Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: transferring no-no?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline muddguts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Just Passin' Thru
transferring no-no?
« on: July 18, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »
I'm fairly new to the taping and transferring game and have a question.

When transfering a DAT to the hard drive, will using the computer in the meantime damage or hinder the transfer?
Do you like George Thorogood & The Destroyers? My little tribute them:
http://thorogoodconcerts.com

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: transferring no-no?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
do not do ANYTHING while transferring.   I even get offline, turn off screensaver, shut down un needed running programs etc.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
It really depends how much memory you have and whether you're using multiple hard drives. I have a dedicated drive that's used only for transfers, tracking and conversion. It's not unusual for me to be listening to one show while transferring another, surfing the web, etc., but your mileage may vary. If you're low on memory and only have one hard drive, I'd follow Gordon's advice - and most of the time I set up a transfer to run right before I go to bed anyway - but you may want to do a test run on your own to see if it works.

Of course, I also listen to each show all the way through with headphones before I seed, just to make sure I catch any flaws before the show goes out. Some folks don't.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline muddguts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Just Passin' Thru
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »
It really depends how much memory you have and whether you're using multiple hard drives. I have a dedicated drive that's used only for transfers, tracking and conversion. It's not unusual for me to be listening to one show while transferring another, surfing the web, etc., but your mileage may vary. If you're low on memory and only have one hard drive, I'd follow Gordon's advice - and most of the time I set up a transfer to run right before I go to bed anyway - but you may want to do a test run on your own to see if it works.

Of course, I also listen to each show all the way through with headphones before I seed, just to make sure I catch any flaws before the show goes out. Some folks don't.

My memory is getting stretched too thin for my liking these days...

greenone,  we are very similar in the way we do some things.  I also set up a transfer before bed or before leaving the house for a while.  It's always nice to come back or wake up to a finished transfer.  I also listen with headphones before torrenting something. The reason this topic came up was because I had transferred a Chris Duarte show and while listening to it after, I detected a skipping kind of effect to the music.  I went back and checked the master DAT and it was fine.  This prompted me to wonder if I caused the problems while doing other things on the comp while it transferred in the background.

I will definitely take Gordon's advice and stay away while transferring. Thanks you two.
Do you like George Thorogood & The Destroyers? My little tribute them:
http://thorogoodconcerts.com

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:26 PM »
i used to transfer dats on my old g4 mac 5 years ago and do TONS of stuff in the background.  hell, i even burned cds while doing it :)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:59:03 PM by scott brown »

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:18:09 PM »
Key is how YOUR system handles other tasks while transfrring.

you could always test how your system handles transfers by 1) thansfering the show to the pc while the pc is otherwise totally idle and then 2) transferring the same show again while loading your pc down with other tasks.

You could then use EAC's wav compare function to see if any samples in the common portion of the two transferrs are different (since the transfers would not necessarily start or end at the same sample, eac would, of course, indicate that one transfer contained different or missing info in the very beginning/end).  If the common portion of the 2 transfers is identical, your computer was not affected by the other processes it performed while conducting the second transfer.  However if one of the transfers had dropped/missing samples, then you'd better lay off the computer while transferring dats.

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »
your biggest concern should be making sure your hard drive is defragmented

if you have a decent pc, do what you want while transferring.  I dunno if Id recommend doing CPU intensive stuff, but like surfing the web etc should cause no problems
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com