Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-P2 Playback Question >>  (Read 3245 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Tascam HD-P2 Playback Question >>
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »
So I was very fortunate this past weekend of panic (Merriweather and Ptown) to be loaned the new Tascam HDP2.  The recordings were smooth and everything worked as planed, mostly just a data-dump machine.  So after the first night, I tried with no luck (and each night following) to playback the files that I had recorded with no luck. 

Anyone know how to playback with this device yet?  I was able to do a transfer really quickly, but it would be nice to have some 'course' playback ability.  Thanks for any insight.

AND thanks to Graham for the major hook-up.

jessedscott

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam HD-P2 Playback Question >>
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »
power>press play. should play what was recorded from the beginning.

if not, go menu>project menu>scroll down to files(select)>it will show however many files you recorded, select>play.

it does a have a speaker built it, which I'm sure you noticed. you have to turn the headphones volume knob on.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:03:54 PM »
power>press play. should play what was recorded from the beginning.

if not, go menu>project menu>scroll down to files(select)>it will show however many files you recorded, select>play.

it does a have a speaker built it, which I'm sure you noticed. you have to turn the headphones volume knob on.

you see i did all of that and no luck.
i was trying to use the analog output, into a bose for hotel playback.

i went into the file menu, found the 4 files from that night (24/96) and chose the 2nd file.  pressed play many times and no luck.....

jessedscott

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »
you didn't erase them did you? try unmounting the media, turn it off, then try it again.

weird.

jessedscott

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »
try this. go top the file you recorded. select it. hold the stop button and press <<< REW. it will go to the beginning of the recording.

just a thought...

spyder9, Jason, Merin, any suggestions?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:12:06 PM »
you didn't erase them did you? try unmounting the media, turn it off, then try it again.

weird.

nah, i did the transfers (two different CPUs) first and then re-entered the card for playback from the deck.
i even tried re-mounting, which was easy enough, and re-powering up.  funny thing is that i called graham (deck owner) and he didn't know how to playback either.

could it be the file resolution?  doesn't sound like it, but i can't think of anything else.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »
it took me a long time to figure out how to playback from the HD-P2, and I was going crazy trying to do it.  then I figured it out.

I'm assuming that you used an external A/D, so you had the signal source set to S/PDIF, and also the clock source set to S/PDIF (as you should have it set when recording from S/PDIF.  unless you were syncing with another external clock, and then you could set the clock source to "word clock")

anyway, to play back the files, you don't have an incoming S/PDIF source, so there is no clock information.  Go to the project settings menu, and change the clock source to internal.  Once I did that, it played back just as it should...

that was the problem for me, hopefully it takes care of it for you :)

jessedscott

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »
strange indeed. I have recorded in all three samples/bit, 16/44, 24/48, and 24/96. all have played back .

is the hold button ON??

it took me a long time to figure out how to playback from the HD-P2, and I was going crazy trying to do it.  then I figured it out.

I'm assuming that you used an external A/D, so you had the signal source set to S/PDIF, and also the clock source set to S/PDIF (as you should have it set when recording from S/PDIF.  unless you were syncing with another external clock, and then you could set the clock source to "word clock")

anyway, to play back the files, you don't have an incoming S/PDIF source, so there is no clock information.  Go to the project settings menu, and change the clock source to internal.  Once I did that, it played back just as it should...

that is most likley the issue.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

Thanks.  Exactly what I did mk41>kc5>cmc6xt>m248>mme>hdp2.

that sounds right, thanks for the help!!

jessedscott

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:23:05 PM »
has to be the issue. I just changed mine from internal to s/pdif, and then to word, neither played back..

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »
Try turning on the headphones, on the front of the machine.  See if the cheesey speaker is functioning.  It should.  Who knows, the headphone knob might also control the output to the spdif and analog connections.  Try that and see what you get.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »
Try turning on the headphones, on the front of the machine.  See if the cheesey speaker is functioning.  It should.  Who knows, the headphone knob might also control the output to the spdif and analog connections.  Try that and see what you get.

thanks, but jason's suggestion was the trick.  i had it set to an external clock (mme) and then i just hadn't changed it to the internal clock.  all good now.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »
Cool!   :)

jessedscott

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
Todd, just curious to what you usually use. And how do you like the Tascam?

I have still yet to run directly into the P2 w/o a A/D infront. Might be my next mission.

I think I can speak for some of the other guys/or gals running it. Love IT!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:53:24 PM by Tripper Harrison »

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
Todd, just curious to what you usually use. And how do you like the Tascam?

I have still yet to run directly into the P2 w/o a A/D infront. Might be my next mission.

I think I can speak for some of the other guys/or gals running it. Love IT!

recorder - i typically use the ol' d8 or the jb3.  i've used a laptop here and there, but only inside and in a safe environment.
mics - schoeps actives > m248 or the schoeps pre-amp (vmso2ib) > ad1000/mme/ad500

from what i've heard/read the A>D is not that spectacular (when compared to a MME or a V3) but no direct experience.
i'm definitley getting one of these decks ASAP.  if some comps are done on the A>D, that would be great.  the bag would be very light to run bodies directly into the pre-amp > deck. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com