Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audigy 2 zs bit perfect or not? (creative labs quote inside)  (Read 3001 times)

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Hey yall,
I already bought one of these from Ebay and and really confused if it is bit perfect or not.  Most people on this board say NOT bit perfect.  Then I found this quote from creative's site
"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS is also capable of recording audio at 24bit/96kHz, thanks to high performance A-D converters and bit-perfect signal path."

I will be running this behind a UA-5 and all i really want to do is drop bits from my ua-5 via optical to my computer's HD in 24/96.  So...as long as I'm not going analog in I should not have resampling issues..no?

Any opinions?  Has anyone else ran a laptop behind a ua-5 optical out?  How were the results?

Thanks.

KLowe
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Audigy 2 zs bit perfect or not? (creative labs quote inside)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:00:20 AM »
I have not done a comparison myself but have been told that it is *not* bit perfect and that it also resamples incoming digital signals.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:11:23 PM »
I used to use this card but I found that it was noisy! Very noisy in fact. I switched to a M-AUDIO audiophile 192 card and all my problems were solved with noise. I would even get an M-audio 98K card if you can not afford the 192k IMO

Hey yall,
I already bought one of these from Ebay and and really confused if it is bit perfect or not.  Most people on this board say NOT bit perfect.  Then I found this quote from creative's site
"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS is also capable of recording audio at 24bit/96kHz, thanks to high performance A-D converters and bit-perfect signal path."

I will be running this behind a UA-5 and all i really want to do is drop bits from my ua-5 via optical to my computer's HD in 24/96.  So...as long as I'm not going analog in I should not have resampling issues..no?

Any opinions?  Has anyone else ran a laptop behind a ua-5 optical out?  How were the results?

Thanks.

KLowe
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »
I havent done any digital recording on my 2ZS, but see the image I attached

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:44:12 AM »
As far as the S/PDIF interface goes, it's bit perfect.  This series of soundcards was the first made by Creative Labs that did not resample S/PDIF inputs.  The analog portion is pretty noisy, though.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:38:24 AM »
Thank you sparkE.

Question is answered.  The optical in is bit perfect  :o

now I wonder if I'll ever use the damn thing?  Gotta get rid of a couple of the four jb3's or the MT.

Guess I could dump em all and get the r-4?
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=33363.0

I tested this thing trying to get a clean recording @ 24/48 and 24/96 from a V3 and was never successful.  On the same computer, the VXPocket worked flawlessly.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 10:31:59 AM »
I should qualify my previous response with a caveat.  I have noticed non-bit perfect results on machines that use the Via southbridge chip and 4-in-1 drivers of the type that were commonly used with Athlon processors about 5 years ago.  In those implementations, all PCI bus, USB and ISA bus traffic goes through that same chip and they all share a common interrupt. Sometimes, an interrupt is not serviced soon enough and the result is dropped samples.  In machines like that, you have to do the transfer at least 3 times and trim all 3 copies to exactly the same starting sample.  Then you compare 2 of the copies to find where they first differ from each other.  Then you refer to the 3rd copy to find out which of the first 2 were correct, make the require change to the one that was wrong and repeat the procedure until all of the differences between 2 of the files are resolved.   The original transfer will not be bit perfect, but the end result will be bit perfect.

FWIW, I've also had the same experience with the Audiophile 2496 that everyone claims to be bit perfect.

Bottom line is that I've found both the Audiophile 2496 and the Audigy 2 series soundcards to be bit perfect, but some computers that use Athlon processors and a VIA chipset may drop samples.  Usually the dropped sequence is less than 5 milliseconds in length and typically are 1 to 1 1/2 milliseconds in length.  If you have a computer like that, it's unlikely that any particular soundcard will cure your dropped sample issue.  You either have to deal with it by comparing multiple copies or you have to replace the computer.  (I chose to replace the computer.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com