Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker 24/96 10db Mic Input Pad  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtracker 24/96 10db Mic Input Pad
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 11:21:32 AM »
I use a MixPre so I would like to get the signal out of the xlr through the hosa mit176 transformers into my R-1 through the pad. The MixPre tends to be a little hot and the 1/8 out don't sound as "nice" as the xlrs

I wonder if I use two inline...will it give me a 20db pad????

Curious:  why two external gain stages, i.e. why both the MixPre and MIT-176 line transformers?  Have you tried dropping the MIT-176 from the chain?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »
The MixPre's  xlr outputs sound better than the 1/8 output.Although a bit bulkier it sounds a bit "brighter"...The 1/8 out of the MixPre is posted as "for consumer devices" in their manual....The R-01 only has a 1/8 input so I have to convert the xlr's somehow and I saw it on Oade's site that he recomended using the Hosa transformers to convert the xlr outs of the Denecke PS2 to go into a R-01 so I figured it would work. And sometimes I use a a SP PREAMP (little bugger with adjustable gain 0/23/50db and level)  for stealth gigs and if things are too loud I just dont want to brickwall...I ordered the 10db pad just as an option to keep in my little bag of tricks for when I need it. Plus I have 1/8 plugs on my AT853 and I could put one on each of my leads when I phantom power them...The two pads in series was more of a joke bet, hey ya never know....

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 03:57:42 PM »
So I borrowed one of these last night.  Total garbage.  For starters, the plug does not stay seated securely into the MT.  It goes into the 1/8 inch input well enough, but any minor bump of the pad causes it to pop out halfway, almost as if it was spring loaded.

Secondly, I could not get it to pass signal from both AT853 mics, only the left channel.  I pulled the pad and plugged the mics in directly and everything worked fine, so it must be the pad causing the problems.

I'm not sure if it is the way the thing is designed or if it is because the pad doesn't sit securely, but either way, it wasn't working.

Thanks for nothing, M-Audio.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 04:08:51 PM »
The pop-out and single channel behaviors you describe mostly confirm that it doesn't insert far enough to engage both channels.  You could confirm with the T-mike..

cmoorevt

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 05:34:41 PM »
hhmmm just tested and the T-mic works perfect.  I get levels for both channels and it doesn't pop out.  In comparing the plug of the T-mic with the plug of the pad, they are slightly different.

Essentially the portion of the pad where the male plug actually connects to the pad itself is slightly convex. Whereas on the T-mic the same area is flat, allowing it to insert in the 1/8 inch input fully and correctly.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 05:36:49 PM by cmoorevt »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »
So I borrowed one of these last night.  Total garbage.  For starters, the plug does not stay seated securely into the MT.  It goes into the 1/8 inch input well enough, but any minor bump of the pad causes it to pop out halfway, almost as if it was spring loaded.

Secondly, I could not get it to pass signal from both AT853 mics, only the left channel.  I pulled the pad and plugged the mics in directly and everything worked fine, so it must be the pad causing the problems.

I'm not sure if it is the way the thing is designed or if it is because the pad doesn't sit securely, but either way, it wasn't working.

Thanks for nothing, M-Audio.

I have tested it with my AT 853's as well as the T-Mic and had perfect results with both. It seats fimly and securely. Kind of snaps into place. I really like the way it raises the t-mic which makes it really nice for real stealth pocket recording.

Maybe you have a bad input jack or the 853 input jacks may be a bit worn. I have to say it is nice and solid and well designed. It might be worth asking for a replacement.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 07:20:53 PM »
Mine fits nice and snug also...it kinda like snaps in two times and is flush and tight.

cmoorevt

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »
Mine fits nice and snug also...it kinda like snaps in two times and is flush and tight.

Mine does the same thing, but won't stay in there.  Not sure what is happening, but I'll ask for a replacement. +T to you both for having good luck with it.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 06:17:08 PM »
Hi,
  I've been having trouble with my pad also..  :crying:...It does seem to "snap" in all the way but if you touch it, one of the channels will drop out...I've been testing it with my R-01..If you leave it alone sitting on the table and get it in the correct position it seems to work ok..But as soon as you move it a channel gets messed up.There seems to be a connection problem somewhere......Has anyone contacted M-Audio yet ?......I'm going to send them an email and will post the reply..

Peace,
jk

UPDATE:
OK...Well I sent them an email and they responded...(back and forth took, about a week).I explained the situation and the rep said to mail it to them and they will send me a new one....Good customers service..I'll update again when the new one arrives and testing begins..
Peace,
jk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:01:53 PM by joekar »
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com