Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50752 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2006, 07:34:19 AM »
that would be me.
though, i'm not sure how early i'll get it.  Edirol has had a bit of a change, and now all of these recording devices are now part of the Roland division and I have to establish a new contact.
i've got names and numbers, so i'll start calling today.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2006, 05:12:18 PM »
that would be me.

Nick - thanks for the reply... being new to TS.com (not to taping), i am still learning "who is who" and "who knows what".  Greg

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »
well, the first thing to know is that I know JACK.
so if you need to get in touch w/him..lmk
;-)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »
well, the first thing to know is that I know JACK.
so if you need to get in touch w/him..lmk
;-)
Is this the Jack you speak of Nick?   ;D

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »
My indecision on which flash based recording device to buy has increased with the announcement of this product.  I'm guessing I won't be replacing my M1 until 2007.

a few +Ts

lol.  Indeed.  I still plan on dumping my dat very soon, but what shall I buy... :-\
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
If you know Jack, then you must know Jorma.....
ps: The R-09 looks sweet but I'm not sure if I want to part with my R-01 or MT just yet

Hey Nick let us know what you think when you get it, so I can put my name on Doug's list........ just in case a mod is in it's future..

Peace
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 07:55:53 PM by joekar »
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline cascademedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »
Hi All.... Just got back from NAMM myself...  Had a chance to check this out briefly.   It looks like a typial Edirol piece not quite sure why they didnt do digi in nor did their reps.

We placed a significant order at the show for these, but I get the feeling they will not hit the April 1st ship date.  PM or email me for more details.  We'll take preorders but no deposits this time as we dont want to get into a Microtrack situation if this takes till Xmas to arrive.

Personally I still see the Microtrack being a better choice.    I had a long meeting with MAudio powers that be at NAMM and expressed the frustration we've all felt with firmware, etc.    They were very receptive, but the proof will be in their action.

If anyone is looking for an R1 or R4 we still have a significant amount in stock that we would like to move.  Email or PM me for special pricing.

Thanks,
Frank

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
Hi All.... Just got back from NAMM myself...  Had a chance to check this out briefly.   It looks like a typial Edirol piece not quite sure why they didnt do digi in nor did their reps.

We placed a significant order at the show for these, but I get the feeling they will not hit the April 1st ship date.  PM or email me for more details.  We'll take preorders but no deposits this time as we dont want to get into a Microtrack situation if this takes till Xmas to arrive.

Personally I still see the Microtrack being a better choice.    I had a long meeting with MAudio powers that be at NAMM and expressed the frustration we've all felt with firmware, etc.    They were very receptive, but the proof will be in their action.

If anyone is looking for an R1 or R4 we still have a significant amount in stock that we would like to move.  Email or PM me for special pricing.

Thanks,
Frank

Special pricing, nice! I'd say those that haven't tried the R-1 yet and are wondering about it, just take the plunge... a great device!

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »
I'm just so mad that I bought one at full retail price last week.. a day before I saw about the 09.   ARGH! :banging head:

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
I'm just so mad that I bought one at full retail price last week.. a day before I saw about the 09.   ARGH! :banging head:

Don't be! 

The R1 sounds awesome, and you'll be making quality recordings now - where people can only assume the R-09 will be of equal sonic quality. That is until the unit is in one of our hands in what? April... May... or June? There are a lot of shows between now and then...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2006, 03:33:32 AM »
What comes to mind as an R1 owner:
Will Oade mods be available?
Will auto file splitting be a feature added with a firmware update?
Is the ADC of the same quality as the R1?
How easy is it to set levels accurately in a stealth situation?

Now, what tapers who aren't stealthing should consider:
No, 24/96 support and 2gb file limits (which means you're going to run into situations where you will lose a second or 2 during a long set)
No digital inputs (but if you don't own a V3 or digi-mod UA5 this doesn't matter)
Possible issues with metering accuracy
No idea on battery life as of yet

Now a couple other thoughts come to mind.  Since the MT digi inputs don't even work yet, having a single 1/8" input is better than having to use an interconnect dongle to plug your signal into the recorder (lo-z 1/4" lines are unbalanced, just like 1/8" so there's no advantage to those on the MT).  Those who are open taping and don't have a digi-mod UA5 or V3 may want to just go with the R4 instead of any of the other units out there.  The ability to record at 24/96 to a HARD DISK and also supply power to 4 mics on BALANCED inputs kicks any of the other portable recorders asses (except for the 722/744 of course).  Sure, the price of the R4 is a bit higher than the R1/MT/R9 but you don't have to purchase flash cards (at $200+ for 4gb) which brings any of the cheaper options up to around 500-700 depending on options.  Also, with the R4 you don't need an external pre - so you can sell your V2/Minime/UA5/whatever and just use the internals and pay for the recorder with the pre.  The only real downside for the R4 seems to be some issues with powering but I'm not sure how true that claim is since there are folks who run the units regularly.  Being an R1 owner, I really don't see anything being better except for the R4 or 722 as far as compact field recorders go.  If the R9 works and sounds as good as the R1 though, it would probably be a better buy than the R1 (and more stealthy also).

So, buy an R4 is you're open taping and want 24 bit recording but can't afford a 722.  If you're stealthing and the ADC is comparable to the R1, sell your MT and buy the R9.

...that's some stream of thought so maybe it's a bit sloppy, sorry.

Really not very evil at all now...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2006, 06:14:32 AM »
Since the MT digi inputs don't even work yet

this is not true.  I have neve used the analog inputs, only digital, and I've made many great 24 bit recordings.  many other people have too.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2006, 08:25:08 AM »
oh well thanks for the info then.  i remember all the initial issues with the MT after it hit the market and thought that the digital input wasn't working properly yet.  cool that it works then.

revised then...if you have a V3/Digimod UA5 and don't like the MT for recording you can get a laptop and stop worrying about file sizes, flash cards and battery life issues assosciated with the portable recorders.  Really for around $800 you can set yourself up with a beast of a recording laptop - and my Oade R1+Flash Card totalled out at around $750 after shipping and everything.  Realistically there's probably not that many venues where it's actually possible to stealth a UA5 or V3 easily anyway.  If this little R9 turns out to be as good as the R1 though, I might pick one up to play with for a while.  I really do think a laptop is the absolute best recording device if you can feed a digital signal though, especially if you want to do any multitrack stuff.  The R9 looks promissing as a handy dandy 24-bit stealth unit so it'll be interesting to see where the tapers actually turn when the market has more options.  Isn't it odd that nobody has even mentioned that they want to try the new Sony recorder?  Looks like the market they had by the balls is gonna be giving them the finger for digital recording. :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2006, 08:26:40 AM »
Isn't it odd that nobody has even mentioned that they want to try the new Sony recorder?  Looks like the market they had by the balls is gonna be giving them the finger for digital recording. :P

not at all...the "market" as defined by tapers is such a small blip on sony's radar screen it is irrelevant.  The market for these products is journalism and film/tv, which I am guessing there is a market for their product

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »
i wasn't meaning to imply that the technology was being marketed for tapers, but as of 2 years ago nearly every serious type taper out there was relying on their trusty sony dat deck.  now those same people are not even considering the new sony product, a fine example of how loyal consumers actually are.  i think those new sony decks are overpriced and are more for reporters and students who want internal mics anyway.  on a side note, i'd LOVE to see lectures from some of the physics classes at MIT start floating around the trading community.  i've looked around for that sort of thing in the past but couldn't find any tapes in circulation.  even recordings of some of the mind blowing physics convention lectures would be amazing to listen to.  but enough of this....more about the R-09 now

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.269 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com