Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound Cardioids  (Read 2289 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Core Sound Cardioids
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:59:34 PM »
Anyone ever used these?

I'm thinking about getting them with bat box,but i'd like an opinion of sound quality.

I know most of you guys will say not to but from Len,but i've had no problems with him,and the CSBs i have i'm very happy with.They even got soaked at an outdoor show and still work fine.

So who's used these.

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Core Sound Cardioids
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:43:30 PM »
Anyone ever used these?

I'm thinking about getting them with bat box,but i'd like an opinion of sound quality.

I know most of you guys will say not to but from Len,but i've had no problems with him,and the CSBs i have i'm very happy with.They even got soaked at an outdoor show and still work fine.

So who's used these.

Ive used them. Thin sounding...metallic....dont like em that much. ATs will serve you better, IMHO.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »
They may hold you over for a while, but they do sound very tinny.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 07:48:35 PM »
i concur fully with the two respondents so far.

i owned CSBs for a couple of years & made some great recordings with them -- seriously!  bought CSCs because i figured cutting the chatter from the rear would improve my masters.  they did not, not at all.

if you'd like to do a little comparison shopping, i did a three night run of sonic youth at irving plaza back in june of 1998. 

night one:  csb > d8
night two:  dsm6 > d8
night three:  csc > d8

i stood in the exact same location for all three nights, and the CSC tape is easily my least favorite.  but, truth be told, none of these tapes get any spin time now, having been passed over by the schoeps masters, the boards, et al.  (not to mention the fact that kim gordon's tunes from that era annoy the living bejesus out of me)

if you've got the money, buy a pair of 4061s.  they smoke ALL of the other (relatively) low-cost options IMHO.

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
i concur fully with the two respondents so far.

i owned CSBs for a couple of years & made some great recordings with them -- seriously!  bought CSCs because i figured cutting the chatter from the rear would improve my masters.  they did not, not at all.

if you'd like to do a little comparison shopping, i did a three night run of sonic youth at irving plaza back in june of 1998. 

night one:  csb > d8
night two:  dsm6 > d8
night three:  csc > d8

i stood in the exact same location for all three nights, and the CSC tape is easily my least favorite.  but, truth be told, none of these tapes get any spin time now, having been passed over by the schoeps masters, the boards, et al.  (not to mention the fact that kim gordon's tunes from that era annoy the living bejesus out of me)

if you've got the money, buy a pair of 4061s.  they smoke ALL of the other (relatively) low-cost options IMHO.

QFT!

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
Thanks guys.......4061's will be my next buy.
As if i didn't already know they should be.

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:29:46 PM »
I’ve had a pair of the CSCs almost a year as my starter mic set and have recently supplemented with a pair of AT 853s and I am leisurely shopping for a pair of 4061s {it seems to be a natural progression}.  The CSCs are sturdy as hell and convenient by running them line in into an SBM-1 you can set it at 10 and never clip but they do have that thin sound and they make snare drum come off kind of like cardboard.  The 853s have a much fuller sound but come out of their batt box really hot so you have to ride levels a bit and it is more parts.  I’m envisioning a dpa 4061 + mps6020 set up that will give me a healthy controllable line out and that killer smooth sound they have.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com