Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.3  (Read 43883 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Beta 1.2.3
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »
I ran 24/96 at home to check my battery time since the V3 pulls more juice the higher you go.  I did not have any problems running the spidf @ 24/96.  What kind of flakieness has been found? 
Channel swapping when using SPDIF.

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
Sounds to me like everyone needs to compile their want list again & send it to the new Support.  If they responded, it could be a great way to lay it all out in front of them.  If they got 25+ emails requesting the same stuff it wouldn't hurt too bad either.

This might be old-fashioned, but what about actually putting your wants/needs/gripes on a physical piece of paper?  Does that make more of an impact than an email or an online "incident report"?  I sent a four-page letter to:
FAX (Executive): 626-633-9032

No response by mail or email, but hopefully it was noticed and passed around!  Just a thought...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »
microtracksucks.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2006, 06:32:09 PM »
freelunch-is-a-cranky-negative-ned.com
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »
lol... ned... lol

BTW... I would not trust a fax... At my work we get more spam through fax than email.

I've had pretty good luck with my microtrack... No problems and the only freeze up was when the UA-5 battery died and the digital signal was lost.  After a bunch of button mashing it shut down and the file was saved properly.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2006, 10:47:03 PM »
No problems and the only freeze up was when the UA-5 battery died and the digital signal was lost.  After a bunch of button mashing it shut down and the file was saved properly.

I've seen that problem too.  No digi signal and it hangs when trying to save the empty file. I had to do the "many second power off reset"..

The microtrack problems are very real. I guess I should pretend the problems are resolved. Funny, you don't see Edirol R-1 bitch threads.  You don't see 722 bitch threads.  Etc..

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2006, 10:59:18 PM »
The microtrack problems are very real. I guess I should pretend the problems are resolved.

Yes, they're real, and I'm not suggesting your pretend otherwise.  But aside from the 2GB file size limit, IME they all have easy workarounds (e.g. don't power up or stop the file without a S/PDIF signal present).  Even the 2GB file size limit isn't that big a deal - it only takes a few seconds to stop and re-start a new file.  Since firmware 1.2.3 it's been bulletproof for me as a bit-bucket.

Anyway, the point I'm finally getting around to is I think everyone knows the MTs bugs.  Some know better how to work around the quirks than others, or maybe have units that are less buggy for one reason or another.  Constantly harping on the negatives gets awfully tiresome after a while.  You think it sucks, I think it's a great, inexpensive way to get into 24-bit recording using an external ADC.  I'm simply trying to provide a balancing perspective.

Funny, you don't see Edirol R-1 bitch threads.  You don't see 722 bitch threads.  Etc..

Oh, no?  Dunno about the R1, but there was plenty of bitching about the 722, both before and after it finally hit the market.  Go dig up the threads if you don't believe me, they're still around.

« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2006, 11:41:51 PM »
Constantly harping on the negatives gets awfully tiresome after a while.

Define constantly.  Curious thing, when the problems are resolved, the bitching stops.

Some know better how to work around the quirks than others

And yet we still have experienced tapers who have owned and used their micrtracks for quite a while get bitten by those bugs.  Simply because they aren't familiar with every undocumented quirk and work-around.  I know of two local tapers who had that happen very recently. I guess I should have just told them they're being negative and not otherwise mention it.  They both seemed pretty PO'd at their MT's.

Oh, no?  Dunno about the R1, but there was plenty of bitching about the 722, both before and after it finally hit the market.  Go dig up the threads if you don't believe me, they're still around.

The R-1 is probably the best example of a fairly comparable product that was far better tested before being released.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
Define constantly.

No, you're right - you've not constantly harped on the negatives.  Apologies, FL - I replied while in a cranky mood based on what I perceive (whether it's true or not) as the increasing negativity on the board as a whole, not just regarding the MT (though there's a fair amount of it specific to the MT, sometimes with good reason, sometimes not). 

Curious thing, when the problems are resolved, the bitching stops.

Nothing curious about it, no surprise there.

And yet we still have experienced tapers who have owned and used their micrtracks for quite a while get bitten by those bugs.  Simply because they aren't familiar with every undocumented quirk and work-around.

Every high-tech piece of gear I've ever used (especially field gear) has undocumented quirks of some sort (some more serious than others).  I think it's incumbent upon users to utilize unofficial resources (like the boatloads of MT threads and FAQ here at TS) and, more importantly, their own testing to identify and address undocumented quirks - especially when it comes to a first-generation device.  We can lament all we wish the fact that designers and manufacturers of highly complex devices do not produce perfect first-generation products.  But the fact remains:  complex first-gen devices have bugs.  Every single one.  (Though I suspect you'll point out the R-1, and if it did not have bugs - which I doubt - then it's the exception, not the rule).  Users - especially tapers - should be aware of that fact, and take steps accordingly (as mentioned above).  Those who do not take these steps use the device at their own risk.  Sounds like your local buddies got dinged on this one.  It's a shame, not entirely surprising, and IME basically avoidable with a little effort on the user's part.

I know of two local tapers who had that happen very recently. I guess I should have just told them they're being negative and not otherwise mention it.  They both seemed pretty PO'd at their MT's.

That's the pits.  I've been there.  I was frustrated by my MT problems before TS identified the workarounds to the two major bugs of which I'm aware, both now listed in the Archive forum's MT FAQ:

[191] When recording at 24 bits, my MT2496 shuts off early or cannot record for as long as i thought it would. What is wrong?

Brian Skalinder has reported various tests in regard to this matter... please refer to his response in the following thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53572.0

And this one not yet assigned an issue # in the FAQ:

[###]  My MT sometimes locks up when I try to start or stop a recording.  What's going on?

It appears the MT is sensitive to its start-up and file-stop conditions.  If the MT is not receiving a live S/PDIF signal when powering up or stopping a recording, the MT will sometimes freeze, i.e. lock up.  The only resolution to the freeze seems to be a re-set (hold down the power button until it powers off, then start over again).  Workaround:  ensure your MT is receiving a live S/PDIF signal before powering on or stopping a recording.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »
is the issue of it sometimes resetting itself to factory defaults in the FAQ, cuz it should be.

i was one of those locals that FL was talking about.  now i probably haven't tested the MT as much as some others, but I've read everything on this site religiously.  the MT pissed me off at moe because after the bisco set, it reset itself to defaults for no reason.  i hadn't read about it anywhere, and it never happened in testing.  no big deal, i ran backup and there are tons of other tapes anyway.  It also pissed me off before tho when it corrupted a file.

yeah, i understand shit happens, i've forgiven the MT, especially since all went well for the sigur ros show i taped, but i'd still like to see some more firmware updates and have it be more reliable.  I'm not ready to sell it yet, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2006, 02:41:57 PM »
is the issue of it sometimes resetting itself to factory defaults in the FAQ, cuz it should be.

I don't think it is, no.  Drop Andrew Pierce a line and he'll add it, I'm sure.  While the FAQ is most useful for repeatable quirks, even knowing about a so far non-repeatable issue helps - in this case, so people can check their settings to ensure they've not re-set.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2006, 05:03:51 PM »
I checked my setytings last night, and didnt notice any change
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2006, 06:16:13 PM »
I don't know how mine was reset exactly.  I taped the opener and when I shut down between bands it took a few moments longer than normal for the MT to shut down.  Everything seemed normal though.  Then when I started it up for the main band and hit record, the unit had reset and recorded the rest of the night using the 1/8" line in default...instead of spdif in.  Of course, I didn't notice this until the next day, but....I'm guessing the abnormal shutdown caused the unit to reset.  Just something to look at when you turn it on when you use it.

*shrug*  I'll notice it next time. :)

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2006, 11:34:23 PM »
Set up for the first time tonight.  Got everything hooked up, card formatted (4GB Ultra II SD), and went to work with S/PDIF in. 

I can't seem to change the sample rate.  With S/PDIF, I can bounce between 16 and 24 bit, but the sample rate stays on "auto" and will not let me adjust.  Oddly enough, when I look at recording time at this point, I only have 3 hours, opposed to 6.5 when locked on 1/8 or 1/4" in.  Did I miss a setting in the thread above?
Socks are overrated.

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2006, 11:51:32 PM »
You can't change the sample rate when running S/PDIF, only when you running analog in. Just use auto, then it will go with what you set your UA-5 at for sample rate. Also, make sure the ADV is "on" on the UA-5.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com