Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP! DAT RIP!  (Read 4976 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
HELP! DAT RIP!
« on: December 01, 2005, 09:55:59 PM »
man this sucks... I tape my first depeche mode show and when I got outside the venue the dat film ripped!!!! it sucks! my dad took off the top and we spliced it back together with tape but it is still not working but I know for a fact I recorded last night. should we even bother trying to reverse the film or just screw it? this sucks. why did it have to happen last night!  >:(

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re: HELP! DAT RIP!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 11:30:03 PM »
man this sucks... I tape my first depeche mode show and when I got outside the venue the dat film ripped!!!! it sucks! my dad took off the top and we spliced it back together with tape but it is still not working but I know for a fact I recorded last night. should we even bother trying to reverse the film or just screw it? this sucks. why did it have to happen last night!  >:(

i have had this happen before. When doing the splice you need to make sure there's no excess tape overlapping. also, what i suggest, is hand-tightening it using a pencil eraser, tensioning the tape will help.
Odds are, the rip is at the END of the set, right? so basically what you should do is once you splice it together, rewind SLIGHTLY by hand just to get the spliced piece of tape into the casette and onto the spool (the left spool as you look at it from the top view).

Then you should be able to rewind the tape and get a good play out of it. (transferring at the same time). Be careful to stop the tape at the very end, rather than letting it play through the splce.

if the break is not at the end, its going to make it more difficult and you'll definitely have a drop out.

hope this helps - +T for your troubles! And if it works hook me up w/ a copy ! ;)

good luck
ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Depechemode1993

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 07:04:59 PM »
Ian,

thanks for the reply. Should I consider flipping the tape over? because I hear nothing on the side that we spliced it on.

Offline ianstone

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 08:06:07 PM »
Ian,

thanks for the reply. Should I consider flipping the tape over? because I hear nothing on the side that we spliced it on.

are you sure that the tape recorded? was it at the end or is it at the beginning? the tape could have broken before anything was written to it... therefore the counter woulda been going and it'd look like it was taping, but in reality nothing was being written

that's the big thing.

you might not have any music on the spot on the tape where the splice is... but how about before/after it?

you def dont want to be flipping the tape around and creating "twists" in the film of the tape...

what kind of tape are you using for the splice? when i did mine, i used casette splicing tape.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Depechemode1993

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:01:36 PM »
I just used some scotch tape. was that not the right thing to use? the break was at the end of the show so I definately taped something. but when I rewind the tape and I try to play it in my D8 it is not working. my D8 has also been misloading tapes. should I try another deck?

Depechemode1993

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 09:27:18 PM »
also,  does the tension matter on the film. I rewinded the whole thing to the first part but its not very tight.

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 02:42:07 PM »
Did your DAT tape ripped upon ejecting from the D8 or?
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Depechemode1993

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 10:00:54 PM »
ok this is how it went. I taped the show. I popped in my headphones after I rewound the show for about 5 min of listen (so about the whole last song) then I kept the tape going until the end of the show and I stopped the tape. I was ready to rewind the whole tape and my D8 was acting up. what I mean by that is when I try to rewind the spools wouldn't catch the tape and you would just hear the rewind motor going around and it would power down and turn off and reload. so I said screw it, I ejected the tape and when I tried to pull the tape out I was tugging on it so I said "I am not going to rip this tape" so I thought the best thing to do was to put it back into the deck to reload. wrong! I pop it out and its ripped.....

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »
I just used some scotch tape. was that not the right thing to use? the break was at the end of the show so I definately taped something. but when I rewind the tape and I try to play it in my D8 it is not working. my D8 has also been misloading tapes. should I try another deck?

I used to have this same tape misload problem all the time, and I could not freaking understand why, so I finally diagnosed the problem and its a weird one, but you have be having the same problem:  I would experience misloads when the line-in signal (whether it be a patch, signal from a preamp, signal from another dat machine during cloning) stopped but my dat machine kept on recording in record mode, though there was nothing to record since I had no signal, and then finally pressed stop on the deck; when I did this, for some reason, I would be unable to remove the dat tape from the machine the tape itself would always be stuck inside the deck and it would eat the date tape every time; when, however, I stopped the deck when it was still getting a signal, like the house music or chatter following a show, I could remove the dat no problem at all; how I diagnosed this problem was by trying both of these ways of stopping the deck and removing the dat; I realized that one caused the deck to eat the dat, the other did not; and I realized the solution when it does happen, and it works: if you press stop on the deck, and try to remove the dat and the tape is stuck inside, slide the tape back in, get a recording signal from some source so the dat can again record data, and put the deck back into record mode for a few seconds, and as it is rolling tape recording whatever signal you are putting into it, then, at that moment, press stop once again, and I will bet you will be able to remove the dat from the machine with no problems whatsoever; since using this strategy I have not had the deck eat a single dat tape, hope this helps

Offline hitch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 01:34:50 AM »
:( That really sucks. I hope that gets fixed Ryan... we need more DM tape! : D
AT831s>SPSB1>Denon DTR80P/JB3

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 11:53:28 AM »
+t grider. i just sold my last portable DAT (M1), but i know there are still plenty of people who record with DATs who can benefit from that info.

Offline ianstone

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »
i would not have used scotch tape
get some splicing tape
if you want to send it to me i can attempt it and play it in my home deck and get you a good Xfer

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »
Ian,

are you sure that the tape recorded? was it at the end or is it at the beginning? the tape could have broken before anything was written to it... therefore the counter woulda been going and it'd look like it was taping, but in reality nothing was being written

that's the big thing.

you might not have any music on the spot on the tape where the splice is... but how about before/after it?

you def dont want to be flipping the tape around and creating "twists" in the film of the tape...

what kind of tape are you using for the splice? when i did mine, i used casette splicing tape.

Only time I've broken tapes is when my d8 misloads and I pull the tape out and it was caught on the trasnport. Could be what happened in which case you may not have anything on the tape.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Depechemode1993

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
Ian,

that's the big thing.

Only time I've broken tapes is when my d8 misloads and I pull the tape out and it was caught on the trasnport. Could be what happened in which case you may not have anything on the tape.

-e

ok but there was not a bunch of dat tape in the recorder . it taped all the way through becasue the 90m was almost all through to the end. as I taped the opener and dm plus martin gore's dj set so it was almost 3 hrs. I had to have taped something. there was only some out that was caught on something.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:08:42 PM »
Ian,

that's the big thing.

-e

ok but there was not a bunch of dat tape in the recorder . it taped all the way through becasue the 90m was almost all through to the end. as I taped the opener and dm plus martin gore's dj set so it was almost 3 hrs. I had to have taped something. there was only some out that was caught on something.

Not necessarily....when a tape misloads the counter still runs...you still get levels...but you get nothing written on the tape...believe me it's played out that way at least 3 times for me.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com