Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for 4-track recording?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Suggestions for 4-track recording?
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:33:51 AM »
I've been using a laptop and a Presonus Firepod for 4-track recording (2 SBD + 2 AUD).  It sounds great, but I'm getting frustrated:
- lots of shit to carry
- hard to power (need AC really)
- driver problems (takes a few reboots for Windows XP to "see" the external interface)
- driver problems (unexplained clicks and pops sometimes!)

I know I should buy an Edirol R4, but I'm wondering if there are cheaper ways.

For example, is it possible to "sync" two ADC's together so they use exactly the same clock?  If so, perhaps I could run two NJB3's synced up.  Right now I'm using an Edirol UA5 + NJB3 and it is so easy to use.  It would be great if I could get a second ADC to run off the SPDIF output of the UA5.  Is this even possible?  If so, I could run SBD into line in into the second ADC.

At this point I'm almost ready to go back to 2-track...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Suggestions for 4-track recording?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:13:10 AM »
Maybe try another portable mixer instead of the Firepod?  The mackie stuff or the MOTU units are supposed to work really well.  Otherwise you can get a Mixpre and just mix the 4 tracks down to 2 tracks and record it like that.  Supposedly running 2 different recorders will result is SLIGHTLY different final run times so you'll need to stretch one of the files to match the other and then mix it down.  Might wanna ask Ray what he's using to do his 4-track stuff, but the R4 would be the easiest and most compact solution.  Just sell the laptop and Firepod and get the R4...or pony up for a 744. :P
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »
gotta say using the R4 is so easy ..

just select 2 stereo files and press REC

Fast transfers

really a killer box

?>FR2LE

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »
If your ADs dont have Word clock I/Os (BNC) - nothing you can really do to sync them...

AC power - unless you really need a DC powered rig - stick to AC - you will have more choices.

If you are working the same rooms and bands - mix it live - you'll mess up a few - but eventually develop a good formula...

Plus you save a lot in Post production time...

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 02:43:07 PM »
I get great results using my Wendt x4 (mixer)and recorder, Richard. It is 4 Channels mixed down to 2.
Not much to carry. there are a lot of ENG mixers that are DC powered. Most of the time I do 4 mics(two omnis and two cards) but sometimes I do AUD + SBD.

ENG mixers are made to be HQ and rugged, so it is a good option.

I also used to carry two jb3s around(one for board, one for aud) and mix in post. It isnt that hard to do in post once you get the hang of it.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »
Ditto the R-4 Reccomendation.  No drivers, no nothing, just hook it up and copy the .wav files. Recording is just as simple as hiting record.  My only complaint is I think I will always want to run 4 channels and at 24/96 that gets to be a lot of data, but boy do I like how it sounds......

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com