Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ICEpower amps  (Read 3485 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
ICEpower amps
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:54 AM »
Been looking to start auditioning amps (pretty set on AVM30 or40 for processor) and noticed Bel Canto just came out with a new line.  Anyone heard these new ICEpower units?  I heard the old bel canto eVo 6 and it was nice.  Have not heard any newer units.

sc

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: ICEpower amps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
I have, and the Bel Canto is horrendously overpriced.  I did some digging on icepower amps, and using the jedi mind trick was able to get the wholesale price from the manufacturer on the power supplys and units themselves to see what they cost.  If 400 bucks in parts is a good deal at 4 grand, well then you may be impressed.  Now, that said, I like the sound of them.  Very detailed, open clear, etc.  There are a number of manufacturers using the icepower modules, and the prices vary drastically.  I don't remember off the top of my head who the cheapest one is, but you can search the asylum and figure it out quite easily.

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
The REF1000 is $2100 for a monoblock, but the S300 ($1600) and M300 ($1200) are a little cheaper.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:35 PM »
Ever notice every Von SChweikert dealer also carries Spectron.... they use Spectron's during the design process.  A little amp that doesn't weigh much and runs cool, I'll be looking more into them. 

Offline brn2rn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/

A Danish company that uses ice-power in their amplifiers.
If you read danish and swedish audioforums they get rave reviews almost all the time when it comes to bang for the buck.

The company also has an intersting firewire preamp and cables and  and and, well thet seem to do a lot!

My thought on upgrading, or rather getting rid of bulky equipment would be to get a good PC to play files -> Grace m902 -> eAR 1001 monoamps.
Very spacesaving indeed.

And, yes they do ship worldwide.

Grretings,
Thomas

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:37:22 PM »
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/

A Danish company that uses ice-power in their amplifiers.
If you read danish and swedish audioforums they get rave reviews almost all the time when it comes to bang for the buck.

The company also has an intersting firewire preamp and cables and  and and, well thet seem to do a lot!

My thought on upgrading, or rather getting rid of bulky equipment would be to get a good PC to play files -> Grace m902 -> eAR 1001 monoamps.
Very spacesaving indeed.

And, yes they do ship worldwide.

Grretings,
Thomas

I've heard nothing but bad things about the guy running the place.  I did take a look at the site just now and noticed the prices.  They are damn good for the same module used in Rowland 21 and 501's!  I'll keep looking, but might have to jump on those.  Need to make sure I could use the rest of the planned system.

sc

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
Are you handy at all Scott?  I know where you can get the modules themselves.  I went looking today and found a place.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:15:57 PM »
I sure can be!  If the price is right.... PM me the info

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »
fwiw..
I found some prototype ICEpower mono blocks today that I decided to take a chance with.  they were relatively short money...sounded as though they were put together well and using premium parts.  250w !  BOOM..that should give my VRs some life.
:-)

discribed as :
Prototype Ice Power stereo amp using the 250 watt a channel (8 ohms) Ice Power modules with built-in switching power supply. These are the same modules used in the Rowland $4700 a pair mono blocks (two 500 ASP modules, power is 500 watts a channel into 4 ohms.) The input impedance is 8K and the gain is 27db. The amp is wired with Jena Labs wire on the input and output, has gold plated Cardas input jacks and the output wires are run through a hole in the chassis and wrapped around the outside of the binding posts (effectively giving a wire to spake /bare wire connection and eliminating the sound of the output jacks). The chassis is new but quite simple, not classy, black anodized with small handles on the front. Amp has both RCA and balanced inputs. Amp was produced by Ric Schultz, Electronic Visionary Systems

so...we'll see.
I hope they sound good. 
This will move my system from straight Sony 3000ES as "everything", to:
Toshiba SD9200 DVD-A/V and Redbook (analog output) >
Symphonies + tube preamp >
these ICE blocks baby.
Stralley ICs and speaker wire (still, and forever likely) >
VR4

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
I will be curious to hear your review of these amps.  I'm waiting for DIYcable to sell the new UCD based kits.  Exchanging emails with Kevin the past few days.  There is a class D amp shootout scheduled for the next couple weekends and I'll be curious to hear what folks have to say.  I've heard the Bel Canto class D amps and thought they were very good sounding, based on this and the fact I've seen some folks with high dollar systems embrace this newer technology that I may try it myself.  Building the kit would give me something to do on these lazy weekends too!  ;D

Hopefully they sound great, but I see EVS is now moving forward with the UCD module.

sc

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »
i'll bounce around between all the various gear and see whats what and report back.
I think i'll be happy.  the Symph+ is pretty sweet, and w/the power of 250w mono's behind it...i should be happy.

BobW

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 10:23:18 PM »
i'll bounce around between all the various gear and see whats what and report back.
I think i'll be happy.  the Symph+ is pretty sweet, and w/the power of 250w mono's behind it...i should be happy.

+T for moving away from evil empire Sony 
use the force, Nick, use the force.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com