Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone heard of the Clara for HRTF?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline cpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
Anyone heard of the Clara for HRTF?
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »
I ran across this recently and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it:

What you're looking at is two omni mics mounted in a plexiglass form called the "Clara", invented by a German scientist by the name of J. Hinrich Peters.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline gforcewarning

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Anyone heard of the Clara for HRTF?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:54:14 PM »
weird. . . seems a little bit like omnis on a dummy head, but different shape and i imagine the plexiglass is much more reflective than the material on a dummy head.  I'd like to hear what it sounds like  ;D 

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:57 PM »
loos like DIN or NOS on a dummy head.  can't pick out the mics, vintage KM84s? or whatever the equivelent is w/ omni caps

neat pic +T
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:37:49 PM »
Thanks...here's another one:

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:07:28 AM »
It is very handsome, but knowing about the very well about HRTF acoustics, it will NEVER record like you hear it live at the mic position.  Will always sound different in every new situation it is placed.  Give lots of problems for those looking for consistency in a stereo mic.  Just another anomaly in stereo microphone design that will not record anything close to virtual reality, something that true HRTF baffled omni mics do consistently and effortlessly.  However, it will turn peoples heads as it is really differrent looking and makes for great photos.

For sample recordings done with real HRTF baffled mics look to: www.sonicstudos.com/mp3.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »
It is very handsome, but knowing about the very well about HRTF acoustics, it will NEVER record like you hear it live at the mic position.  Will always sound different in every new situation it is placed.  Give lots of problems for those looking for consistency in a stereo mic.  Just another anomaly in stereo microphone design that will not record anything close to virtual reality, something that true HRTF baffled omni mics do consistently and effortlessly.  However, it will turn peoples heads as it is really differrent looking and makes for great photos.

For sample recordings done with real HRTF baffled mics look to: www.sonicstudos.com/mp3.htm

So have you used one of these or are you just bashing it to fluff your own stuff?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »

Thanks for the commercial. It's always nice to read a hypothetical review as well. -T

Craig
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:20:59 AM by cpatch »

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »
It is not a good business model to bash others ideas while lifting up your own. A good product will speak for itself.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:06:55 AM »
I'm not going with hypothetical, but,... this thing reveals alot of mic on the opposite side of where this pic was taken from. It doesn't seem to baffle all that well.
It looks like the B&K omni's do better than the straight body mics, though!

I'm in touch with the guy who took the first two photos, a studio owner in Germany. I'll see if I can get links to sample recordings from him.

Craig

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 02:07:11 PM »
It is not a good business model to bash others ideas while lifting up your own. A good product will speak for itself.

This is not about bashing products, just acoustic knowledge of HRTF and 19+ years of working out the details on accurate HRTF baffle design.  This is NOT 'rocket science.'  It is about replicating 'water-based' flesh acoustic response.  Something NOBODY seems to get (other than myself) when designing 'HRTF' baffles.   

While not trying out these other baffles, I know what will work and what is not going to work by looking at the design from photos, and knowing what materials are being used.

Yes, it's sort of lonely knowing and designing for accurate acoustic microphone for stereo-surround mics, and with lots of critics that have difficulty grasping the reality of baffling omni's.   Only your own ears and perception, and trying these (badly) conceived 'baffles' in different situations for consistency. 

Only then can most people know for sure what works and what is good looking fluff.   

So give my examples a good listen on stereo, surround speakers, and on headphones.  The tell me how this compares to everything else out there used for mic baffling.  www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

There really is no comparison in my experience to everything else being used for this purpose, but of course I am an inventor, acoustic/electronics engineer, designer, taper, and business owner, so what do I know that's not going to be labeled bashing and marketing hype? 

Please, don't take my word for anything, just consider what I've said, and try to 'honestly' prove me right or wrong with some real experiences with these different approaches to stereo-surround mic/methods. 

I've put hundreds of DSM HRTF baffled recordings for world-wide view up for free, look for these other mic makers to do the same with a multitude of different ambient recording situations.   Even a Radio Shack mic can be made to sound awesome under very narrow special circumstances.  So a few good sounding recordings means little about how good a mic design or use method is working.

ONLY by using a mic in many, many different real-world ambient situations for small to very large staged amplified and pure acoustic sources will show if there's any real consistency to a given mic and method of using that mic.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 02:39:17 PM »
I'm not affil in any way but I'd just like to vouge for Guysonics products.  I've been running a few pairs of DSMs HRTF in stealth situations for several years along with the PA-3SX pre.  I've been extreamly happy with the build quality and results of my recordings.

He has also been very knowledgable and quick/hqppy to respond to any questions I have had.

T+ for past great experiences.

EDIT: You can find may of my recordings with his EQ on the archvie and through dimeadozen if you would like to check out the recordings in numerous different environments.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 02:44:01 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:13:36 PM »
This is not about bashing products, just acoustic knowledge of HRTF and 19+ years of working out the details on accurate HRTF baffle design.  This is NOT 'rocket science.'  It is about replicating 'water-based' flesh acoustic response.  Something NOBODY seems to get (other than myself) when designing 'HRTF' baffles.

Unfortunately for you (and myself, being an engineer), audio is subjective. Best design does not always equal most pleasing sound output.

While not trying out these other baffles, I know what will work and what is not going to work by looking at the design from photos, and knowing what materials are being used.

While I might not have the experience you do in this particular field, in my chosen field, I hope I never sink to that level of complacency. If there's a market for that product, it must be that someone out there likes the results. Obviously mic selection plays a role as well.

So give my examples a good listen on stereo, surround speakers, and on headphones.  The tell me how this compares to everything else out there used for mic baffling.  www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

Thank you for sharing those selections. I listened to a couple of them - some ambient, some from a PA. I'd say the work some of our members have done with Jecklin Discs compares favorably. Of course, it's difficult to compare without any control. As an aside, and this is isn't mean to be mean, your web site needs some work. It was very difficult to navigate and there is way too much information on each page, even your home page!

Please, don't take my word for anything, just consider what I've said, and try to 'honestly' prove me right or wrong with some real experiences with these different approaches to stereo-surround mic/methods. 

As I alluded before, there really isn't a right and wrong when it comes to audio. Even less so in high-end recording.

Still, your approach comes off as snooty and as a retailer, I do not think that is your intent. I have not heard any recordings done with the Clara. You don't seem to claim that either, basing your opinion on design and materials. I'd be more apt to respect your opinion if I knew you had actually listened or recorded with it.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 11:12:47 PM »
For one thing, I am NOT a retailer, only wholesale of manufactured by Sonic Studios products, nothing else.  Sonic Studios products offered are not purchased as-is wholesale and retailed, that is being a retailer which is NOT my business. 

Another thing, most seem to MISS the point of my comments. 

HRTF is a VIRTUAL REALITY form of recording in its purist form.  It either does this consistently, or it does not. 

There IS a right way, and a wrong way to do this.  The right way works consistently EVERY TIME  regardless.  If the mic and method is working as it should, it will always record stereo-surround reality that's identical to the live sound in sound qualities including feeling and emotion experienced during the live event.  These are aspects in DSM recordings that most tapers find almost impossible to achieve using coventional mics and techniques. 

What most of the tapers are doing is EFFECTS recording of live events, NOT even thinking of recreating the virtual reality sensations of actually being there.  Maybe this is because they don't care to hear it the way it was in reality, or have given up on this being a possibility altogether.  Or maybe they like to experiement with how different they can make the live event sound.

Do it the WRONG way, and you have less than reality and an effects recording, which Jecklin and Clara do in spades, do it with something designed correctly like my LiteGUY HRTF, you will ALWAYS get accurate stereo-surround reality.  The sample recordings on my site are just a small sample of what has been done with DSM mic systems. 

Some of you may have enjoyed the sounds in LOR series done by sound designer David Farmer.  Guess who uses DSM mics to record those immersive ambients and effects sounds used in these films? David Farmer has several DSM mic sets purchased at the start of LOR project and knows how and why he uses them every chance he gets. 

It is just that simple.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 11:37:24 PM »
For one thing, I am NOT a retailer, only wholesale of manufactured by Sonic Studios products, nothing else.  Sonic Studios products offered are not purchased as-is wholesale and retailed, that is being a retailer which is NOT my business. 

I don't get it.  Aren't you selling them on your webpage???

Anyway, as I've said in earlier posts, I'd be a lot happier if:
1) your webpage cleaned up,  (maybe you've done this already, I haven't visited recently)
2) you disclosed the elements and/or technologies used in your mics/ preamps.

I am probably speaking for others too in saying, I am willing to spend money for good gear, but I like to know what is inside and what technical innovation/engineering went into it.  I don't just want to buy something because you or someone else says it is good.  Endorsements are great, but I also want to see technical details.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 12:56:38 AM »

I don't get it.  Aren't you selling them on your webpage???

Anyway, as I've said in earlier posts, I'd be a lot happier if:
1) your webpage cleaned up,  (maybe you've done this already, I haven't visited recently)
2) you disclosed the elements and/or technologies used in your mics/ preamps.

I am probably speaking for others too in saying, I am willing to spend money for good gear, but I like to know what is inside and what technical innovation/engineering went into it.  I don't just want to buy something because you or someone else says it is good.  Endorsements are great, but I also want to see technical details.

Richard

There are clear technical specifications on most mic and preamplifier products, but let me know what is missing that should be added to products of interest.

For the most part, most the issues about the site design, or lack of, and detailed product technical disclosure suitable for DIY interests is discussed at length in a previous post found at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dc5cb19c3eae03a2a98a47d2a8b6b290;topic=40095.msg764565#msg764565

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com