Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Mics for live Orchestra?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Doc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Which Mics for live Orchestra?
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:07:36 AM »
I've got a new budget for some mics.  This pair will be used primarily for recording orchestra/concert band/chorale in various school auditoriums.  My SP C4's (which you guys recommended <thanks) have been great, but if I don't spend the money now it will go to things like groceries, etc.

I found a pair of new AKG C4000Bs for $750 so that is my budget for these or some other suggestion.

The reason I THINK I would like the 4000s is the selectable pattern incl. hypercardioid.  Some of these auditoriums are VERY live - omni C4 was unusable, cardiods helped, maybe hypers would be better?  or just better cards?

I am open for any alternate suggestions
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:28:07 PM by Doc »
SP C4s > Kind Kables > Marantz 660 OADE Concert Mod
Matched ADK TLs > Mackie 1202-VLZ > Alesis ML9600

RebelRebel

Re: AKG C400B's for live Orchestra?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »
I would go for a pair of AT4050s...you can score them on ebay for 400 a piece. Recording orchestras is my gig, and I use 4050s all the time. Great mics.

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
Re: AKG C4000B's for live Orchestra?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:20:08 PM »
What mic configuration do you use? Where do you set up?
I have pretty much free reign for location of mics  ;D

RebelRebel

Re: AKG C4000B's for live Orchestra?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »
What mic configuration do you use? Where do you set up?
I have pretty much free reign for location of mics  ;D

it completely depends, but if the acoustics are good, I find either blumlein or jecklin to be superior.

Teddy

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Which Mics for live Orchestra?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »
I used a jecklin with my C4s=amazing.  One problem I have is that the high school aud is VERY live, lots of mushy reverb...which is why I was thinking the Hypers of the AKGs
Can you do the jecklin with cards or hypers?  Would blumlein eliminate the reverb problem?

Thanks

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
I used a jecklin with my C4s=amazing.  One problem I have is that the high school aud is VERY live, lots of mushy reverb...which is why I was thinking the Hypers of the AKGs
Can you do the jecklin with cards or hypers?  Would blumlein eliminate the reverb problem?

Thanks

no..blumlein would make it worse. yes, you can do jecklin with cards or hypers(though it isnt officially jecklin)...if I were you...if you are going to be in this hall all the time..just get a good pair of cardiods, and youll be fine. the 4050s are great.

if you cant get those, I would also suggest the neumann tlm193 pair.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 08:26:47 AM »
the c3000 and c4000 are horrible mics  >:(

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 10:39:11 AM »
Teddy,

Thanks for your input.  But now, after searching the forums I've come up with some alternatives.  Do you have any experience or knowledge about Studio Projects C3 or ADK A51TL

still looking for the 4050s on ebay (at a reasonable price & with a picture)

Doc
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:30:54 PM by Doc »

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:18:33 AM »
Teddy,

Thanks for your input.  But now, after searching the forums I've come up with some alternatives.  Do you have any experience or knowledge about STudio Projects C3 or ASK A51TL

still looking for the 4050s on ebay (at a reasonable price & with a picture)

Doc
I dont with either of those...but I DO know that Tony Faulkner(a legendary classical engineer and producer) uses NT-5s(rode)  twatts and others use the 51s, and Moke has too.

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »
Grainy when compared to $1,300 Neumanns or Schoeps, but clarity defined when compared to my SP C4s ?   ::)

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:21:09 PM »
Grainy when compared to $1,300 Neumanns or Schoeps, but clarity defined when compared to my SP C4s ?   ::)

there is a 4050 on ebay now for 400 even..

id grab it and wait for another..

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 06:58:23 AM »
I DO know that Tony Faulkner(a legendary classical engineer and producer) uses NT-5s(rode)  twatts and others use the 51s, and Moke has too.

Tony certainly has (or had) some NT5s which perhaps come out occasionally but they've never been in evidence on any of the work I've done with him; that's been all Neumann (vintage valves and modern solid state), Schoeps and AEA (not in any particular order).  It has to be said that TF's equipment choices are far more pragmatic than those of many other engineers. Alongside his high end gear he also uses some equipment that would surprise a lot of people. It's down to choosing equipment which makes practical sense in a given situation combined with his outstanding knowledge, technical and artistic abilities, and understanding of what's most important in getting a balance - i.e. putting the right mic(s) in the right place(s).

All that aside, the NT5s imo are decent enough mics and good value. They sometimes can tend towards being too bright/crunchy, and perhaps are noisy compared to many more expensive mics but used appropriately they can do a good job and for the money are well worth checking out. (I've not used any of the ADK range and I don't paricularly like Studio Projects stuff after some bad experiences with their reliability but I know people who have used SP stuff for a while and have had none of the problems I did so maybe I was unlucky.)

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »
Teddy,
Thanks for your help.  I tried and lost on a number of 4050 auctions on eBay.  Then I offerred a minimum bid on a matched pair of A51s and won!
Hopefully this was one of those kharma-meant-to-be-things

Now I will hit the forums for info on preamps/AD Conv.  for when I can use my laptop to record.....any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone

Doc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com