Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Signal source for VU meter calibration  (Read 1673 times)

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
Signal source for VU meter calibration
« on: April 08, 2006, 12:49:54 AM »
Okay, got a Beachtek SVU-1 so I can set more precise levels with my UA5 and JB3. Now I want to calibrate the SVU-1 to the JB3.

So I'm thinking I need a steady-state signal source to run through my rig so I can match the 0 db level on the SVU-1 to the JB3. Seems like this should be ... what, is it pink noise? or white noise? Whichever it is, where would I get such a source?

Seems like music would be a bad test program, because it fluctuates too much in level.

Or am I wrong about all of this, and there's a better way to do it?

Thanks for any advice.
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

CHURCH-AUDIO

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Signal source for VU meter calibration
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:15:31 AM »
Use a 1k sinewave and then use a volt meter. to measure the output with the ac meter in milivolts, use this calculator I am sure the impedence of the JB3 is 10k check this link out its a pretty easy converter. http://my.athenet.net/~multiplx/cgi-bin/dbconv.main.cgi

Chris Church

Okay, got a Beachtek SVU-1 so I can set more precise levels with my UA5 and JB3. Now I want to calibrate the SVU-1 to the JB3.

So I'm thinking I need a steady-state signal source to run through my rig so I can match the 0 db level on the SVU-1 to the JB3. Seems like this should be ... what, is it pink noise? or white noise? Whichever it is, where would I get such a source?

Seems like music would be a bad test program, because it fluctuates too much in level.

Or am I wrong about all of this, and there's a better way to do it?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 01:33:29 AM »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:59:30 AM »
Use attached audio, crank on stereo, leave JB3 at 0db, run SVU out of JB3 (not UA5), turn gain up on UA5 until you see the JB3 meters clipping and you can hear the distortion in your headphones, then turn it back just a hair on the UA5 until not clipping and no distorition, then fine tune the SVU meters so they are just under red when not clipping, and just dip into red when clipping. Hope that helps.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com