Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00by seeking a mic/pre recommendation  (Read 1489 times)

Offline jhebert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
n00by seeking a mic/pre recommendation
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:59 AM »
Hi!

I'm looking looking for a recording solution for a gospel quartet (both rehearsals and performances). I ran through the FAQs and figured I'd list out my replies to the "basic questions" in the hope that they will provide you with enough information to help me narrow my choices down.

• The group performs both acapella (a lower SPL situation) and to background-track music (a higher SPL situation). The recorder is an iRiver iHP-120 running RockBox software, so I can record wav format straight for about 2 hours at a time. Been using this for 6 months now, but we'd like to get more out of it than the built-in mic has given us.

• The solution does not need to be stealthy.

• The budget is $100-200 US. I'd really like to stay low, but from my preliminary look-around I don't know that I can. However, $200 is a fixed limit for me, unless I wait a few more months.

• I see three possible directions to take. I guess my biggest question here is, which of these three routes offers the best quality, while still handling the versatility of recording I think I need? My preference is for a single-device solution (i.e., one piece of gear to connect to my iRiver iHP-120 input) to minimize the number of connections, and make for easy portability and use.

I understand that it's kind of a juggling act with some compromises. I need to balance good sound quality (in a controlled situation, i.e., since it's non-stealthy, it's easy to control placement) with enough power to the mic, with enough signal to the recorder. My concern is that I may pick the wrong option, discover that it's not "everything I needed," and have to spend additional money to achieve my goal, ultimately ending up with several pieces of gear at a higher cost than my initial desires. *I hate disappointment* ;-)  so I feel kind of stuck at the moment.

option 1) Stereo mics only (into mic input)
The iRiver input can be switched between a 2.5V gain Mic input and a standard Line input. Is there a set of stereo mics that perform acceptably on this level of power that will provide good quality sound for both low and high SPL recording like this? 

option 2) Stereo mics+Battery Box (into mic input)
If "I need more power," would a mic + a battery box be "all I need?" Is there solution under $200 to be found there...?

option 3) Stereo mics+Battery Box+Preamp (into line input)
A high quality, high fidelity setup will easily overrun my budget. A couple of all-in-one solutions look like an appealing compromise, like the Microphone Madness MM-PSMS-1 (http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmpreamsterm.htm) and the Sound Professionals SP-PASM-2 (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PASM-2). I *think* they'll handle the acapella as well as amplified tracks since they have gain/level adjustments, but my unfamiliarity and inexperience make me unsure.

I'd appreciate your further questions, and your recommendations if you feel there are good options you would suggest. After a while, you get a bit overwhelmed with the number of opinions and results people offer, and you're left somewhat dazed and confused (I feel a song coming on...)

Thank you!

James
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:23:07 PM by jhebert »

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: n00by seeking a mic/pre recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »
my advice: check out the Yard Sale for a good price on some used gear. there definitely isn't a ton in that price range so it shouldn't be too time consuming or difficult to narrow down your options. good luck!
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: n00by seeking a mic/pre recommendation
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:29:09 PM »
the SP-PASM-2 will serve you well. I owned one and used it for that very purpose. It is your best bet, IMHO, until you get some more money to play with.

make sure you get the Low Sensitivity version. I doubt youll find anything else that will fit your needs as well in that price range. I know a couple opera Singers that use it and like it a lot.

When you say Gospel..Southern Gospel???Like Gaither Vocal Band or Acapella??Or more like Take 6??Good to have you around.

Gospel music is very near and dear to my heart, as I grew up in the Church, and was in a gospel quartet for many many years. Good for you.  :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:32:22 PM by Teddy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com