Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playing vinyl with lasers (LT-1LRC)  (Read 3598 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Playing vinyl with lasers (LT-1LRC)
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:21:54 PM »
http://www.elpj.com/about/index.html

Not mentioned in above link:

LT-1LRC: Plays 45's and LP's, US$14,999
LT-1XRC: Plays 45's, LP's & 78's, $16,999
LT-2XRC: Plays 45's, 78's & any size LP, $18,999

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Playing vinyl with lasers (LT-1LRC)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:50:26 PM »
I am not a vinyl guy myself, but I heard these laser record players are very sensitive to surface imperfections.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
I am not a vinyl guy myself, but I heard these laser record players are very sensitive to surface imperfections.

Laser Beam Position is Easily Adjusted
Occasionally, audio information read at the standard laser position is seriously damaged due to wear from a very big needle. In this instance, you can adjust the laser position up or down using a button on the LT's front panel in order to enjoy better sound quality (this is called the VSO system).

That being said, I'm not planning on dropping 15K on a "turntable" any time soon.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:37:43 PM »

Laser Beam Position is Easily Adjusted
Occasionally, audio information read at the standard laser position is seriously damaged due to wear from a very big needle. In this instance, you can adjust the laser position up or down using a button on the LT's front panel in order to enjoy better sound quality (this is called the VSO system).

That being said, I'm not planning on dropping 15K on a "turntable" any time soon.

dropping a few k on a table is worth it, im not sure my ears can hear 13k of difference.

i'll take vinyl over any digitally recorded media any day.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »
If I had 15k to spend I would spend it on a turntable in a heartbeat, don't think it would be on that one though.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »

Check this machine

http://www.laserturntable.com/about/index.html

It is worth of knowing it.  People started buying this player like crazy.
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 06:47:21 AM »
I wouldn't spend 15k on that one either   ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:05:59 AM »
When I was in AZ, I was at a local show and met another local taper.  Since it wasn't a 'serious' taping event....just local guys foolin' around on stage....we decided to swap mics between songs through each other's pre.  After the show he asks if I want to stop by his place, which is right down the road, to do some comps.  I didn't really know the guy so I was a little apprehensive at first but figured "what the hell....why not...get to know another taper in the area". 

ANYWAYS......he has one of those laser turntables at his place.  He also has a truly gorgeous Aries turntable as well.  Apparently he has pics of his gear online...check em out here:

http://www.hexadecimalx.com/thumbnails02.html

btw, the frames on the wall are LCD monitors....had no idea at first.  I was like, "Wow, he must really like black pictures."  :P

It is true about adjusting the laser needle on these.  Supposedly, if you find an area that is typically scratchy with a normal stylus, by moving the laser up or down you may be able to find a cleaner area in the groove and bypass the imperfections.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:09:34 AM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
Trivia backstory on the laser turntable from knowing their VP of marketing (Allen Evelyn) is it was originally designed by Finial Technology Corporation in Sunnyvale California around 1986.  The company built only 3-4 fully working units before the second round of funding ran out, then sold the technology (rather cheaply) to a company in Japan. 

Although the turntable worked in at least an 'OK manner' back then, noises from playing less than ideal dust-free clean groove surfaces did pose a significant problem that needed to be solved.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 02:54:15 AM »
Trivia backstory on the laser turntable from knowing their VP of marketing (Allen Evelyn) is it was originally designed by Finial Technology Corporation in Sunnyvale California around 1986.  The company built only 3-4 fully working units before the second round of funding ran out, then sold the technology (rather cheaply) to a company in Japan. 

Although the turntable worked in at least an 'OK manner' back then, noises from playing less than ideal dust-free clean groove surfaces did pose a significant problem that needed to be solved.

a twist of irony: I am posting from Sunnyvale, CA.  (queue zone theme)  Do you know if any of the prototypes are still here in town?

I doubt any remain from the original protorun.  Person that may know is Allen Evelyn who at last contact ~ 8 years ago was VP of marketing at Bose Corporation.  I do not have record of contact TEL or email for him.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

BobW

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 10:31:24 PM »
Stevie Wonder has two, perhaps he'll sell you one ?    :)

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 11:33:07 PM »
These have been around for 20 years or so. I remember when Final was showing them off and actually selling them. I believe they went into a short run production but had some initial problems. As mentioned the company was sold to a Japanese firm who has been trying to directly sell them through the back pages of Stereophile and the Absolute Sound for years. About two years ago Micheal Fremmer reviewed one and shortly there after TAS reveiwed one. I believe on a whole Mikey liked it but I think TAS panned it.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com