Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker 24/96 10db Mic Input Pad  (Read 6435 times)

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
Microtracker 24/96 10db Mic Input Pad
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:01 AM »
Thanks to tonyvt for the heads up on this one.  10db pad for MT mic input.

Their words:  "The MicroTrack 10dB Pad is a specially designed attenuator for the 1/8” microphone input on the MicroTrack 24/96—or any device with similar output impedance and phantom power characteristics. It reduces the output of a connected electret condenser microphone by approximately 10dB, which protects the input stage of the MicroTrack 24/96 from becoming overloaded and distorting when recording high-SPL sources. The in-line pad attenuates the audio signal from the mic while passing unaltered the 5V supply needed to power the internal preamp of electret condenser microphones."

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack10dBPad-main.html

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Microtracker 24/96 10db Mic Input Pad
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »
Now I'm a fan of the MT (despite worries about  :flaming: ) but this is taking the piss. Maybe they shouldn't have engineered it to automatically give 10db gain via the 1/8" !
Now they've finally worked out this is a problem for users this should be sent free, or better yet actually recall the MT's check the batteries and reduce the gain in the hardware.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »
Now I'm a fan of the MT (despite worries about  :flaming: ) but this is taking the piss. Maybe they shouldn't have engineered it to automatically give 10db gain via the 1/8" !
Now they've finally worked out this is a problem for users this should be sent free, or better yet actually recall the MT's check the batteries and reduce the gain in the hardware.
If so: complain to them!
Make a bug report.
Say that the release of the pad is an obvious sign that this is a bug.
Contact M-Audio support and speak out politely.

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
I'm ready for the 1/4" line input pad. It's more or less the same issue.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »
if they are going to recall the microcrapper, it bettter be for alot better reason than to reverse a 10db pad..  I'm sure you guys can agree.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »
So how does a pad that does not impact the 5v typically work?

Has anyone found any pad schematics for the mt that are decently impedance matched to the device - whether 1/8" input or 1/4" (I don't recall if the impedance is different).

Offline ScottO

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
FYI - I tried to buy this directly from M-Audio today and get an error from their website; seems this may not be in stock yet?

"Material 9800-41795-00 does not exist in plant DDP1 / country US"

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
That pad looks like a bullet..  If I were in a desperate situation with only a microtrack and the pad, do you think....?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 07:33:23 AM »
cool.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
I'm ready for the 1/4" line input pad. It's more or less the same issue.

You may want to look at your set up, because the issue has only been with the 1/8" input, not the 1/4". As a result if I am not using S/PDIF, I try to go with the 1/4" input. I made a simple adapter to work with my AT 853's which are Sound Pro Modified to 1/8th. (I use an SP battery box too) I had major clipping issues with the 1/8", but none at all with 1/4" and this includes some very loud music.

I did however buy an attenuator for the 1/8" just to have, and it works great. My vision was to be able to use the 1/8" jack with the t-mic in super stealth situations for a no-hassle recording. I tried it at a Particle show and it worked great. The one issue I had was that the attenuator has a 4 or 5 inch wire, so the mic was now hanging down. The above item would be great for the t-mic situation, even though it costs a bit more.

I have to assume that the 1/8" impedence issue is either not an easy fix, or maybe this is how they want that jack to work.
Before I found out how well the 1/4" jack worked, I was very concerned about the issue. At that time I heard many write in to say that the impedance was perfect for their recording situations. That may play in, I do not know enough about the technical specifics to say.

With all the fixes that have gone on, I would assume if this was not difficult or if there was not more to this, it would have been done. That said, this item (or any attenuator) should solve the 1/8" problem for anyone who cannot or does not want to use the 1/4" imputs.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 05:45:57 AM »
I just ordered one for kicks....Since I sold my Micro :veryevil: Flamer  I'm going to try it with my R-1 and soon to arrive R-9...I figure it cant hurt.

Peace
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 08:50:37 AM »
You may want to look at your set up, because the issue has only been with the 1/8" input, not the 1/4".

I wish you were right but you are wrong.

The 1/4" input cannot accept a 0dB consumer level without clipping because it ALWAYS adds gain..  So it will also clip with some microphones on the 1/4".

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »
I just ordered one for kicks....Since I sold my Micro :veryevil: Flamer  I'm going to try it with my R-1 and soon to arrive R-9...I figure it cant hurt.

Peace
jk

Yeah - this is just the ticket for all those MD recorders with no pad on the mic input...!

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
I use a MixPre so I would like to get the signal out of the xlr through the hosa mit176 transformers into my R-1 through the pad. The MixPre tends to be a little hot and the 1/8 out don't sound as "nice" as the xlrs

I wonder if I use two inline...will it give me a 20db pad????

Peace
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:14:14 AM »
You may want to look at your set up, because the issue has only been with the 1/8" input, not the 1/4".

I wish you were right but you are wrong.

The 1/4" input cannot accept a 0dB consumer level without clipping because it ALWAYS adds gain..  So it will also clip with some microphones on the 1/4".

I had not heard this from anyone before. I have not had any problems with my AT 853's into 1/4" and I have not seen that problem posted before. My mistake.  :o But for sure there is a big difference between going into 1/8" or going 1/4", because I could not use the 1/8" without an attenuator, and I have no problems at all, plenty of heqdroom when i use the same mics into 1/4".

Hopefully you will find a good solution for your recordings! ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com