Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic LH and RH orientation  (Read 1646 times)

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
Mic LH and RH orientation
« on: June 17, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »
On patterns like ORTF does the mic orientation change as far as what channel each mic uses? Although I may have the mic mounted on the right side it crosses the other mic. Should I plug it in the right channel or left since the cap will actually be on the left hand side? Thanks

paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Mic LH and RH orientation
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »
The mic facing the right will be the right channel, and the mic facing the left will be the left channel.  If you have them switched, you will be able to recognize the difference on playback.  If this happens, you can use a program like Audacity to switch the left & right channels and correct the problem.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. In Audacity should I just move the channels? Or is there a specific function used to swap the channels for the whole file? I'm new to Audacity. Thanks

Paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply. In Audacity should I just move the channels? Or is there a specific function used to swap the channels for the whole file? I'm new to Audacity. Thanks

• import the WAV file into Audacity
  • using the black dropdown triangle next to the filename on the left-hand side, select Split Stereo Track (Audacity will turn the single file into two files, one designated Left the other Right)
  • using the dropdown again, select Left Channel or Right Channel appropriately for each channel
  • Export the file:  File | Export WAV *

* Assumption:  you've defined the preferences in such a way that the exported file matches the format of the master file, namely sample rate and bit-depth.  Otherwise, the exported file will not match your master file (in ways more than just the L/R swap).  Unless you've changed the sample rate with the Project Rate button in the bottom left, it will remain the same upon export.  But you should check to make sure the bit-depth for export matches the master file's bit-depth (unless you want to change it, but I'm guessing not).  Go to File | Preferences | File Formats tab and select the proper Uncompressed Export Format option (probably either 16-bit, Other: 24-bit, etc.).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com