Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low Cost Stealthy Card/Sony ECM?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Low Cost Stealthy Card/Sony ECM?
« on: May 26, 2006, 01:48:05 PM »
I've got a low-profile gig tomorrow that my KM184's won't do for (I wish, they'd just look funny sticking out of my baseball hat).

I borrow a pair of Core Sound Low-Cost Stealthy Cardioids, as well as a Sony ECM-? (don't have it in front of me, one of the internal-battery handheld models).  Was planning on using the Core Sounds, until I realized I don't have a battery box for; the guy that owns 'em uses an M1, but I have a JB3.  Am I screwed on that, and have to use the Sony?

If only I had a sombrero  :P  I can get the pre in without a problem but I can't see getting the Neumanns hidden. . .

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Low Cost Stealthy Card/Sony ECM?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
The only two mics I've ever owned are the two you mentioned.  I thought the results I got from the Sony ECM-717 (or the newer version 719 - I've got both) are considerably better.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:37:41 PM »
That's what I needed to hear, thanks!

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:26:47 AM »
I used to have some low-cost cards.  They can make pretty decent recordings, but their llimitations are quite obvious

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline chucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 05:16:56 AM »
Couldn't you just run the 184s on a monopod?
If ya gotta stand still anyway, you might as well hold something  ;D
Or a stand @ head height?

I did once see a pair of 184s in the YS that had a hat that the 184s fit in. Can't remember who had it though.

If I was you and didn't have a monopod, or it's too risky. I would just sweat it out and run the 184s in a hoodie, and then pull a stack tape because of the lack of config. It would sound way better IMO. If you could do that then you prolly wouldn't even have to look all sketch with the hood up, you could kinda have them near your shoulders concealed by the downed hood since youd be all up in the stack anyway. There was a guy that ran C4s outta a hoodie let me see if I can dig up those pics. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:48:30 AM by chucky »

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:42:42 AM »
Couldn't find the pic, but I know it's on here somewhere.
Heres a quote from Slightys, who must have been who posted those pics.
Other members left comments saying it sounded good, I wanted to check it out, but just remembered it now.

+T for the pull.  How the hell did you stealth a pair of C4's and a UA-5?
I  snuck my whole rig in to kingsbury and stuck my mics in little sleeves I stiched into the hood of my sweat shirt, then I ran the cables into the front pocket of my hoodie in to my fanny pack.(I made my friends girl friend bring the UA-5 inside in her purse >:D) I thought I was being pretty conspicuious but I didn't get spotted.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:46:51 AM by chucky »

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
Ya know what sloan simpson.  You might rip on me here on the interweb but out there in the real world,  Your gear is ASS.  Why even attempt it with that garbage you use ::)

Step up Bud.

edited to say:  No matter what you use for this recording your microphones lack detail.  It all starts ats the capsules bud.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:15:27 AM by ddnevi13 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
Ya know what sloan simpson.  You might rip on me here on the interweb but out there in the real world,  Your gear is ASS.  Why even attempt it with that garbage you use ::)

Step up Bud.

::)

Yeah, SS, you suck for not spending more of your disposable income on stealth gear you'll rarely use.  How do I know?  Because I suck, too!!  (Having sold my stealth gear since I rarely used it, of course.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

Step up Bud.

Yeah, SS, you suck for not spending more of your disposable income on stealth gear you'll rarely use.  How do I know?  Because I suck, too!!  (Having sold my stealth gear since I rarely used it, of course.)

not even close to what I stated here.  anyways this guy SS treats me like a dick so he can have it right back.  His gear sucks.  I make better tapes, stealth or otherwise.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »
IT'S NOT MY GEAR YOU FUCKING IMBECILE.  I also give half a fuck about what you think of a recording that only I will hear.  In addition, the Sony is a M-S, not cardioid.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:39:33 AM »
IT'S NOT MY GEAR YOU FUCKING IMBECILE.  I also give half a fuck about what you think of a recording that only I will hear.  In addition, the Sony is a M-S, not cardioid.

so you dont own the detail lacking 184s....hmmm not what your original post states Mrs. Simpson.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:41:40 AM »

I DON'T OWN THE SONY OR THE CORESOUNDS.  YOU CAN TAKE YOUR OPINIONS OF THE 184's AND PUT THEM IN YOUR ASS WITH THE TWELVE SYPHILLYTIC COCKS.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »
not even close to what I stated here.

Fair enough, I'm content with agreeing to disagree.

His gear sucks.  I make better tapes, stealth or otherwise.

Yes, yes...it's tough to argue with that.  Bottom line:  the Fluffmeister's recordings are superior to SS's, and everyone else's for that matter.  Sadly, it's true:  SS's and my and everyone else's < gear / recordings / favorite bands > suck. 

You rock, Fluffy!!   :guitarist:

(Seriously, everyone knows no one's ever made any good recordings with Neumann's, after all.)  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 11:48:42 AM »

Yes, yes...it's tough to argue with that.  Bottom line:  the Fluffmeister's recordings are superior to SS's, and everyone else's for that matter.  Sadly, it's true:  SS's and my and everyone else's < gear / recordings / favorite bands > suck. 

(Seriously, everyone knows no one's ever made any good recordings with Neumann's, after all.)  :P

Brian I made no comment here towards you, your gear, or your recordings.  Who said anything about favorite bands?  I have always stated that music is personal.

I do know that my recordings smoke any 184 recordings.  KM140s have better detail and one could at least make an argument but 184s.....pppppfffffttttt

edited to say:  Good work Moke.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »

Brian I made personal comments here towards you because of my massive inferiority complex.  It stems primarily from my disappointment over having a small unit, but is exacerbated by my complete lack of social skills.

I do know that I can smoke a cock like nobody's business.  I mean you'll come back begging me for more of that shit, but too late, I'll already have another dick in my mouth!

edited to say:  Good work Moke.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:54:38 AM by Sloan Simpson »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com