Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack (MT) 24/96 hang during recording  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Frosty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microtrack (MT) 24/96 hang during recording
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »
So sad.  I've had a Microtrack for a couple of weeks ($299/Guitar Center).  Upgraded firmware.  I did a few tests with a 64Mb card and all seemed well.  Now I'm using a Sandisck Ultra II 1Gb disk.  During recording using 1/8" T-mic, the unit hangs.  I have to reboot - losing whatever I recorded.  So sad.  Could it be he medai I'm using?  Anyone seen anything like this and can offer advice?

For my purposes, the size and audio quality is excellent.  A hang like this, however, makes the unit unusable.

TIA for replies.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Microtrack (MT) 24/96 hang during recording
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 03:23:29 PM »
I would try different media since it worked fine with the included 64MB card.  What bit and sample rates are you using?  Did you try the same rates with both cards?  Good luck, and feel free to post the results.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 04:22:07 PM »
I've been experiencing a weird bug lately where it hangs during playback, but I've never experienced a problem with hanging during recording. I would definitely take Frosty's advice and try the exact same settings that are causing the problem with Sandisk on the 64MB card (unless the problem only occurs after recording for a certain amount of time that is beyond the capacity of the 64MB card). That will at least allow you to determine whether the problem is with the card or the MT.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »

Ok, with the Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb card, I tried three times.  All tests done with 1/8 T-mic recording 192 bit MP3 at 44.1   Results:

1. Hang 3.33
  2. Hang 3.18
  3. Kept going, stopped it after 15 minutes
  4. Hang 6.21

Kokad 64mb (came with)  worked OK.

Sandisk 128mb disc - no hangs during recording.  Recorded several multi-minute files.  HOWEVER, when I tried to copy the files from the MT, on WinXP, the directory was scrambled!  (see attachment). 

Very frustrating!

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:36:03 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use a Sandisk card if you gave me one for free...too much history of problems and poor performance. Your tests seem to make it pretty clear that the card is the problem. Get your money back on the Ultra II if possible (or sell it on eBay) and pick up a different brand (Kingston works well with the MT, as does Transcend).

The MT definitely seems to be picky with the cards it likes...I've had problems with both Ridata CF and Hitachi Microdrives (although others have used Hitachis with no problems). Right now I'm using a Transcend 120x (more like 60x in reality) 4GB with no problems.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:38:50 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »
I've had no problems with the cheap ($60) 1GB PNY or the 4GB Hitachi microdrive either.  What settings are you using, btw?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:18:58 AM »
What firmware?
Did you contact M-Audio?

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:14 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.

Settings noted above, latest f/w.

I did call M-Audio. The suggestion was to 1) hold DEL and cycle power. 2)hold MENU and cycle power.  It got me off the phone but, unfortunately, didn't fix the problem.   :(

Offline raddygast

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 07:13:38 AM »
Hey frosty.

I had one hang myself, while recording on a Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB. I was very upset, did all sorts of tests, and couldn't duplicate the problem except when the unit runs to the very end of the available space. In that case, it would happen every single time. Had the MT switched for another one, same problem (and two others on this forum have confirmed being able to duplicate the problem).

I was wondering if the problem you had had the same symptoms as the one I described in the following threads.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=57300.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=57394.0

Please let me know. I am very interested if this hanging you experienced while recording is due to a general media error with your card, or a firmware bug. The reason I ask is that I can live with my problem (corruption when you let the MT record to the end of the media, but it's just fine if you stop the recording with ten seconds or so to spare) -- but since it did happen to me once while in the middle of a recording with half an hour left, I am very worried it could happen again.

If your problem had the same symptoms, then I'll be doubly worried.

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:31:04 AM »

raddygast - the hang I see is a bit different.  Newly formatted card with f/w 1.2.3.  Random hangs at different times - relatively short recordings sometimes.  No files on card at all (zero bytes or otherwise). 

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
A buddy of mine has had his stop recording intermittently.  It doesn't really hang it just shuts off.  His locked up during the third set after succesfully recording 2 - one hour sets right before it.  It might be PEBKAC but it seems like it is the MT.

We bought our MT's at the same time and we both have Kingston Elite Pro 2GB CF cards.  Both are upgraded to firmware version 1.2.3.  Both recording 16/44.1k WAV.  But mine has not had issues locking up.  The only difference is that he has been recording via the 1/8" input and I have using the SP/DIF in. 

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »

Ok, so the Microtrack appears to work as advertised with the included 64Mb Kodak CF card.  As and experiment, I bought a 256Mb Kodak card this morning and started a new test.  MP3 192bits, 1/8" mic input.  No hang, no hang, no hang after a few tries.  Recorded for several minutes before I stopped.  Then tried a few WAV files.  Still good.  Now, turn the unit off, then power back on.  D'oh!

I get a "reading media" message on the LCD and that's the end.  Hang.

Somethings about this unit (hardware, firmware) just is not ready to serve as a reliable portable recorder I think!

cmoorevt

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »
How fast is the 256MB Kodak card and how fast is the Sandisk card you mentioned in post #1? 

As others have said, the MT is picky about which cards it uses.  Not that it means a whole lot, but I don't see a 256mb Kodak on the list of "Tested and Approved CF cards for the Microtrack"

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-focus.html

Also, if the 64mb Kodak works, but the 256 does not, nor does the Sandisk you tried, it is probably less likely that the device is to blame.

Finally, have you tried recording using anything other than the 1/8 input?  I'm not sure if this would matter, but it may be worth a shot.

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »
How fast is the 256MB Kodak card and how fast is the Sandisk card you mentioned in post #1? 

Doesn't say on the card - how do I tell?

Finally, have you tried recording using anything other than the 1/8 input?  I'm not sure if this would matter, but it may be worth a shot.

Right.  I haven't tried other input alternatives as it is the 1/8" input I would like to use for my purposes.

I called M-Audio tech support, they did not have an explanation and shot a guess/suggestion to me: format the card with Windows and try again.  We'll see...

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »

Update:  Starting again with the Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb card, I reformatted through Windows, selecting FAT32 file system.  Recorded 8 files of varying length, some 192bit MP3, some WAV.    No hangs encountered.

I almost put an exclamation point after that last sentence, but I'd prefer to be cautious, and mildly skeptical about success here.  The FAT32 reformat suggestion seems to have been delivered as a guess, not a definitive solution to an understood problem. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com