Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Smart FTP keeps going "IDLE" what does this mean and how do I fix it?  (Read 4731 times)

Offline rdflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
I am trying to upload to Archive and it keeps going idle and I am losing my flac files and it is being a total PITA.

Why is it going IDLE, I keep refreshing, but its not working.

any help would be much appreciated.

jon
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
no help with smart ftp, but I use filezilla and I've had no problems.   

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
I am trying to upload to Archive and it keeps going idle and I am losing my flac files and it is being a total PITA.

jon

When an FTP client idles for too long (RE: does not talk with the server... just sits there) then the server may, and usually does, drop the connection.  If you're files are transfering then the connection is not idle so I'm not sure why you would be losing your connecction.  You're positive that the files are transfering?

Offline rdflash

jon

When an FTP client idles for too long (RE: does not talk with the server... just sits there) then the server may, and usually does, drop the connection.  If you're files are transfering then the connection is not idle so I'm not sure why you would be losing your connecction.  You're positive that the files are transfering?

I am not transferring anything.  It keeps shitting out and wont let me do anything.

How do I fix this?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business

jon

I am not transferring anything.  It keeps shitting out and wont let me do anything.

How do I fix this?

Are you downloading via FTP or are you uploading?  If you are idle for too long on an FTP then it will drop your connection to make room for someone else who wants to access the server.

The way to fix it is to keep your connection active by transfering some files.  You can set most FTP clients to send a NOOP or LIST command every X amount of seconds if you want to use a "keep alive" technique.  Not sure if this is something that is looked down upon, but it will work.

Offline rdflash

jon

How do I fix this?

Are you downloading via FTP or are you uploading?  If you are idle for too long on an FTP then it will drop your connection to make room for someone else who wants to access the server.

The way to fix it is to keep your connection active by transfering some files.  You can set most FTP clients to send a NOOP or LIST command every X amount of seconds if you want to use a "keep alive" technique.  Not sure if this is something that is looked down upon, but it will work.

Im uploading and keep trying to connect.

Offline dgodwin

In the past, when I had problems, sometimes this would help:  try uploading in passive mode.  If you're all ready in passive mode, try unchecking it. 

Offline rdflash

In the past, when I had problems, sometimes this would help:  try uploading in passive mode.  If you're all ready in passive mode, try unchecking it. 

wheres passive mode and i just downloaded "filezilla" and tried it, but its giveing me "critical transfer error"

wtf.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Smart FTP keeps going "IDLE" what does this mean and how do I fix it?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:19:47 AM »
What's the specific server address you're trying to connect to? There's a slight chance the server may be down or having connection problems (I just ran into one myself)...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rdflash

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:21:41 AM »
What's the specific server address you're trying to connect to? There's a slight chance the server may be down or having connection problems (I just ran into one myself)...

ia310130.us.archive.org

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
Passive mode is in the settings, and then the firewall tab. 

To restart an upload, highlight all the files at the bottom, and right click, and "reset status"  then try re-uploading them. 

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 03:28:29 AM »
I just uploaded a show using FlashFXP (which is the client I recommend).  I know this doesn't help you with your SmartFTP problems, but you might consider using a different client.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com