Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Open Back Sennheiser headphones question  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Open Back Sennheiser headphones question
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:25:29 PM »
I was thinking about picking a up pair of Sennheiser HD580, but none of their dealers around me actually carry them so I'll probably have to pick them up online. I'll mostly being using them in my cubicle at work and I'm afraid the open back design will let a lot of sound out and could bother the people around me. Can anybody that's used these (or other open back sennheiser cans) comment on how loud they are to people around you. thanks

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Open Back Sennheiser headphones question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
Yeha, they leak quite a bit.  Maybe you should look into comfy closed cans...what will the cans be plugged into?  If its a laptop or desktop, I cannot recommend the HD580's...they need an amp to shine.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
thanks for the info... I was afraid of that. I was thinking of picking up a headphone amp of some sort to run in front of them.

any suggesstions on good closed cans that are comfortable. I will be wearing them 4-6 hours a day so comfort is a big deal to me. don't want to spend more than $125-$150. I've heard good things about the sound quality of grados, but I've also heard their construction can be a little weak and all of their designs are open air as far as I know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:55:53 PM by ShawnSmith »

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »
I just picked up the Beyerdynamic DT 770 phones and I've been enjoying them, they're very comfortable.  If you look online you might be able to find a deal.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:47:21 AM »
any suggesstions on good closed cans that are comfortable. I will be wearing them 4-6 hours a day so comfort is a big deal to me. don't want to spend more than $125-$150. I've heard good things about the sound quality of grados, but I've also heard their construction can be a little weak and all of their designs are open air as far as I know.

Yup, all the Grado's are open back, and since they sit 'on' your ears they can get uncomfortable for long sessions.  People buy 'em for their sound not comfort.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 09:07:29 AM »
ShawnSmith, take a look at all the cans headphone.com offers.  I would recommend the DT770's, but their may be other options available to you on the site.  I personally own the Sony 7506's and they are closed, offer good sound (no amp required) and are built to last.  I've had my pair for 5 years and they are still cranking like the day I bought them.  The pads can be changed out to velour pads which gives them some great comfort for long listening sessions.  Although, the cord can sometimes drag the left earcup down a little too much for me.  I found the headband on the DT770's to be a little too short (the cord was on the short side too, from what I recall)...I had to remove the leather padding on the headband to get enough space to fit my noggin in there (I owned an older version).

Evil Taper, how's the headband on your DT770's?  I know your model (DT770-80) was re-modeled a bit compared to the version I had (DT770-250).  What about the cord?  Is there more give with it?  I remember mine being coiled up a little too tight.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:24:26 AM »
The headband is metal with a snap on cover that you can change when it gets worn out.  They're big enough and comfortable on my head, and I barely have the ears extended.  The one complaint that I have is that the cord is permanently attatched to the earpiece, I really liked the breakaway cord on my Sennheisers.  I've been running them on a gold connector rat shack extension cable and they sound fantastic.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »
I have the open back HD485's

anyway, yea they do leak sound, but I don't think it would be enough to bother other people, unless you really cranked up the volume
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »
FWIW, if someone near my desk wore open headphones, it wouldn't take long for me to rip them off their head and smash them to smithereens.  IME, even low to medium volume would leak enough would drive me nuts.  $0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
I lucked out and found a pair of Stax SR-404 electrostatics  and the amp to go with it for under 1G on ebay. Those are some serious, serious phones. I got mine new...I see them fairly regularly unused.

they are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »
Stax SR-404 electrostatics  and the amp to go with it

:drool:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »
I lucked out and found a pair of Stax SR-404 electrostatics  and the amp to go with it for under 1G on ebay. Those are some serious, serious phones. I got mine new...I see them fairly regularly unused.

they are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html

Actually, the SR-007 's are the cream of the crop (aka Omega II) for the Stax line.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 03:41:22 PM »
 I meant(and what I didnt clarify) that Stax were supposed to be the cream of the crop in General. Of course you could buy the least expensive of the Stax line and notice an immediate difference from most cans. They are just amazing. I jumped from HD600s(senn) to Stax for pleasure listening, and was blown away. I wouldnt use them for monitoring(Use etys for that) but for leisure... :o

Actually, the SR-007 's are the cream of the crop (aka Omega II) for the Stax line.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 08:39:34 AM »
Oh yeah, i definitely agree with that.  The midrange is on a different scale even with my cheapie SR44's or SR84's.  Try running some vinyl thru them   :o

-George

I meant(and what I didnt clarify) that Stax were supposed to be the cream of the crop in General. Of course you could buy the least expensive of the Stax line and notice an immediate difference from most cans. They are just amazing. I jumped from HD600s(senn) to Stax for pleasure listening, and was blown away. I wouldnt use them for monitoring(Use etys for that) but for leisure... :o

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 09:30:24 AM »
Any of you guys ever try those AKG K1000's? They look to me like dynamic Stax wannabe's.  Curious.
http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,90,id,249,pid,249,_language,EN.html
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com