Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the difference between SP-CMC-4 and SP-CMC-8 and at831s?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline RedRocketSr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'd rather be lucky than good.
What's the difference between SP-CMC-4 and SP-CMC-8 and at831s?
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:23:56 AM »
Thanks.. i'm just getting into taping. I found and bought a JB3 with 2 batteries and a bunch of other extras for $140 and now I need some decent mics. I was told 831s were very good for the kind of taping (mostly acoustic) that I want to do.

Appreciate the help.

Brett
SP-CMC2 --> SP-SPSB1 --> JB3

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: What's the difference between SP-CMC-4 and SP-CMC-8 and at831s?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:32:09 AM »
I was told 831s were very good for the kind of taping (mostly acoustic) that I want to do.

Appreciate the help.

Brett

-Amplified or unamplified? (if its unamplified you need to be looking at other mics, otherwise AT831s work acceptably well for acoustic).

You might want to look at omni mics unless the audience are very noisy at these events.

Dont forget a battery box.

Budget?

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »
ah, i'm not sure about the amplified or not. I hadn't heard that element before. And a knew I had to get a battery box. I plan on spending about $150-$200 (I hope).

So how do I decide if I want amplified or not?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:18:33 PM »
I think he was asking if the music was amplified or not.

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 02:33:30 PM »
ah, i'm not sure about the amplified or not. I hadn't heard that element before. And a knew I had to get a battery box. I plan on spending about $150-$200 (I hope).

So how do I decide if I want amplified or not?

I use the SP-CMC-2 (AT831's) with a battery box (w/bass roll-off that I have never needed to use) and I have recorded a few acoustic sets with no problems...in fact..I have recorded some sweet 'unamplified' 3 piece jug band music in an open air enviroment and they are some of my better recordings. I did add a little gain in post using Audacity...but other then that I have had great success with these mics and the JB3.
If you can spend a little more...there is a set of SP-CMC-4's (AT853) for sale in the Yard Sale section: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58958.0 ....although I have heard that the bass response on these aren't as clean as the 831's. For the price and quality the 831's can't be beat.

Good luck and use this board to gain your taping wisdom...it's a great community and very helpful!

- Shawn
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 05:18:34 PM »
ShawnSmith, yes, I did mean the music being amplified. I had read that AT831s didn't work terribly well with unamplified music, though never tried it. TheWildKindness just turned that round.

I've run several A:B comparisons between AT853 and AT831s over the last month or so, and the AT853s are just hands down better mics. Bottom end is fuller and the overall sound more rounded. I still love the sound of both, and have not put the AT831s to one side yet.

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:59:38 PM »
Thanks for the mic advice - the SP-CMC-2's seem to be best for my needs - any recommendations on a battery box w/bass roll off? brand, avg $, etc. and a place to buy one?

it's a great community and very helpful!
i agree and appreciate it very much

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:04:51 PM by RedRocketSr »

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:12:39 PM »
Thanks for the mic advice - the SP-CMC-2's seem to be best for my needs - any recommendations on a battery box w/bass roll off? brand, avg $, etc. and a place to buy one?

I would just go with the SP-SPSB-1 ( http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1) from Sound Professionals since you are getting the mics from them. If you are using the mics mainly for acoustic stuff and nothing bass heavy...I wouldn't worry about spending the $20 for the bass roll-off (the AT831's have excellent bass response and even when the music is bassy...it doesn't normally show in the recordings..in my experience atleast)... I guess it's nice to have just incase though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:15:09 PM by TheWildKindness »
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 10:59:17 PM »

I would just go with the SP-SPSB-1 ( http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1) from Sound Professionals since you are getting the mics from them. If you are using the mics mainly for acoustic stuff and nothing bass heavy...I wouldn't worry about spending the $20 for the bass roll-off (the AT831's have excellent bass response and even when the music is bassy...it doesn't normally show in the recordings..in my experience atleast)... I guess it's nice to have just incase though.
get the bass r/o,its well worth the little bit of extra money.its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 11:01:10 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »
thanks everyone... i bought the at831 (SP-CMC-2) and the battery box (SP-SPSB-1) with roll off. So now I'll have to start playing when I get them. thanks again.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 12:11:29 AM »
I am considering buying the AT831s as my first taping mics (have junky home recording mics now).  Would these take the 853 caps if I wanted to switch to hypers or subcards?  Also, is there an omni cap available too?  Thanks you all.  This place has been a great resource to me.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 12:50:58 AM »
I am considering buying the AT831s as my first taping mics (have junky home recording mics now).  Would these take the 853 caps if I wanted to switch to hypers or subcards?  Also, is there an omni cap available too?  Thanks you all.  This place has been a great resource to me.

Yes!  AT831 bodies do take AT853 caps.  This is not widely known here, but they do work.  It is an open question how well the work, but they sound fine to me.  A minor point is that they fit funny - the cap is a bit wider on the outside than the body.  But they do work.

My advice however, is to just go with AT853 and skip the AT831 altogether.  The AT853 sound signifcantly better, and if you know you want them, why waste time buying the AT831 bodies and caps?  The difference in price is not that large.

But, to anyone else out there, if you've already got AT831's, by all means consider trying the '853 caps as an upgrade.

Richard

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 06:48:39 AM »

But, to anyone else out there, if you've already got AT831's, by all means consider trying the '853 caps as an upgrade.

Richard

You know, I've tried (gently) removing the caps on the AT831s, but they look like they are stuck fast. Don't really want to mess with them too much. Plus sticking 853 caps on there would almost certainly overload them at the rock gigs I go to. Might be an option for acoustic though.

The 3 wire battery box I run with the AT933s (853 caps) does not overload at all, even stack taping.

Humbug

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 09:36:22 AM »

Yes!  AT831 bodies do take AT853 caps.  This is not widely known here, but they do work.  It is an open question how well the work, but they sound fine to me.  A minor point is that they fit funny - the cap is a bit wider on the outside than the body.  But they do work.

My advice however, is to just go with AT853 and skip the AT831 altogether.  The AT853 sound signifcantly better, and if you know you want them, why waste time buying the AT831 bodies and caps?  The difference in price is not that large.

Richard

That's pretty much the answer I was looking for, and had sort of decided on my own.  Thanks for the affirmation.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 08:33:55 PM »
I happily used AT831's for (totally unamplified) recordings of opera until I upgraded to CMC8's.  The 831's were just fine with acoustic music.
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com