Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can I clean out the house with a 722?  (Read 10130 times)

Offline Mike Sarnovsky

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I love the 722!
Can I clean out the house with a 722?
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:05:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I probably need to read further down and figure this out for myself, but how about some opinions:

I run km184->MP-2->MOD-SBM-1 (line stage and coax) -> D100.

If I bought a 722, should I just scrap mp-2 and MOD-SBM1 altogether? 

Also, can I run my ecocharge setup, pending I get a new power cable for the 722? 
Mics:  Neumann SKM-140, Neumann SKM-184
Pres:  Lunatec V3, Sound Devices MP-2
A/D:  Oade Mod Sony SBM-1
Recorder:  Sound Devices 722, Nomad JB3

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Can I clean out the house with a 722?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:06:10 AM »
My opinion, the Mod-SBM-1 becomes antiquated w/ a 722, because of its inability to do 24bit.  But, you can still keep the MP-2 for flavor, if you dig it, but its not necessary, as the 722 provides the phantom power.

You should see a 722 in person, if you ever get a chance.  I think its sick as hell...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:08:56 AM »
I'd clean it all out including the eco charges.  They will still work but you can get some 6ah+ li-ion internal batteries for the 722 and shed a lot of weight.  I think these are running 35-40 each. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »
clean everything out...unfortunately it is probably a bit late to get max value out of the DAT as the bottom is dropping out of that market....16 bit devices will probably follow soon as well....

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I probably need to read further down and figure this out for myself, but how about some opinions:

Yes! Neumann > 722 sounds good :)
Retired Taper

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »
clean everything out...unfortunately it is probably a bit late to get max value out of the DAT as the bottom is dropping out of that market....16 bit devices will probably follow soon as well....

I think 16 bit recorders will be around a while.  At the pro audio/video (tiny group) 24 bit is impressive.  But at the normal consumer level (gigantic group), 16 bit works just fine. Besides, if 24 bit became the standard, then HD storage space would have to quadruple to handle it, like what everyone recording 24 bit is experiencing right now at TS.  I say less than 10 years before 24 bit takes hold of the consumer market.   

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

I think 16 bit recorders will be around a while.  At the pro audio/video (tiny group) 24 bit is impressive.  But at the normal consumer level (gigantic group), 16 bit works just fine. Besides, if 24 bit became the standard, then HD storage space would have to quadruple to handle it, like what everyone recording 24 bit is experiencing right now at TS.  I say less than 10 years before 24 bit takes hold of the consumer market.  

from a consumer perspective I agree with you...they will continue listening at that level.  But for tapers, I would argue that most I know want to record at the highest resolution possible, then dither/resample down to get to a format for distribtuion, but in the future they have access to those high res recordings...

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:28:05 PM »
I think that the mp-2 sounds a bit like the 722 pre...warm, lacking a bit of detail, but overall pleasing sound. So in your case, I think you'd do fine getting rid of both the sbm1 and mp-2. The mp-2 just wouldn't do much to tighten things up imo.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 03:28:50 PM »

My DAW only has 36GB of storage for audio files and I have no problems with space(you guys know how much i tape too).  I have tried it w/ some 40 & 60 gig IDE drives but the extra space was not really necessary and was more time consuming than using the SCSI drive.  This is an ~1.2Ghz AMD w/ 512 RAM.  IMHO it is not a HD space issue but an optical media issue ~4.5GB on a DVD is crap, R9 is way too expensive for the media and still limited space.  We need 25/50/100GB removeable/archivable media @ less than $1 a disk(preferebly in the .25 range), NOW. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 03:36:28 PM »

from a consumer perspective I agree with you...they will continue listening at that level.  But for tapers, I would argue that most I know want to record at the highest resolution possible, then dither/resample down to get to a format for distribtuion, but in the future they have access to those high res recordings...

Agreed on tapers.  Though for me personal, the extra work involved in dithering would require me to hire a producer to handle the extra work load.  I usually have a full taping schedule. Maybe in the future, but not now while I battling tapers-flu.   ;)   ;D 

zowie

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 03:39:37 PM »
In addition, pro musicians who tape very casually still seem to like DAT too.

Something else to think about:  one reason the prices may be dropping is that the decks have a pretty limited lifetime absent expensive service and they obviously get older and more used by the day with new production having ceased.  In that respect dropping prices does not signify dropping interest, any more than the increasing depreciation of a used car as it ages signifies a shift away from driving cars.  But indeed I present that as only one factor influencing the DAT price declines.

Back to the original topic (but still crapping the thread a bit), if I were running km184->MP-2->MOD-SBM-1 ( -> D100,  I'd seriously consider eliminating the SBM-1 from the current rig.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 04:21:20 PM by zowie »

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 07:06:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Also, can I run my ecocharge setup, pending I get a new power cable for the 722? 

Clean it out is definitely an option.  I've run some comps (in my living room) using my 722 internal pre and my Oade m148.  The 722 has a warm sound that is similar to the m148.  I found the 148 to have a more robust, fuller midrange than the 722, but definitely felt the 722 pre was good enough to leave my m148 at home if I needed to run a more compact setup for some reason.  If you love the sound of the Aerco, then it may be worth keeping...that's a personal preference kind of thing.  The ModSBM would most certainly be out the door.  What's the saying..."once you go 24bit..." you get the idea.  ;)

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 07:15:29 PM »

Agreed on tapers.  Though for me personal, the extra work involved in dithering would require me to hire a producer to handle the extra work load.  I usually have a full taping schedule. Maybe in the future, but not now while I battling tapers-flu.   ;)   ;D 

Really?  Why?  I cut the 24/96 files into separate .wav tracks via CDWave for DVD.  To "dumb it down" to 16/44.1 for CDs I just use Wavelab to dither then resample the files in batch w/ a preset I've created and saved.  Wavelab will process an entire 3hr show of files in about 3-5min.  Short enough that I don't get bored just sitting there watching it run (and I'm not very patient).  Sure, it's an extra step, but I wouldn't call it time consuming by any stretch of the imagination.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 03:16:13 AM »

Really?  Why?  I cut the 24/96 files into separate .wav tracks via CDWave for DVD.  To "dumb it down" to 16/44.1 for CDs I just use Wavelab to dither then resample the files in batch w/ a preset I've created and saved.  Wavelab will process an entire 3hr show of files in about 3-5min.  Short enough that I don't get bored just sitting there watching it run (and I'm not very patient).  Sure, it's an extra step, but I wouldn't call it time consuming by any stretch of the imagination.

+T for answering that.  Do you dumb it down, before Flacing or after?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 07:47:29 AM »

Any tips on creating the batch processing preset you made in Wavelab would be entirely appreciated.  I usually cut the files in CD-WAV, and save each track at 24bit.  Then, I'll bring in the huge file into SoundForge, do a Waves L2 dither, and re-cut them all again with CD-WAV using the cue sheet.

I really suck at wavelab.   It seems very counter-intuitive to me.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com