Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please give this Newbie's recording a quick listen (3MB mp3 sample)  (Read 5422 times)

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
Re: Please give this Newbie's recording a quick listen (3MB mp3 sample)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 03:01:06 AM »
I have 2 different sources from a Billy Joel concert.  One was recorded with Source: Schoeps CMC621 > Sound Devices 722 @ 24bit/96kHz.  It sounds very good

Another person taped with AT853 > battery box > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad Jukebox 3, and can hang with the schoeps source

Sure the schoeps sounded a little more natural, but it didnt sound a few hundred dollars betetr.

What was the location of each source ?   What type of playback gear were you listening through ?
Did you playback the Schoeps source at 24 bit, or was it dithered?   

Those sources are thousands of dollars apart, not hundreds. Not that the value has anything to do with it but...
I could def. understand if the AT source was in the sweet spot and the 24bit Schoeps source was way out in BFE.

I guess your trying to say the price of the rig doesn't matter, and I agree to a point.
But, We weren't debating Schoeps vs. ATs. and if we compared the ATs to the ECM from the same location the ATs would blow the ECM outta the water(as would the CSs IMO). Plus the ATs or CSs would already win hands down without a test because he'll be stealthing.

Source: Schoeps CMC621 > Sound Devices 722 @ 24bit/96kHz

AT853 > battery box > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad Jukebox 3 (digital in)

from madison square garden

Listened to them both on good quality gear, ending usually with sennheiser hd485 headphones.  Schoeps was dithered, but hearing an undithered and dithered version from a different show with the same source info, there wasnt a uhge difference in sound quality at all

They both sound very very good.  You can tell tat the At853's have their limitations, but like I said, it didnt sound hundreds and hundreds of dollars worse

But yea, I know this doesnt directly apply to the ECM mics in thsi thread, just pointing out that 'better' gear isn't always 'better' sounding
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
I started this thread around a month ago: Re: Please give this Newbie's recording a quick listen (3MB mp3 sample)

Continuing on ~~~

I got my Core Sound Cardioids and tested them out last night at a very loud show.  It was a Latin (Puerto Rican) dance music style performer, and the bass was so heavy, the rumble it sent out into the auditorium almost made the back of your throat tickle.  But the Cardioids held up and did not get blown out.

I realize that probably no one will want to listen to this for the music itself.  But if a few of you would check it out for recording quality, I would sincerely appreciate it.  It's a 3.5 meg .mp3.

I recorded with a Sony TCD-D100.  The D100 has five switches on it - I had them set as follows:

SP-LP switch:  48k Hz (SP)
Manual-Mic Limiter-Auto (AGC) switch: Manual
Mic-Line In switch: Mic
Mic Att - 0 dB/20 dB: 20 dB
AVLS Normal/Limit switch: Normal

I recorded from the tip of the triangle with the mics attached to a baseball cap and splayed outward pointing directly at each stack.

I checked my level several times and it was always right at the middle bubble on the LED (which I understand to be the optimal recording level).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E2D4DE891CEEECD6

Many Thanks!!!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
Re: Please give this Newbie's recording a quick listen (3MB mp3 sample)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 12:14:50 AM »
Yea, core sound cards tend to roll off a decent amount of bass, as compared with say, AT853 cards, which pick up noticeable mroe bass, but nowhere near as boomy as core sound binaurals

I taped an APC concert with some low cost more sound cards, standing about 15 feet away from the bass stack, which was quite loud.  On the recording though, a lot of it was attenuated and was at a more apropriate volume
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com