Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C60/CK28  (Read 3542 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
AKG C60/CK28
« on: July 07, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this combo?  A friend got a pair in a package deal at an estate sale and has no use for them.  He is selling them pretty cheep.  About 1/2 the price that I see a pair going for on ebay (allthough just the mics... no accessories).  Was thinking of getting them to play around with and then maybe resell.  He is not currently a member, but if I don't pick them up I'll get him to put them up in the yard sale.  :)
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: AKG C60/CK28
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:34:08 PM »
info about them?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 11:35:55 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this combo?  A friend got a pair in a package deal at an estate sale and has no use for them.  He is selling them pretty cheep.  About 1/2 the price that I see a pair going for on ebay (allthough just the mics... no accessories).  Was thinking of getting them to play around with and then maybe resell.  He is not currently a member, but if I don't pick them up I'll get him to put them up in the yard sale.  :)

They're tubes, so you need a power supply.  If all you have is the mics it'll cost some serious $ for a decent supply.  Might be why they're so "cheep".

The C60 is probably the best tube mic AKG ever made.  Kind of like a tube version of the classic C451E. 

Trying to run them in the field might be more hassle than it's worth though.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:30 PM »
Actually they come with the power supply... By no accessories I ment to indicate no clamps, shock mounts, case, etc.

So the power supplies would be a pain to run DC in the field?

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 11:47:47 PM »
info about them?

He does not have much info about them.  Got them as part of a package of older recording/playback EQ at an estate sale.  Says they are in good shape and has tested them with the power supplies.  He says he sees no problems with functionality/sound but there are a few minor scratches cosmetically on the mics and power supplies.

More than anything I'm temped to just play around with them and then resell them.  Was just wondiering if anyone had any field experience with them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:49:29 PM by china_rider »

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 11:53:35 PM »
I'm interested if you want to act as a middleman and don't decide to get them for yourself.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »
Actually they come with the power supply... By no accessories I ment to indicate no clamps, shock mounts, case, etc.

So the power supplies would be a pain to run DC in the field?

Not if you have access to AC power.

These mics are probably best in a studio environment.  I don't know how much of a difference you'd hear in a live setting between these and a pair of 451's or 460's.  Obviously there will be something, but if you're just recording a PA I don't know if you'd want to bother?

Tubes are of course very fragile as well, so if you value your mics you won't take them outside the safe zone.  Not to mention these mics were made in the early 1960's, so their freqiency response and age could be detrimental.  They do have that vintage mic character though...

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:23:43 AM »
There are several guys who run these in the field on battery.  They are custom battery packs similar to what the guys running Neumann KM5x's in the field are using.  Ive seen the guts of one of the ones made for KM5x's and it was powered by a bunch of large batteries that look like 9v batts on steroids, all wired in series. I think the C60 sounds warmer and thicker than the 450 series.  Ive always thought that 451's sounded kind of thin when used for concert taping. They sound great for studio/upclose stuff though.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:30:26 AM »
There are several guys who run these in the field on battery.  They are custom battery packs similar to what the guys running Neumann KM5x's in the field are using.  Ive seen the guts of one of the ones made for KM5x's and it was powered by a bunch of large batteries that look like 9v batts on steroids, all wired in series. I think the C60 sounds warmer and thicker than the 450 series.  Ive always thought that 451's sounded kind of thin when used for concert taping. They sound great for studio/upclose stuff though.

Hey, I just noticed a Chinese auction that totally copied the C60 one!!!  It says payment by Bank transfer or Western Union.  No feedback either.  I mean how obvious can you get.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com