Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix Mixes (n00b)  (Read 4702 times)

Offline bubbybooshay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Matrix Mixes (n00b)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »
i've always wanted to try a matrix like this but seems to compllicated, still does after reading this thread :P
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »
I sync multiple sources all of the time in Vegas. First, sync up the start of the recordings up, then go to the end and check for drift. You will most likely have a small amount of drift. Then, compress/stretch one of the tracks until you have sync ast the end too. Once you get good at this, you should be able to sync the entire recording in a few steps. This of course assumes that even if the clocks are off from each other a bit, that they have a consistent relationship to one another. If they don't (like can happen from a tape source, aka flutter), then this technique might not work because the drift is happening at different rates across the entire recording. I sync my R4 sources with my JB3 sources and my videocam sources this way all of the time. Each app is a little different, but any multitrack app can pretty much handle it.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »
Im going to have to experiment with some gear...

I have a rack A/D that will allow you to set the input to "sync" "external" or "internal PLL"

I wonder if I ran two sources through the internal PLL setting...would I get a steady clock?

Is there such a thing as reclocking?

I've actually run my setup with two ADs using the same clock - but still seemed to have drift (this has to be repeated because there were errors -clicks- in one of the recordings...)

But it makes me wonder - where is the clock ulitimately set?....external A/D or does the JB3 add its own clock...?

I don't think there is a "real" way to do it after the fact.  That is what timecode enabled decks are designed for.  So all your ADs are using the same clock.  Once the wave has been clocked and digitized there is no real way to get the time totally right.  When the waveform is measured for amplitude at a given time and that time differs you are basically in a different place on the waveform, even though the clocks believe it has only been exactly 25:00 minutes and 1 second.  I'm totally butchering explaining this but hopefully you get the idea.  Stretching the wav file sort of makes an analog version of retiming the signal.  It's not ideal but probably as close as you can come without proper timecode to begin with.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com