Nutter this is not the correct way to position these mics; per Marc, who knows infinitely more about such things than me, the mics should be pointed directly at the source/pa's/monitors, and not up, I'm following his advice for now

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 11:35:07 PM »
how would you point them vertically if you were stealthing (like in some croakies on glasses)?  sorry for the newb question, but i'm a little lost on this.  i've always been interested in the dpa 406x as i have many many stealth recordings made with them and i'd like to know more.
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 02:34:04 AM »
I just made my first tape tonight with my 4061s, pointed roughly towards the source.  The improvement in sound over my CSBs is unreal.  I usually have to drop a ton of bass in post with the CSBs, but on this tape it's perfect.  The thing I don't get is if they're omnis, how does the direction matter?

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »
"and learn to love the bumps and bruises that poopup"

yeah i hate when things "POOPUP"  >:D

"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 05:28:56 AM »
The more I play with these mics the more I have found that the direction they're pointed doesn't really make much differance in the results.  Straight ahead or off to the sides when you listen with phones you can still feel all of the spacial information relative to your position while taping.  Basically if you're stealthing these mics you're gonna get a recording that's an accurate depiction of the sound in the room.  You shouldn't really have to EQ these masters at all unless there's just so much bass that it's not pleasurable to listen to. 

What's the real differance between the MMA600 and a standard 9volt batt box with these mics anyway though?  I've read reports from people saying that the mics sound so good with the preamp that they don't see a need for any further sound processing gear.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 10:37:05 AM »
[hjac]

The hrtf headband technically doesn't make that adjustment, as it wrongly "points" the mics at the source. But, it still turns out a fine recording. And being stealth, you make the best of what you've got to work with, and learn to love the bumps and bruises that poopup.

actually, i can orient them properly on the hrtf headband - i will post pics later today...

[/hjack]
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 12:46:39 PM »
The thing I don't get is if they're omnis, how does the direction matter?

Because even omnis are slightly directional at higher frequencies.  Take the 4061s:

You can see at 20kHz they're -5dB at 180º, for example.  Now, whether or not it's audible running them aligned v. not, I don't know since I don't run these mics, but I'd say probably not.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline grider

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »
The more I play with these mics the more I have found that the direction they're pointed doesn't really make much differance in the results.  Straight ahead or off to the sides when you listen with phones you can still feel all of the spacial information relative to your position while taping.  Basically if you're stealthing these mics you're gonna get a recording that's an accurate depiction of the sound in the room.  You shouldn't really have to EQ these masters at all unless there's just so much bass that it's not pleasurable to listen to. 

What's the real differance between the MMA600 and a standard 9volt batt box with these mics anyway though?  I've read reports from people saying that the mics sound so good with the preamp that they don't see a need for any further sound processing gear.

I almost bought the dpa battery box, but I ended up buying the mma6000 and I'm glad I did, its a kick ass transparent preamp, like the battery box it provides phantom power and a high pass filter, but the mma6000 also provides variable (argg why not just continuous) gain controls for each channel; its about twice the size of a deck of cards and built solid, I really like it over the simple battery box

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com