Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brickwalling  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Brickwalling
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »
A few weeks back, I recorded ( with my SP-CMC-8 > SP-SPSB-6 rig ) a really loud show.  Most of the recording came out nice, but unfortunately there are places in the recording that are all distorted as a result of my levels being too high and the show being too damn loud.  The house's mix had the bass so high, my nose and ears were actually itching from the vibration.  The mics just couldn't handle it.  I suppose normally I would just write it up as a loss, but it's a real special show to me and I am certain mine is the only recording. 

I realize there is no way to repair brickwalling, but is there something I can do in post to minimize its negative effect?   Can someone tell me how to make a bad situation a bit better?  (I use Sound Forge to edit.)

Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline tapers_are_geeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Brickwalling
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 05:17:50 PM »
run Normalize and lower the db until it's between -6 and-12. after that you'll need to run the Noise Reduction feature.. if the bass is muddy you need to go into EQ settings and choose the roll-off feature below 120hz.... what recording/show is it?

Offline Josephine

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
run Normalize and lower the db until it's between -6 and-12. after that you'll need to run the Noise Reduction feature.. if the bass is muddy you need to go into EQ settings and choose the roll-off feature below 120hz.... what recording/show is it?

Do I apply this to the entire recording, or just to the affected portions?
It's a Thorogood recording.
Thanks for the help.  :)

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline tapers_are_geeks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »
i would do it to the entire recording. you can do parts if you like although there will be a fluctuation in the sound playback when done.

basically i would do it in this order
EQ roll-off below 120hz>Normalize>noise reduction

i have an sp-pre as well and i run mine at 160hz roll-off. at this frequency i dont have to do any post eq editing

Offline Josephine

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
I was running at 107hz.   It was not enough.   :(
Thanks for the advice . . . appreciate it.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »
Wow - I just ran into the same problem. Taped Rose Hill Drive last night at CBGB's and I knew I was in trouble from the beginning. Loudest concert I've ever ben too! Even the guitarist was complaining that the bass was too loud. My ears are still ringing!

Offline tapers_are_geeks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
you can always use a high roll-off feature from the sp-pre. set it high cause you can always add bass post sound forge equing, but it's hard to remove the really deep mudd after the fact. you can try and try,but the more you roll it off post eq the more messy it well sound...i just leave mine on 160hz.

what kind of recorder are you using?

Offline Josephine

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 06:22:52 PM »
I usually run a different setup than the SP mics.  I have to admit, I'm not all too familiar with them or the battery box.
I had them running into my D100.
Next time, you can bet I will use a higher roll off setting.
I do have to say, though, that the bass was just unbelievably high at this show.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
i have had a few like that. i just set my batt. box r/o to 195 hz pretty much all the time now,since i had nothing but excellent results.not sure what recording device you are using,on my hi-md i always go > line in vs. > mic in. mic in cant handle loud volumes

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 08:04:18 PM »
There is a "smooth" feature in SoundForge which can help a little bit.  You have to play with it a little though because if you use too much it begins to sound muffled.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 09:07:56 PM »

I understand toying around with HPF to achieve a better result, am unsure of how SF's NR feature works, but I don't understand the intent of dropping the levels to -6 to -12 dB.  Help me understand why and what this will accomplish and why?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »
Josephine, why no schoeps? ???  Were you running line in or mic in?  Sorry to hear about the recording, hope your able to straighten it out.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
A few weeks back, I recorded ( with my SP-CMC-8 > SP-SPSB-6 rig ) a really loud show.  Most of the recording came out nice, but unfortunately there are places in the recording that are all distorted as a result of my levels being too high and the show being too damn loud.  The house's mix had the bass so high, my nose and ears were actually itching from the vibration.  The mics just couldn't handle it.  I suppose normally I would just write it up as a loss, but it's a real special show to me and I am certain mine is the only recording. 

I realize there is no way to repair brickwalling, but is there something I can do in post to minimize its negative effect?   Can someone tell me how to make a bad situation a bit better?  (I use Sound Forge to edit.)

I can't help you in terms of cleaning up the distortion.  My noobie understanding of distortion (ie. brickwalling) is that when its there, you can't get rid of it.   :(

For the future:

Get the mics modded for phantom power.  They terminated to mini xlr's, get a preamp that accepts mini xlr's and you are set.  My at853 rig consists of a sanjay-built preamp with mini xlr inputs and my iriver H140.  It's super stealthy.

Read this regarding using the bass roll off feature with an D100/M1:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46007.0
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Josephine

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 02:36:35 PM »
Josephine, why no schoeps? ???  Were you running line in or mic in?  Sorry to hear about the recording, hope your able to straighten it out.

The band and I go back a long ways.  In 25 years, not one of them has ever seen me in a hat. 
It's one thing wearing a dorky Kangol amongst strangers . . . . you get the idea.
I hated leaving the Schoeps at home, but felt I didn't have much choice.
The guys definitely would have wondered what was up with the hat and my unusually restricted movements.

I was running line in. 

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Jofa

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »
I have always used the 69hz roll off > line in with my sp-cmc-8's. Never had any problem with brickwalling, maybe I'm just lucky?

/ R.
Mics: DPA 4061's, 2xSony ECM-101, Audix 1290 capsules, Beyerdynamic CK930's, Countryman B3's
BBs: 2x custom made bb's
Pres: Tinybox V1.5,  Church Audio ST-9100, PIPsqueak
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-09, Sony TCD-D8, Sony TCD-D3, Sony MZ-R50, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com