Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Updating my rig (formerly 'Unscramble')  (Read 1497 times)

Offline dolzani

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Updating my rig (formerly 'Unscramble')
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:10:42 PM »
Sorry for the strange subject. I didn't know what else to call this.

I just found this site from the Terrapin boards. What a great resource. Thanks! I've been reading and reading.

I'm thinking about updating my recording rig. I'm an artist who likes to tape his own shows. Don't need too fancy or too bulky. But of course sound quality is important.

In the past I've used my Tascam DA-P1 with a pair of dynamic mics on a stand. It's been excellent. Fine for my purposes. But it's a bit bulky and the real-time transfer is so 20th century. Then I got a Sony MD, R700 I've been using with a tiny stereo 1/8" mic. That's been fine too but I've been using the compression to squeeze more out of the tapes. I could use it at no compression but then I have to switch tapes, for longer gigs. So far I haven't used any front end.

Currently I have a laptop with Garageband and set that on a table last week to record a listening-room solo gig using just the laptop mic. It actually came out ok. Again, I'm really only looking for a good representation of the night and a recording to pass along to friends/fans and don't want to get too technical. My focus is on playing the show...but my shows are getting better and I'd like to put them on the archive. (.org).

So I'm at a crossroads as to what to do:

a) Bring the laptop to gigs and get a front end (fine for some gigs, not so fine for others: rowdy bar, etc)
b) Use the MD and get a front end.
c) Use the dat and deal with real time transfer
d) Get a used JB3 and get a front end

Something like the MT 24/96 seems cool but I don't want to spend $400.

Seems like #4 would be the most costly. I don't know if I need the JB3 even though they seem great. I just wonder if I can get away with something I already have and just get a good front end (which I'd need along with a JB3 anyway).

One final question: Do the Denecke AD20 and Edirol UA-25 (or 5) fill the same purpose? Are either of those a better match for what I have?

So any suggestions would be great as my head hurts from all this.

:P

thanks a lot

brian dolzani
singer/songwriter
http://www.briandolzani.com
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:36:36 AM by dolzani »

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: Unscrambling my head...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
I cannot answer your question about the ad-20 and ua-25, but I can HIGHLY recommend a stock digi-mod ua-5 > jb3 combo. if you do not know what the digi mod is, please search these boards, there is plenty of info here. you can get both for less than $400, I've used the combo (still do, except my ua-5 is a t-mod+ now). it is so simple, it will fit in a camera bag or small backpack, and it sounds good.

edit: I saw these in the yard sale:

ua-5
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58427.0

jb3
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59401.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59316.0
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:49:29 PM by Chanher »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:08:37 AM »
If you're going to go with a UA5, then save the money and just stick with the laptop, since you ultimately want to track it and save the files later for archiving. I would reccomend recording with Audacity, it's freeware, and gives you many recording options. I've been using a UA5 with my PC laptop without a problem from the last several months. Though you are on Apple, the UA5 and Audacity option should work well for you. Plus, it will let you do simple Matrixes, with two microphones set up on the stage to capture the sound of the room, and an RCA input on the back that you can feed from the tape outs on your board. I've been getting excellent results with that kind of setup.

If you look around Archive.org for the band I work with, Stellar Road, you will find dozens of examples of full band and also acoustic shows recorded with the UA5, two onstage mics and a soundboard feed matrix.

Offline dolzani

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:09:31 AM »
thanks you two, I will check out your advice.

As far as software, I do like Peak LE (trial version), and I just got a trial of Sound Studio 3 which I like a lot too. You can 'split by markers' which exports your show into songs very easily, after you've marked them.

bd
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:22:51 AM by dolzani »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com