Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grainy lo fi sound? Help deduce what might have happened please.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
This weekend I did some recording for a small indoor fest. I did different setups for each set depending on what would work and what would be needed. For one of the bands I wanted to put a pair of KM184 in the back of the room. This band had a nasty buzz on the guitar that we could not do anything about. Combination of bad power and vintage gear I suppose. Anyway I had some subgroups on the console, omni's at stage lip and for the last two bands KM184> V3> AES/EBU> MOTU 896. The V3 was running off of a 7.5volt adapter like I have been using it for the last 3 years or so, maybe more. I had trusty canare's that I have used many times. I'm pretty sure I had the V3 set to 44.1k. I haven't yet set up the rig to trouble shoot or test. The rooms mics came out super grainy sounding. As if it was recording at 8 or 12 bits or some shit. I have run my 184>v3 a couple hundred times or more and never have had this issue. My board feeds and earthworks sound fine. We did have to power go out twice on us that night. It happened to the town and not just the venue. I think it was going on before that though and not only afterward. I hope there wasn't some surge that blew my V3 somehow. I'll have to set up the rig today to test it out. The earlier sets were in a different room and the 184> V3 tracks sound fine.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tpu40t

Oh yeah, the buzz you hear on the first few seconds is the guitar but it still sounds like everything is distorted or grainy. The buzz was literally as loud as the mix and driving the audience, the engineer, and myself nuts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:40:15 AM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com