Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand Mounts/Placement for Opera Demo  (Read 1803 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Stand Mounts/Placement for Opera Demo
« on: November 15, 2005, 03:26:52 AM »
Same Question as about a year ago from me....but different city, so I think that means I still get to ask it.....again!

Doing a demo for a friend here. Piano and Voice. Using dpa4060's.

First Q: Mic Stands. What might I use for these tiny mics? I always run croakie during taping, so doing stand mount is always a bit of a dilemma to me....I am wanting to start taping non-classical, so making a small investment into stands might be good for me. Also, mic holders.....wtf would I use on these things?

2nd Q: Placement and Spacing? 8" spread?? 5' spread?? What? Use equation 1/2 distance from source?? HELP! X or ORTF if not spaced?

Thanks everyone. So much to learn.....so little time!
Andrew
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: Stand Mounts/Placement for Opera Demo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:13:59 PM »
moke, wouldnt this seem to be a great spot for a jdisk?
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:29:52 PM »
I would think so.
I think Andrew built himself one already? plans to?

It really allows a neat, easy, natural panning in a recording, depending on its placement. And being baffled, it helps filter room reverberations to a more palletable degree. With each mic being so close to the other, the signal arrival time is nearly coincidental, so the reverberant waves are more simultaneous. With each mic being baffled, the attenuation between mics is in excess of 3dB, and might be as much as 5 or 6dB depending on amplitude. So there is substantial baffling of the reverberant waves, which really helps to clean up omni recordings.

now if I could just get it to make the morning coffee, I would have found the perfect tool.

i got mine to, but it always makes the coffee too weak.

not to mention it never cleans the filter when done.

weak ass j disk.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 03:06:10 PM »
I ran my homemade jdisc for the first time this past weekend, and I'm quite happy with the results.   Its similar to the one that Moke has pics of, but I found these nifty little rubber "fender washers" at the local hardware store that can be stretched to fit around the 406x capsule, and holds them snug when not stretched.  I covered those washers in fleece, and it works and sounds nice - total $ spent was prolly around $5...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:27:04 AM »
Thanks to all. No, Mike, I hadn't build a Jdisc yet, but your thinking I HAD got me on it. I will post later in the jdisc "forum." I'm taking pictures of my work as I build it. I HAVE noticed you guys are using some wicked thick furry shit when you build yours. I have decided to take a pair of velvet pants my 6yr old has grown out of, as cover for the styrofoam jdisc and see if that is enuf of a rough non-reflective surface....hope so!

Thank you also, for the room attenuation info. I didn't know that there was that to consider. I thought j's were solely for seperation. Good stuff. I'd +t ya, but dood, you got so many farkin' tickets...:-)

I'm going to go ahead and buy a mic stand to mount the disc on, and run it tomorrow when I tape. It should be an interesting time.

Can I say I just LOVE my pmd671?? Fuck me wanda, that thang is amazing. Anyway, thanks again for the help to all three of you. Will report back after domani.

Ciao4now
Andrew
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com