Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM F1 pre-emphasis question  (Read 2169 times)

bliggy

• Trade Count: (0)
Sony PCM F1 pre-emphasis question
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »
Hello,

I have recently recieved several transfers with a Sony F1 PCM in the lineage. I took very good advice from a friend and also searched all over the net to find out what I need to do with pre-emphasis issues. I even made a prety nice show out of using the de/pre-emph preset in the Waves pack.

However last night I got a torrent wherein the notes said that the guy had done the pre-emphasis adjustments according to the original documents specs.

So that had me wondering... are there specific notes for the Sony F1 PCM on what its circuitry adds? I feel bad about not doing it by the book so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Also, if I'm doing the right thing by using the Waves defaults please let me know.

Thank you.
james e

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Sony PCM F1 pre-emphasis question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:31:26 PM »
well, I've done lots of shows that are from DAT, originally recording with a Teac DA-P20, which also always added pre-emphasis (as long as you went analog into the deck).
I've also used the de/pre-emph preset in the Waves pack, with nice results.

It's my understanding that all DAT/digital PCM pre-emphasis was the same EQ curve, and therefore the same inverted EQ curve would "de-emphasize" all recordings, regardless of the original equipment used.  So, in my opinion, keep on using the Waves pre-set, and you'll be good to go.  Of course, when I was trying to track down info about pre-emphasis, it seemed to me that there wasn't much info out there.  So, if I'm mistaken on any of these points, I'd love to hear about it.  Hope this helps you out some.

- Jason

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com