Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: windows reinstall  (Read 2397 times)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
windows reinstall
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:24:27 PM »
I want to do a fresh install of windows. The version of XP that came with my computer does not have SP1 or SP2. Am I screwed into purchasing a new copy of windows, or can I download SP2?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: windows reinstall
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:28:28 PM »
Should be able to do a clean install and run through windows update a few times to get you up to SP2 and all current patches.

If you don't have to don't hook the PC directly up to internet w/ out a firewall or router thingy or you will probably only last a few minutes before getting a virus or adware problem
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »
Consider downloading and burning SP2 to a CD before rebuilding, or on another computer if you've got access to one.  Or store it on an external drive, share, pen drive, etc.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Then rebuild, update to SP2, connect to the 'net and do the rest of the Windows updates in at least relative security.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »
Your virus software should  run on SP2 before the Windows updates, so install it and update it before you hit the Windows update and you shoudl be fine - just did it last night myself...
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:54:57 AM »
I have a friend going through the same thing right now.  My suggestion is to take your windows disc, download sp2 and then download a program called nlite.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

It's a program that will help to intergrate SP2 into your version of XP.  You can also remove options, tweak windows and all sorts of other things.  After it integrates SP2 it will add your tweaks and whatnot and create an ISO file for you.  Burn the ISO file to disc and it now becomes your Windows XP w/SP2 disc. 

It is very easy to understand and does not take a computer wiz to figure out and do.  It'll make things a whole lot easier for ya!

Good luck!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:21:58 AM »
I have a friend going through the same thing right now.  My suggestion is to take your windows disc, download sp2 and then download a program called nlite.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

It's a program that will help to intergrate SP2 into your version of XP.  You can also remove options, tweak windows and all sorts of other things.  After it integrates SP2 it will add your tweaks and whatnot and create an ISO file for you.  Burn the ISO file to disc and it now becomes your Windows XP w/SP2 disc. 

It is very easy to understand and does not take a computer wiz to figure out and do.  It'll make things a whole lot easier for ya!

Good luck!

I think you can make the resulting disc "automatic." Basically you store all the info that you would normally enter during installation, in advance (time zone, serial #, etc.) Then you just pop the CD-R in and let her rip. Totally unattended install. Pretty cool.

You still need to download current virus def's so you can update your virus software BEFORE hooking up to the internet.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Thanks guys. Hopefully this will be as painless as possible. +T

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
One more question. I'm gonna pick up a new hard drive tonight, and start completely fresh. Is there anything else I'm going to need/know for doing the install. What about a partition? The 2 1/2 year old Dell I've got wasn't set up with a windows partition. I've downloaded SP2 here at work, and am going to move it to my Microtrack(CF card) to take home. I'm still not really clear on how the Nlite software works though.   

Thanks.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
Unless you've got multiple computers to (re)build, I wouldn't bother slipstreaming the SP2 updates.  It takes longer to do that than just updating system after it's built.  Also, in my experience, it doesn't always work 100% correctly and you may have to reapply the service pack afterwards anyway.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com