Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new R-09 user looking for advice  (Read 1758 times)

Offline sec1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
new R-09 user looking for advice
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:45:26 PM »
Hi all. I've already bent back a user's ears for some advice, but wanted to ask the masses about my new R-09.

I use 2 different mic setups: Stealth with CoreSound Omni's, and open with Studio Projects C4's with a Denecke Phantom Power box. I tested this out using the Coresounds within 2' of the small speaker a friend was using, playing acoustic dinner type tunes. As was suggested I started to go line in, but got nothing so I switched to mic in with levels at 16 I think. I needed to boost after the fact, but the levels worked there. I checked the battery box battery, and it's at full charge, so i'm wondering what an ideal setting should be to use those at line in? I'll use it this friday night with my other mic setup for an open taping show, and will adjust as I go along.

I think I have all internal settings correct, according to comments i've already gotten, but what about the 3 settings on the back of the deck (I know to use stereo mics):

AGC: off or on
low cut: off or on
mic gain: low or high (I would guess high, even with externall mics?)

I've read not every post in the 2 main threads but most, but if there's anything that I may need to know, please drop a line.

Thanks.

shane
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new R-09 user looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »
AGC: off or on
low cut: off or on
mic gain: low or high (I would guess high, even with externall mics?)

I've read not every post in the 2 main threads but most, but if there's anything that I may need to know, please drop a line.

this is all pretty well documented in the existing threads.  mic gain has been discussed as recently as yesterday.

AGC:  off

low cut:  dunno, looking to cut your low frequencies?  if no, OFF.  if yes, ON.

mic gain:  totally depends on the nature of what you're taping.  but for the vast majority of musical performances, low gain is what you're looking for.

Offline uglybassplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: new R-09 user looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:01:48 PM »
Hi all. I've already bent back a user's ears for some advice, but wanted to ask the masses about my new R-09.

I use 2 different mic setups: Stealth with CoreSound Omni's, and open with Studio Projects C4's with a Denecke Phantom Power box. I tested this out using the Coresounds within 2' of the small speaker a friend was using, playing acoustic dinner type tunes. As was suggested I started to go line in, but got nothing so I switched to mic in with levels at 16 I think. I needed to boost after the fact, but the levels worked there. I checked the battery box battery, and it's at full charge, so i'm wondering what an ideal setting should be to use those at line in? I'll use it this friday night with my other mic setup for an open taping show, and will adjust as I go along.

Can't speak with regard to the C4's, but I do have a set of CoreSound Omni's and I've noticed that they are a good 12db quieter than the internal mics on the R-09.  In contrast, I also have a set of binarals w/ battery box from Giant Squid Audio which is just the opposite... several db more sensitive than the internals.

- Frank.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com