Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hurcules Isolation Mount  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Hurcules Isolation Mount
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »

Just picked one of these up at Musicians Freind.  Seems like a great alternative to having shock mounts for both mics. Especially for those of us with mini mics, this is the only protection from wooks grabing onto the stand or kicking it on the way by. 

Also if you want a shock-mount/isolation for your baffle head or j-disc, this is the answer. !!!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Hurcules Isolation Mount
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:32:31 AM »
So the outer shell has 5/8" 27 tpi femal mic stand threads (looking down) and there is a stud with 3/8" 16 tpi threads (looking up) that is suspended inside the outer shell?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks. Those look pretty sweet.

http://www.herculesstands.com/mics/HA612.html
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »
They make two models: 5/8"->3/8" and 5/8->5/8.

BTW, who uses 3/8"?  Don't all microphone holders and stands use 5/8"?

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:12:44 PM »
OK, I missed that.  When I googled for the adapter, I hit on the 3/8" one.  You're right that it makes more sense to stay 5/8" mic thread all the way.

Anyway, am I correct that the outer shell is connected to your stand and then there is a threaded stud suspended inside that outer shell?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
Anyway, am I correct that the outer shell is connected to your stand and then there is a threaded stud suspended inside that outer shell?

Yes, that is correct.  It looks like the stud is suspended by rubberbands is the picture, but it is really little springs.  Seems like a well built propduct.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:29:22 PM »

BTW, who uses 3/8"?  Don't all microphone holders and stands use 5/8"?

Many stands terminate in 1/4" or 3/8", and require conversion to 5/8".  They're typically made for camera/lighting work.  Typical camera stuff is at 1/4"...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:48:58 PM »
looks excellent.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 04:16:08 PM »
here are some actual pictures

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
I've been thinking of grabbing one of these for my LSD2.....looks like it would work well....

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »
The mounting stud is firmly in place becasue of that pieice of foammy stuff that is around it.  It is like those things you get in CDr spindles.  The stud is able to move a good bit though if you move it manually. It seems like it would be very effective, esspecially for the price.  The springs work well

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 06:10:11 PM »
nice.  can you give us dimensions of this, i.e. how long and wide? 

thanks +

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
I had a little extra pay pal when I saw this post. I ordered one right away. $6 shipping? Give me a break. It came fast enough but it was just in a plastic bag with no padding. No big deal. I think I might have prefered small rubber bands to these springs. Someone asked how stiff it is. I haven't put mics on to tap test it yet but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. It just seems a bit rigid for a shock mount.

It is 3.5" tall (3/4" is top stud) it's about 1.5" wide and about 5.5" in circumference.

It's seems pretty good for $25. I would be a little bent if I paid $40+ for it.

When I get the inititive I'll set up two mics one on, one off and do a tap and drag test. Educated guess tells me that you will still get a bit of rumble if you were to say drag the stand on the stage. I hope to be proven wrong.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 06:46:37 PM »
Happy to report it actually seems to work pretty well. I put a t-bar on one stand. 2 KM184> V3 into DP4. I had the gain equal. First I smacked the stand with a sharpie marker. The side with the shock mount had significally less sound picked up. I then sort of wrenched my hands on the stand to make a low rumble vibration. This test was less impressive than the "ping" test but there was no doubt that less low end rumble came through on playback for the shouck mounted mic. I literally looped the selection and felt my monitors diaphram. The un ISO'ed mic definitly had a lot of low end rumbling on it. As I expected from the rigidness in my last post the mic that was shock mounted did not completely ignore the low end interference. So I guess it is well worth using and a pretty good value. I do sort of think that the more traditional bungee suspension is more effective.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »
This thing sort of sucks for our applications. I am not getting the isolation you would desire and a spring already disappeared on mine. I have only used a half dozen times or so. Maybe it would be better without using 2 mics on it. I only used KM184's though. Definitly regret the purchase now that is is pretty much unusable. Oh well... Live and learn.  ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com